If it feels good............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In our drinking life's, One of the flippant sayings we heard was, if it feels good do it. We hear that less often in sobriety, Though it sometimes appears on a bumper sticker or as a casual comment. And if we learned anything in sobriety it is we know that this remark is really a permit for disaster. We drank to feel good but we often ended up feeling terrible.
    Yet the same slogan properly understood can be useful for the recovering alcoholic. We all want to feel good but a drink means temporary pleasure followed by pain, guilt,remorse and ruin,
    This is not really feeling good it is a nightmare of the worst feelings we can imagine.
    Happy sobriety does feel good, even though it may include short term discomfort or temporary boredom. The long run tendency of sobriety is toward having peace of mind,feeling good about ourselves and using our talents and opportunities wisely.This is the mature way to feel good,but we achieve it only by thinking and acting in the right ways.

Perhaps our slogan could be, If it makes you feel good now and in the future, Do it

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

so true, Mario...now that I've finally started to venture out amongst drinking people at times (after 9 months - LOL!) I've heard so many times - about me NOT drinking..."Ya gotta LIVE!" They pity me that I am missing out on the "fun" that they're having...and I can get caught up in that thought sometimes too...but like you said...the reality is that for me - when I was drinking - I lived a shell of a life. The quality of my existence has increased so so dramatically since I stopped last September...THIS is living. Yes, I gotta live...and I can't do that with alcohol taking over and blurring my very existence...:-)

~Lola
    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Good advice Mario. Nice to see you posting!

Lolab, I just realized that I never thought of you as Lola B., but as Lo Lab, lol!:H

"I like people too much or not at all."
      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Dear Mario,

It is so nice to actually post to you in person and tell you that it was your posts that brought me back to MWO after a five year hiatus... I read your I AM YOUR DISEASE dozens of times and downloaded your Avatar on to my desktop to remind me of what I wanted to do now...My kids still answer the phone some time, " Hi , This is ....How doing you?" They wanted to know who the guy on my computer desktop was so I told them that's my friend from Ireland whose learning English... :H. There are very proud of you!

Your words up above are once again wise and on target especially as I struggle in my early days here. And since instant gratification takes too long for someone like me, I believe I better stick with the long term instead.

Hugs to you
        :l
        And keep working on that English
        On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
        *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

LOL kradle...:-)

You're one of many - library girl...please forgive me - I was probably drunk when I came up with my lame screen name. :-)
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

LibraryGirl;1348834 wrote: Good advice Mario. Nice to see you posting!

Lolab, I just realized that I never thought of you as Lola B., but as Lo Lab, lol!:H
            Me too!
            Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

maybe I should go with it...sign my name Lo....yeah, that's what I'll do...I think that's what Jolie calls me anyway .
              ~

Comment

Good post Mario
                Too many time in the past i have said this with out looking into the future , not any more.
                I read on this site some where about having to learn how to live and feel again with out Al being in our lives, some times i feel i was like a child when i was drinking not caring about others feeling or consequences and in many ways i now feel i have grown up (all be it 20 odd years too late).
                I now know what feels good now because it's only when we are sober that we really feel.
                AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Kradle123;1348910 wrote: Dear Mario,

It is so nice to actually post to you in person and tell you that it was your posts that brought me back to MWO after a five year hiatus... I read your I AM YOUR DISEASE dozens of times and downloaded your Avatar on to my desktop to remind me of what I wanted to do now...My kids still answer the phone some time, " Hi , This is ....How doing you?" They wanted to know who the guy on my computer desktop was so I told them that's my friend from Ireland whose learning English... :H. There are very proud of you!

Your words up above are once again wise and on target especially as I struggle in my early days here. And since instant gratification takes too long for someone like me, I believe I better stick with the long term instead.

Hugs to you
                  :l
                  And keep working on that English
                  Thanks kradle :blush: I always have found MWO one of the best tools I have used in my battle with alcohol,delighted that you find some my posts helpfull just as I have found so many others helpfull to me, keep reading and posting kradle,It all helps so much :goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                  X