Don't Ever Give Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't Ever Give Up

Hello all! I'm relatively new here, and this is day 3 of sobriety in what started as a 30 day AF prior to an attempt at moderation. I still will try moderation at some point, but my fellow "nesters" have opened my eyes to the fact that many before me have tried and failed. SO I'm a little scared right now about moderation, yet I'm also hopeful that I can get through today, and at a minimum 27 more to follow.

I woke this morning thinking "this isn't that bad, it's really pretty easy." Then I read a few posts which were supportive of my efforts and got very emotional. I'm not used to letting myself cry, but decided to be in the emotion, and let it wash over me. I was reminded of one of the most inspiring speaches I've ever heard. It was by the late Jimmy Valvano, who days before he died, was awarded the Arthur Ashe Courageous Acheivement award. Jimmy V could barely walk or support himself for days leading up to the speach. He had to be helped to the podium by Dick Vitale. But his emotion got him so riled up that he actually started pacing during his delivery. You can watch the speech here:

Jim Valvano's ESPYs Speech: Video, Transcript

If you choose not to watch, here's my favorite part: To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.
    Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
    When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Don't Ever Give Up

D - like I posted in the Nest earlier, Jim Valvano is near and dear to my heart. I live in Raleigh, so his picture is plastered up just about every where you go. What an inspiration he was and still is. I often go back to that speech that you linked to above.

Also, I visited his grave the other day in Oakwood Cemetery. We had a nice talk. Here is a pic of his resting place:

Comment

Don't Ever Give Up

Wow, rooni...thanks for the picture! I loved the speech so much that I watch it a couple of times a year, even before I started this journey. When I was sitting with my emotions earlier today, the speech came back to me, and I had to watch it again. Maybe we're the only ones that appreciate it as much as we do, but Jimmy V taught me a whole lot, and continues to do so every time I watch it! What a great man.

Comment

Don't Ever Give Up

I just watched the speech again, and of course I'm crying my eyes out. Seems so selfish of me to be sitting here feeling sorry for myself about my alcohol addiction when I can do something about it. This is something totally in my control. And then there's Jim Valvano - a wonderful man who could not control his cancer. God, I'm so pathetic for sitting here feeling so bad about things in my life when I am healthy. I have my life! I can do this!

Comment

Don't Ever Give Up

Hey, Rooni...don't beat yourself up, we all have problems and issues we deal with, even the great Jimmy V. (Remember, he finished his career as a commentator, even though his passion was coaching!) Do as Jimmy V urges us all to do: Remember where we came from, know where we are, and always dream about where we want to be. Work hard to get there. Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Comment

Don't Ever Give Up

D, congrats on 3 days...you can do this!
            ITGeekChick

Comment

Don't Ever Give Up

ITGC...as I put my head down in a few minutes, I realize it's after midnight. Low and behold I've made it. Three whole days, who'd of thought! Wish I had my hypnotherapy cd to listen to, but left it at the office. I'll just have to try to self hypnotize as it teaches.

Day four begins, I hope to make it again!

Comment

Don't Ever Give Up

Hi dFromCt and welcome to MWO, Have you read the tool box ? Its full of really helpful posts and ideas that one can use in this huge battle,You can find it here in the Monthly abstinence thread at the top,good luck and well done on your first 3 days, You can do this.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Don't Ever Give Up

Thanks, Mario. I'm busy as can be at work, thus very little posting during the day today, but I made it through day 3, and feel good about completing day 4. I REALLY appreciate everyone's help and support! Dave

Comment

Don't Ever Give Up

What an inspirational guy. Thanks for posting that link D. To Laugh, to think and to cry...I think I can do that...It's great to think we have the simple tools to make or break our day within us and not something that is given to us or anything else that is external for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X