Breaking the weekend binge habit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new here. My biggest issue is the weekend. During the week, I am working and busy so I don't seem to have an issue. When Friday rolls around, I lose control. On the way home in the car, I am thinking about that first drink. One drink turns into many and before I know it, I have consumed over a bottle of wine. I usually then also will binge eat after I have drank too much. Same thing Saturday. I can't seem to break this vicious cycle. My first goal is to make it to Memorial Day weekend without a drink. Any thoughts of wisdom on getting through that first weekend?
    :new:

MM, I think the weekends are particularly tough for many and that the methods to keep from drinking are basically the same. You have to have a plan and change your life such that you're doing something different. During your trigger times, exercise instead, take a hot bath, watch t.v., read, post here. I read a ton of books on addiction, make sure I eat very healthy foods, etc. You might want to try some of the supplements you can get from this site - L Glutamine, Kudzu, etc (the store can be found on the main page. You can also download the MWO book from the store.

There is a wealth of information on this site - look at the Newbie's Nest under Just Starting out for daily support while you're getting a few weekends under your belt. Go to the Toolbox under Monthly Abstinence for suggestions on how to make a plan. Be sure to scroll through all the pages because things get buried.

Wishing you the best - it's hard but can be done. Many here are having success. Also, look for weekend threads under Just Starting Out starting on Friday.

xx,
    UN

Comment

Hi MM and Welcome!

I can relate to your cycle of drinking on weekends, although I was a DAILY drinker and I thought I was pretty functioning, but looking back, I really wasn't. I was surviving the days instead of really living them. Some nights I'd be getting undressed and not remember actually putting those clothes on that morning because I was still in a fog from the night before...that's not really "functioning" is it? I know the weekends can seem daunting at first. I think the hardest thing is wondering what you will do with all that time that you'd normally be drinking. I drank at home only, so my first few nights I had to stay away, I went to the movies, shopping, the park, library, etc. When I was ready to tackle a night at home, I made small changes to my drinking "spot", rearranged some furniture, moved some lamps...I just wanted a new "view". It may sound dumb but it worked. Once you have gotten through the first weekend, each one gets MUCH easier. Like UW said, read a book, watch TV, go for a walk, give yourself a facial, polish your nails, clean a closet...whatever it takes to get through it. You CAN do this....there is living proof all over these boards that it can be done. Keep posting, we're rooting for you!

K9
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
      X