How to deal with verbal abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone offer advice on how to deal with verbal abuse and lies from an alcoholic friend?
    I tried to be supportive with his attempts to stop drinking,but when would you call it quits?
    How much !@#$ do you put up with before ending the friendship?

Can you give examples of things that he says? I was in a verbally abusive relationship many years ago.

Comment

It is hard to think about without crying but aside from name calling,he has wished me to be pissing myself in a wheelchair. (I have MS)
      He seems to go out of his way to cause pain and uses alcoholism as an excuse.

Comment

Foofy move away from them,Your not talking to a rational person when there abusive like this and you certainly don't deserve it,Move away from them and when they come to there sober senses,Then if you can talk to them but remember the only person who can help is themselves,It has to start with them.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

How much !@#$ do you put up with before ending the friendship
          NOT MUCH! Real friends don't cause too much crap without saying they are sorry and being able to discuss it and move forward not backwards.

Comment

And a REAL friend would not do it over and over again. You don't deserve that. I don't care if this person is drunk or not, you do NOT deserve to abused that way. Tell this person you can't see him until he treats you right, which may be never if he continues to drink.
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

foofy;1291329 wrote: It is hard to think about without crying but aside from name calling,he has wished me to be pissing myself in a wheelchair. (I have MS)
              He seems to go out of his way to cause pain and uses alcoholism as an excuse.
              Wow! It's time to call it quits on this "friendship." That's downright hateful. You teach people how they can treat you. You shouldn't allow anyone ever to speak to you like that. :l

Comment

sorry i agree with everyone... time to end it now... as long as they drink it will continue ... AND get worse. just make the break. when and if they sober up they will come back
                caper
                AF since Sept 2013...
                :alf:

Comment

Thank you all for your good advice.I have not spoken to this person for 5 days.He has been sober for close to a month now.He has been in therapy and is in AA as well.
                  Yes, he has apologized for these things but I cannot trust him anymore and I know that alcohol cannot be blamed for his lack of decency.What amazes me is how well he is able to hide not only his alcoholism but his (for lack of a better descriptor) personality problem.
                  How are people able to sustain any relationships with these problems??

Comment

foofy;1291422 wrote: How are people able to sustain any relationships with these problems??
                    They can't.

Until the problem is identified and truly dealt with, it will be a cycle. Not to say it can't be broken, but it takes a hell of a lot of work!
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Verbal abusers are usually very good at hiding their nature with other people. It's only with those they are closest to, those they feel will "take it," that they unleash their fury and their need to humiliate and belittle. And they are usually telling everyone else how the abused person has issues.

Comment

seems to me like you already know the answer to your question..
                        caper
                        AF since Sept 2013...
                        :alf:

Comment

@Caper564-I do.but I can't help but wonder about it and how people are able to live with verbal abuse and alcoholism.

Comment

FlyAway;1291464 wrote: Verbal abusers are usually very good at hiding their nature with other people. It's only with those they are closest to, those they feel will "take it," that they unleash their fury and their need to humiliate and belittle. And they are usually telling everyone else how the abused person has issues.
                            Absolutely! I can vouch for that.
                            Nobody deserves to be verbally abused by anyone whether they are drinking or not. I would tell this person that their behaviour is unacceptable and you no longer want to be around them and that you may reconsider if they do something about their drinking.

DO NOT keep taking this, it is ABUSE and you do not deserve it.

Stand Strong...
                            "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

An eye opening book for me after the fact was called The Verbally Abusive Relationship by Patricia Evans.

Comment

Working...
                              X