kinda new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kinda new here

i have been an off and on visitor here for a little while and honestly should be here more often because I definitely do appreciate this community. Anyway, I really have been struggling with my addiction to alcohol, particularly the past 3 - 4 days. i have been at my worst, yesterday drinking beer and then anything else I could get ahold of at 8am was not something I am proud of I dont know who to talk to about this and I really dont want to disclose my problems to anyone in person cause this is pretty shameful and embarrassing. my family and friends know I like to drink but nobody knows how much i am really struggling with this. basically I am posting this to vent a little and obviously the anonymous nature of the forum makes it a little easier. Does anyone have any advice or good tips to for cutting back or quitting altogether. I know this is not going to be easy and I am hoping I can just get through today without having any alcohol. just knowing that there are others out there who are in the same situation and have overcome this would be encouraging for me.

kinda new here

Hi there pscb - the first thing is - NO SHAME OR EMBARASSMENT. Not here. we are all in the same boat!! As you know as you have been around for some time you need to check out the tool box for hints and tips on how to cut down or stop - read, post - loads of helpful folk - do you want to stop or just cut down? You have posted before and know the drill - what are you plans? I am in the midst of stopping....AGAIN. And know I HAVE to have a plan! So, try and get a plan together and go from there - I wish you all the best my friend......

Sun
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

kinda new here

pscb123;1311430 wrote: i have been an off and on visitor here for a little while and honestly should be here more often because I definitely do appreciate this community. Anyway, I really have been struggling with my addiction to alcohol, particularly the past 3 - 4 days. i have been at my worst, yesterday drinking beer and then anything else I could get ahold of at 8am was not something I am proud of I dont know who to talk to about this and I really dont want to disclose my problems to anyone in person cause this is pretty shameful and embarrassing. my family and friends know I like to drink but nobody knows how much i am really struggling with this. basically I am posting this to vent a little and obviously the anonymous nature of the forum makes it a little easier. Does anyone have any advice or good tips to for cutting back or quitting altogether. I know this is not going to be easy and I am hoping I can just get through today without having any alcohol. just knowing that there are others out there who are in the same situation and have overcome this would be encouraging for me.
      Welcome aboard first and foremost....that shows at least a small amount of desire for you to stop the drink.

Welcome as well to the its early in the AM the house is empty is game on...or as I liked to call it....beer thirty. I too was progressing in the downward spiral of drinking as soon as I woke up, and that scared the HELL out of me, because "usually" in the am, the thought of AL sickened me.

I respect and understand your desire not to shout to the rooftops, that you have an issue with AL, but I personally think its a good idea to share with a very trusted person, it will help you with accountability. I find it easier sometimes to reach goals, if I have to live up to something someone else knows about.

I didnt taper off, so I cant help you there, I just quit altogether, after an AL induced trip to the ICU unit. We shall refer to that hereforwherwithin as my "rock bottom"

The single best piece of advice that helped me out, was to redirect my brain. When an urge hit, I would tell myself...I dont drink and simply try to think of something else, ANYTHING else. Pretty soon, the urges were fewer and farther, and it was easier to dismiss them.

If you really want this....it can be done, wont be easy, but it will be worth it
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
      X