Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, new to this forum...

Hi there, :new:

My name is Briseus and I am 25 going onto 26 and have been drinking for the past 3-4 years...I have been drinking heavily the past year or so...sometimes even in the mornings.
    I have tried quitting in the past and had no issues with DTs or any of the sort...even 24 hours of sobriety I am fine. I don't shake or vomit, I just have some anxiety...because I crave booze.
    I have been reading a lot about people's withdrawals and I think I am thinking WAY too much about it and that is why I am afraid to quit cold turkey again.
    Anyways, I did drink about 1.5 to 3 litres a night (sometimes even 2 litres in a day into the night, although not often) of white wine at 12.5%.
    I did go and see my Doc on Tuesday to ask him how I can quit...he did suggest I taper off...first start off minimizing it by a 1/2 litre each day...
    I really don't want to prolong the drinking much longer but I am going to do what is suggested...and in a way, I don't mind, even though I do want to quit (A LOT) because it keeps the anxiety at bay.
    I would like to know what you guys thought about tapering and if anyone has succeeded by doing so?
    I have been on other forums where it is frowned upon and really, instead of support people tell me that it isn't going to work and that I should just quit cold turkey (even though my doc and addictions counsellor told me to just cut down if I can).

I was just looking for some success stories, wanted to say hi and give you my story.
    I really am done with drinking...I am losing self-respect...I gained 50lbs...it is putting a strain on my relationship with my boyfriend and I have disappointed my family.

Not only that, but now I am paranoid about drinking. :/ I have a bit of OCD as well so I think about things a little too much (pure obsessional thoughts)...
    I have been doing good tapering this week...going from over a bottle to a bottle to a bit less...but now there is a lot of wine at the house that I live at for Easter...

I don't know, just need a little support.
    I really do want to quit...I wish I was free from this beast.
    But when 5pm hits, I just want some wine and enjoy it!
    But sometimes I just can't control the consumption.
    I have been asking myself the question - am I an alcoholic or alcohol abuser?

I don't know.

But yea, thanks for listening. :thanks:

Hi Briseus.:welcome: I am of the belief that tapering does not work. I know that I probably could not have tapered, if I had gone that route. I was drinking about a half gallon of rum a night, sometimes less, but generally quite a bit. I quit cold turkey and didn't experience any kind of life-threatening withdrawals. I only went through sleeplessness, and a few other "normal" kinds of things, that I can't remember now, lol. It wasn't fun, but it didn't last that long.

The problem with tapering is that you are still drinking. And, obviously, if you have a problem with alcohol, cutting back or modding is an almost impossible task. It seems harder when you think about quitting altogether, but trust me, it is easier, if your goal is to become sober and alcohol-free (AF).

You will get a lot of support here, and it's the best place to be for those who are serious about quitting drinking. Keep posting and asking questions. Read a lot, and check out the Tool Box. Also, read and post in the Newbie's Nest, where lots of us come for companionship and support every day.

Again, Welcome!:l

"I like people too much or not at all."
    Sylvia Plath

Comment

Hi Briseus and welcome to MWO,This is a great community with lots of support and advice,Post your qustions and feelings as we all have or are going through what you will,Good luck and I hope you give yourself a chance to beat this.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi Briseus, I'm another one who tapering/moderating didn't work for. I was drinking 2 bottles of wine a time, up to 3 times a week. So for me the problem wasn't the frequency as such, it was just that once I started, I couldn't stop. I'm on day 19 now which is the longest I've gone without for about 3 years. I had no bad physical withdrawal but the mental one has been quite hard. I think most people struggle with that the most.

I haven't had any meds, just been doing it with the support of everyone here, plus the Jason Vale book "Kick the drink ... Easily" is excellent. Several of us here love that damn book lol - I can't stress enough how much it's helped me and strongly suggest you get it. Really changes your thinking which is key in the mental struggle to be AF.

Stick around, come over to the Newbies Nest, ask questions, read. Whatever you're going through I can guarantee someone else here will have been through the same!

Comment

Hi Briseus!

Welcome, we are glad you're here! I have to agree with the others, moderation for ME did not work, because once I was on my 5th or 6th beer, all my sane reasoning went out the door and I'd head off to buy another 12 pack. I just could not control it on my own, and I can't tell you how many times I TRIED. I had to quit cold turkey, but I did get some medication from the Doctor to avoid any severe withdrawal symptoms.

I think you'll find that once you quit drinking, your anxiety will greatly subside. I know mine did. Alcohol made me anxious, depressed and sad. Now I feel great (there are still ups and downs, lets be real...but overall I feel great).

I'm glad you've found us, and I hope you stick around. I look forward to getting to know you better and sharing in your journey. You CAN do this!

K9
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Hi Brieus! Welcome and great job on the next new chapter in life. There are tons of ups and downs. But it does get alot better. Talking about how we feel and where we want to go is a huge thing in recovery in my belief. So glad to have you here!:welcome:
            Started living again 2/7/2015

Comment

Hi B! Well done for finding this site and saying hello - for some of us that's a big achievement in itself! I also struggled greatly with anxiety, so just wanted to add that quitting is not a matter of willpower and intention - everything everyone has said is the way to go, but getting and taking the supplements will help HUGELY in overcoming the cravings. That's why everyone is advising you to go over to the Toolbox - it has all the info about what to do and what to take. Having a PLAN is also essential - making this change is not going to happen by chance..
              Good luck to you and keep coming back here - this place is a life-saver to many of us!!
              If you always think what you've always thought,
              You'll always feel what you've always felt.
              If you always feel what you've always felt,
              You'll always do what you've always done.
              If you always do what you've always done,
              You'll always get what you've always got.

3 Days AF = DONE
              6 Days AF = DONE
              14 Days AF = DONE
              21 Days AF = DONE
              28 Days AF = DONE
              30 Days AF = DONE
              60 Days AF = hmm, much bigger gap to this goal, but let's see if ODAAT works for this one too....

Comment

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome here! I will definitely check the Toolbox section out and read up as much as possible.
                The anxiety is definitely frustrating for me. I get anxiety when I drink and I get anxiety when I don't drink. :/ I have tried to taper down this week but it hasn't successfully worked for me. I guess I will just have to cut out the alcohol in general.

Thank you all again! I will make sure to post questions as I get more familiar with the forum! )

Comment

Hi Briseus -

Check out the holistic section - there are supplements that take the edge off the anxiety - and help the cravings. Or hit the nutrition threadnI started - or best - read both before you start - have your supplements and plan in place - you will feel more in control.

Welcome.
                  That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                  Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                  AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Welcome...I just started here a few weeks ago and everybody is so supportive. I love it here...most of us are going through the same thing. Keep coming back!
                    Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

Working...
                    X