being brave and facing day 1 again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been trying to give up my drinking for ages. I've tried so many times that I hope I can actually do this time. I have reduced the amount I drink each week but still over do 3 days a week. I know Im binge drinking but it's the only way I truly relax. I have great family, a great job. No one at my work would even know that I struggle with drink. I worry about my family though. They see me drinking. Although I have alot in my life I feel that I have also let alto slip away. I've been numb to cope but its made me let alto of things slip away. Im way over weight , I look tired, I don't have the close friendships I used to have. I don't know where to start and what to look forward to. I'm sorry to go on but it is good to face up to what I've done to myself. Thanks for reading this.

Hey welcome, Kotuku, you've come to the best place to begin your journey. The first step is realizing you have a problem. You are on your way. There are many here that can advise you better than I can because, although I have been here for 3 years, I am only at the beginning of seriously kicking alcohol to the curb. Some of us need many quits before we find our REAL quit. Day 15 for me. Hopefully you can learn from us relapsers and just get on with it.

Read everything you can on this forum. It is a wealth of thoughtful information, kindred spirits, sage advice and tools to help you give up your need for alcohol.

We can beat this beast. Others will be along shortly to guide you along. xoxo
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

:welcome: Kotuku from another Kiwi, albeit one living in Aus.

Please come join us in Newbies Nest. We have a great little family of support going there and a bunch of us are in the first week aiming for a 'boot camp' of 30 days free. You don't have to do this to come post, however, but hopefully it might help you want to Either way, it's a good place to share and get support from others struggling at the starting point. There is also a down under people thread going here: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...uly-66564.html

And, if you haven't found it yet, the https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html is a great place to start getting inspired.

Welcome.

Lilly

Comment

:welcome: Hi Kotuku....Day 2 for me keep going you will make it
        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

HI and welcome, I don't have any real reason for abusing al but still I do... wishing you success on your AF journey
          Taking it ODAT

Comment

Hello Kotuku and welcome to SR! *hugs!*

I am with Mauri in a way - I don't really have any real reason either as to why I abuse alcohol...eventually I would drink just to get rid of the shitty hangovers that I didn't want to deal with.
            So my day 1 was definitely tricky after avoiding that feeling for a couple of years.

I like you, have gained weight, I looked tired and bloated all the time, my skin was red, I felt like crap and didn't want to do anything and I lost a lot of friends because I became a hermit and just drank alone at my apartment.
            It is hard...no one said that change in general was easy so it is a process...day 1s are the worst...and I hated going through them over and over and am hoping that the last one I had, IS my last one.
            One day at a time though.

Something that I seriously live by now is the saying:
            "Nothing changes if nothing changes".

Back in the day (about a year ago when I realized I might have a problem) people would say this to me and I would get pissed because I didn't get it and I didn't want to get it.
            I guess at that time I just wasn't ready to stop my boozin'.
            But it is true...I need to not only learn to not pick up that first drink but I need to change my behaviour.
            It's scary as hell and you have your shitty days...but...and again; something you may have heard of before...my worst day sober is better then my best day drunk.
            I hope I said that write (lol! - it's getting late here!).

Hang in there. Post here. You are heading in the right direction. You have admitted to yourself that you may have a problem - no one can do this but you - and you can work on this. Work your own program - whatever you choose. Everyone here will support you whatever path you decide to embark on and that is why MWO is so great.
            If you need advice you will get a boatload of it.

The first week is tricky - particularly the first five days and your first sober weekend...but it is well worth it.
            We are all here for you. Rooting for you.
            Get your bum to day 3! You will wake up and not regret it!

Lots of luv.
            Bri

Comment

Working...
            X