Giving up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving up

:new: Hi just thought I would introduce myself.My name is Mick,live in the UK, and I am 56 tomorrow.After many years of drinking,I have decided to give up I retired from work 12 months ago from a Civil Service managerial post after having a stroke.I currently work as a volunteer with rescue animals,On average I am drinking about a bottle and a half of vodka per week as well as strong lager.The reasons I want to give up drinking is firstly to prolong my life expectancy.....I sometimes get down at the thought of dying(something that comes to us all)so I want to enjoy as much as I can.
    Secondly I recovered pretty well from the stroke, which was not only determination on my part, but also through the skills of consultants...what a waste of their time if I carry on in this vein!I have tried before to stop,but as you do,kept coming up with the silly excuses like "tomorrow", just the one etc...trouble is it is never just the one!So here goes I am determined this time
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Giving up

Happy birthday for tomorrow!
    You are a strong man! You can do this! Try looking at al for what it is.. A fluid! Don't loose your life to a drink! You've worked so hard to get over a stroke! Keep moving forward!
    All the best

Comment

Giving up

:welcome: Mick,

And a very Happy Birthday to you. Going AF, what a fantastic gift to yourself.

Don't know if you've already had a look in the toolbox, but it's a good read. Just click on the link below.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Glad you found us.

J x
      :l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Giving up

Hi Michelle..on to Day 2 now actually looking forward to it without alcohol.I am at a meeting tonight too which takes place in a pub, so I am driving there..thatll curb any notions of drink
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Giving up

Hi Jackie, thanks.Yep had a look in the toolbox..some really good stuff in there.I am keeping a daily(well almost hourly diary of how I feel etc,cravings and how to manage them.Just looking out of the window were I am..the sun is shining,my garden overlooks fields trees and a stream.There are horses and cattle in the fields,and I think now why would I want to screw this up with alcohol?there is no rhyme or reason to it.Looked at how long you have been af....youve done really well.
          Ps like your avatar!x

Comment

Giving up

Welcome Mick! What a beautiful view you have!!!! My avatar is the view from my bedroom window and many times I have wondered why I drink so much when I am so lucky and blessed to have what I have. You are a very strong person to overcome a stroke like you have and you obviously have a heart of gold for working with rescue animals. You have so much to offer this world and what a wonderful gift to give yourself on your birthday....to be sober!!!!! It is hard....and sometimes we fall on our faces...but everyone here is so supportive and have helped me to get back on the wagon many times!!!!! Head on over to the Newbies Nest under Just Starting Out...you will find ALOT of support there! Best of luck to you!!!!!!
            AB Club Member
            AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Giving up

:welcome: Mick

I am in the UK too. My drinking really got out of control when I got post natal depression.

I think you are definitely doing the right thing, hope to "see" you around.

Check out the Tool Box thread in Monthly Abstinence section, for ideas when you are struggling and also NewbiesNest as others have mentioned , to get you started. Also why not read some of the stories in My Story section.

You will find this site a fantastic resource if you use it wisely.

Good luck

Sausage x
              Day 133 AF

Oh and happy birthday for tomorrow!

Comment

Giving up

Hi sausage and Destiniey.. thanks for mail...well this is day 2 for me kept myself busy and to be honest havent thought a lot about drink.. how are you doing?

Comment

Working...
                X