How to Explain to Friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been sifting through to see if this has been addressed before so I apologize if I missed it. I'm wondering how to handle my quest for sobriety with my friends.

I'm a binge drinker, probably a full-out alcoholic that's not quite ready to admit it, but I'm definitely ready to make some changes. After a rocky couple of months, my fiance just told me that he struggles with the differences between the drunk me and the sober me. In some sense, those were words that I've been waiting for 20 years to hear (40 year old that's been drinking regularly since college). Someone likes me better sober than they do drunk and they'd like me to stay sober.

Like many others, I was the shy kid that learned to come out of her shell with alcohol. I went from being the awkward geek to the life of the party. My friends associate me with alcohol. My social life revolves around the bar. As a road warrior living in hotels just about every week, drinking is a part of our culture. Co-workers meet in the hotel bar every night and last night we even discussed that drinking is just what we did. My fiance is even a homebrewer and we have an entire room in our house filled with brewing beer. My entire life involves alcohol and I'm so mad and disappointed in myself that I can't control it or use it responsibly.

Most days I'm good - a drink or two to socialize - but the binging is definitely a problem and one that has been increasing. I tend to suppress my emotions only to explode when I drink. It's a total outlet for me and I keep thinking that if I learn to deal with feelings, I'll be able to drink responsibly. Now I'm wondering if I'm even capable of that. There's no reason for me not to be happy right now and yet I drink and get angry and explode.

So I've made the decision to change my drinking. I'm not really sure how much. Part of me thinks it needs to be completely cold turkey because once I start, I just don't know when to say when. But then there's a part of me that is so terrified that my entire identity will go right out the door without a drink in my hand. I've had my moments where I've tried to curtail the drinking - the peer pressure was relentless. Everyone making comments that it's just not right when I don't have a drink in my hand. I've drank when I didn't even feel like it but the situation called for it. Afterwards...I feel so weak.

I know my friends would totally support me in my decision - at least my close friends. I'm pretty sure they've talked behind my back about my drinking habits. But I'm still uncertain how to approach things with them. I've read that you simply say "no thank you" and you don't need to explain. I understand that but on the other hand, I'd like to tell folks that I'm working to make some changes and I ask that they support me and not pressure me. Having tried this in the past - it tends to open a discussion and next thing I know - we rationalized things down to "I can have a beer or two and it's no big deal".

Is this just an excuse? If I were strong enough would I just be able to do things on my own and not feel the need to explain things to everyone? I'm wondering if I even have the courage and discipline to change things. Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

Hmm, a very legitimate and common question. Once we gain confidence in being AF, it's easier to handle. If people have seen you the worse for wear it's a relief for them to see your effort. I've used "my liver's having a vacation", "watching carbs", "I just feel better w/o alcohol", etc. Unless it's a close friend people really don't notice as much as we think they do. I've told a close long-distance friend about my being AF and it's clear the subject made her uncomfortable even though she is a 2 glass o wine per day gal.

I realize she's just uncomfortable about subjects of emotion/dependancy. She loves her red wine and when I see her later in the year, I'll take her a nice bottle of red to ease her discomfort. She does the homemade red which is evil!
    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Hi jb and :welcome:

I can sure idenitify with a lot of your story. I too used to be a "road warrier" spending every night in the bar with co-workers. My social live revolved around alchohol. In the end, my entire life revolved around alcohol as things progressively got worse. I too became a "jekyll and hyde" person with my husband. I got NASTY when I was drunk. It wasn't always that way, but it got worse with the years.

What to tell (or not tell) friends is an interesting question, and you will get many opinions. Ultimately you will decide for yourself what works for you in your life and environment.

For me? I was afraid of the same things. I knew I needed to stop drinking, but I didn't really want to and couldn't imagine my life without alcohol in it. I worried about what people would think. I thought I was a weak person because I had this "problem." My opinion has changed on much of that as I have learned more about addiction, and have changed my entire life for the better in sobriety.

I have very very few of the same old friends. I have a different career. My life no longer revolves around alochol and drinking, and cravings and urges. I am engaged in work and activities that I find meaningful and rewarding. I avoid alcohol filled places not because I have to any more (I definitely had to initially, to get sober) but because there is usually no reason for me to be there.

I LOVE my life today. I wouldn't go back to my old life for any amount of money in the world. I guess I share that so you can have a ray of hope that the changes you are considering might be difficult and scary at first, but they can be very powerful and positive.

Good luck to you!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

For the most part, I have no issues with telling my friends that I am AF. Most if not all are for me being sober and its usually the people that I don't get to see very often or don't know me that I sometimes will run into problems with. One guy even tried to tell me that 1 shot wouldn't hurt but I knew the truth. I just told him no that I don't drink anymore and he eventually left me alone. Every now and then I get the "well maybe someday you can have a beer now and then" line but I know that I couldn't do that. I may be able to do that for a period of time, but it wouldn't be long until I was drunk off my butt so I will just avoid drinking all together. Everyone is different. Some are all the way open and some are not. Ran across this article which may help you. When someone at a party asks why you're not drinking, what do you say? | The Fix
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I found the first couple of times with friends a little difficult, but really after 2 or 3 ocassions I don,t think anyone noticed or even cared! It does get easier each time, I sometimes arrive drinking a can of diet coke,that way no one asks if you want a drink! Good friends will leave it at that and respect your decision not to drink. People who badger you to take a drink and keep on about it, are not really the kind of friends I would want anyway! Remember it does get easier.

Comment

Hi jb!

Welcome to MWO, this is a great place

I have been amazed seeing how some people really struggle with this question/issue.
            Personally, I look at it quite differently! If you know you need/want to stop drinking just do it & remember that you DO NOT owe anyone an explanation!!!
            I simply tell people that I feel better when I don't drink & change the conversation. We are adults & simply do not owe anyone an explanation - end of story!

Please drop in the Newbies Nest thread for more support.
            Wishing you the best!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks so much everyone for the thoughts and support. It's so nice to find folks that understand. I am currently at a client site (software go-live) and it's not even 8 in the morning when the first text from a co-worker arrived. Today is our last day onsite and everyone wants to "do up the town" tonight. I'm glad I found a place to turn to here.

Comment

Great and helpful response, Lavande! I've struggled with this too and that's exactly along the lines I've been thinking. Thanks JB for raising the question

Comment

Working...
                X