Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't beak the habit

Hi JackieClaire
    I've not been doing very well lately, I kind of gave up for a while. Now I want to try again. You're right, planning is the key. If I don't plan I will mess up. Thanks for replying and encouraging me X
    I must not become sentimental and thinking about the good times. In the end it just takes over my life and I have no other life.

Comment

can't beak the habit

Now I've got to think of a plan. I had 2 bottles of wine today after a long and gruelling night shift. Now I'm full of guilt and hating myself. I can't even sleep. I don't know if I can do this, but I have to. It helps to read the success stories after many of you have struggled. It proves it can be done. I forget how bad I feel with a hangover after even just one day of not drinking, and just carry on the cycle. X
      I must not become sentimental and thinking about the good times. In the end it just takes over my life and I have no other life.

Comment

can't beak the habit

i'm sorry to hear how you're feeling ST!
        i know exactly where you are. and i have the exact same short term memory. i'm just on day 4 today and am checking here every 15 minutes or so to read and stay strong. i know i don't want to drink and i know it will get easier with time. in the newbies nest we have a 30 day boot camp going on. lots of people have joined. you start on the day you start and make a commitment to get 30 days af--with the help and support of everyone else. check it out, if you like. i've decided it should be possible for me to do 30 days. i'm not making a life long decision. jusst giving myself the chance to see how i feel after 30 days without drinking. it's like a little gift to myself. at the end of 30 days i can reevaluate-- at least with a somewhat clearer mind.
        big hugs. don't beat yourself up too much.

Comment

can't beak the habit

Thanks LifeChange
          I have almost completed my day 1 AF. Tomorrow will be a challenge. I may join that 30 day boot camp you mentioned. Though just struggling with a few days at the moment:thanks:

Comment

can't beak the habit

Soberthoughts, boy do I hear you. I have a job this week with two completely unreasonable bosses. I wanted nothing more than to suck back a pint of vodka last night. But with the assistance of C. S. Lewis (my summer project is trying to re-read all my favorite childhood books), I was able to enter a carefree alternate reality alcohol-free.

I found it interesting that you said you find it easier to stay AF on your days off. I'm just the opposite. Often my wife and I are on the road for work (at different times), and one of us is at home alone, and the drinking became a way of coping with the loneliness, boredom and stress of being apart.

Comment

can't beak the habit

Hi Aihflvt
              Great idea to read, you can lose yourself in a good book. On my days off I am usually completely hungover from the night before. I also have to watch it when I get bored and lonely. Generally though I find days off easier as I have a greater choice of distractions, and don't feel too stressed to fight it. When my hangover starts to wear off tho I do get tempted. And when I have felt particularly bad I have been known to take ' a hair of the dog', kidding myself I am tapering off :H Some bosses really do drive us to drink, I know

Comment

can't beak the habit

Hi ST!

I have to agree that reading is a great way to spend your time. I've read an average of 1-2 books per week since I quit. I've always liked to read, but I used to read and drink at the same time, which is not a good idea....it took me a month to finish one book since I would have to read the pages over and over. LOL
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

can't beak the habit

Hi K9Lover
                  Well I'm back on day 1 (again) so reading tons is definitely on my agenda today. I know what you mean about having to reread books lol. I was invited out tonight to a bar/club but have decided to go swimming on my own instead. I really hope this gets easier

Comment

Working...
                  X