Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking advice, tips and tricks

Hello everyone!

I found this site while typing in "quit drinking forums" into google. I am happy to see that there are others out there in my shoes.

Well, lets get started. 6 days ago, I made a committment to myself and my wife that I would hang up the drinking gloves. The first few days were extremely tough and the sensations and cravings come back in waves. I started drinking heavily when I was 14. Since then, I have served 4 years in the navy honorably, graduated with my bachelors and have a good job. During that time, I was drinking heavily every night... just to get to sleep. Now, my wife and I have a beautiful son named Jack that has turned my world upside down in all the right ways!

The reason I am posting is to seek a little help with some tips and ideas on how to curb the cravings without turning into a fat slob... I started to eat a lot of junk food, i.e. candy as that is what I am craving. I have noticed that my sleep is getting better and the night sweats have subsided and I am less irritable during the day. But like I said, the bad feelings come in waves, so I desperately need some advice, tips, voodoo or whatever else any of you have found that has helped you.

Thanks for your ears!

Thanks for the help!

Mollyka,

I appreciate your insight and help with this! I am facing a troubling situation next weekend. I have to go to a bachelor party and 40th wedding anniversary, all in the same day. My family is Irish (not saying all Irish drink) and indulge for the slightest excuse to get a buzz. I was always the life of the party, but now I am going to go at this alone. I am truly kinda nervous about my will power. You are right though, the cravings have subsided a bit, but come on like a hurricane sometimes.

One day at a time I guess.

Comment

Also forgot to mention that I was casted in a movie and have a leading role... not sure how I fell into this, but I cannot imagine the pressures and stress without a bottle next to me!

Comment

Hi Moon and welcome! You are in a great place...you will find the support here is awesome!!!!! I have found supplements are key to staying sober. L-Glut and Kudzu work wonders for those nasty cravings...Milk Thistle helps the liver along with magnesium and Omega 3. Keep posting on here and reading other posts....you are not alone!!!!!!!
        AB Club Member
        AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Moontribe, as for the candy, sweets cravings, I've recently found Tootsie Pops to be very satisfying, plus they last about 10-15 minutes. They are also only 60 calories a pop. Try caramel and chocolate! There's lots of flavors.

Lg

"I like people too much or not at all."
          Sylvia Plath

Comment

Thanks everybody! I have been doing alot better since my first post. My wife has been wonderful and the cravings have subsided with the exception of when we go out to say a barbecue with friends or other events where there is booze flowing like a river of temptation. I am a little nervous about this weekend as my family is a bunch of lushes and I am going downstate for a bachelor party! This is going to be real tough!!!

Comment

Welcome moon! You don't have to go at this alone, we're all here for you. I strongly suggest taking Destiniey's advice and take some Kudzu and L-Glutamine. Try Kudzu in the morning and afternoon, and take the L-Glut when you feel a craving coming on. I would take it before the party you're going to, for sure. I found that they really help take the temptations away. I got my Kudzu from a local health food store, brand name "Solaray" and it works great. I got the L-Glut from GNC, both in a powder form and in some soft chews that I can keep in my pocket for craving 'emergencies'. Good luck this weekend!
              AF Since: June 8

Comment

Working...
              X