New here and have a med question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there. I feel like I've found my people reading through all of these boards. I'm glad to have found you. I drink wine to self medicate my depression and have started to get sick of what I'm doing to myself and want to stop but not "socially" (just one or two at dinner on the weekends out of the house is what I'm thinking right now). I'm wondering if anyone can speak to any success with the MWO approach doing everything except the prescription drug component. My main concern is that I take Lexapro and Trazodone and I am hesitant to add more meds... I also have a high level job and am concerned about the short term cognitive impairment side effects. Any input would be much appreciated.

Hi Culater and welcome to MWO, I dont do meds myself but maybe if you asked here they could be of more help :goodjob:

Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds - My Way Out Forums

Good move on taking the first giant step

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

My MD would NOT Rx Topa

He said it's not FDA approved for alcohol treatment, has many side affects, including blocking neurotransmitters totally unrelated to those that cause cravings. He's a leading addiction psychiatrist, and feels Topa is overkill...especially at the escalating levels of MWO.

He's put me on Naltrexone, which for me had an immediate affect. Be sure to coordinate your treatment with a doc that knows all your meds. Everyone brings different "baggage" (for lack of a better word) to treatment, and your doctor should have a comprehensive plan for you. Kudzu will help, but you may want something stronger and medicinally proven to affectively address cravings which our brains WILL throw at us.

Good luck and :welcome:
      Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
      When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Thanks

I am thinking that I would like to try with just the supps at first- maybe I am kidding myself! I just am scared of rxs since my brain chemistry is already so fragile and I'm stable (if you've been dpressed you know how valuable that is!)

So I am trying to get a sense of what the best supps are and I'll give that a try first...also with this forum which is great, wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
        X