Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking dreams

Hey everyone-

I was very upset to have to force myself to wake at 6 AM because I was having a drunk dream. I have 2 weeks sober (time flies!) and feeling good, so why is my subconscious mind still 'picking up'? I had one last week where I was at a baby shower and everyone was drinking. I got upset and left... At least I knew not to drink in that dream. I hope this is not a bad sign..

Anyone else had this experience?

:teeter:
    Liath

Drinking dreams

I have had quite a few liath, If you have been drinking for years sure we cant expect our subconscious mind to forget about it, They are just dreams and they should fade into the distance as you get your new life in order :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Drinking dreams

i now have dreams where i drink and i am so upset since i have been sober for almost 6 months. the worst is i have 2 different times dreamed that i got another DWI and i am always devastated. it is all i can do to wake up and know that it was bnot real
      I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
      sober since 2/4/12

Comment

Drinking dreams

I think it goes to show the power of addiction - I still have smoking dreams 11 years after my last cigarette.

Comment

Drinking dreams

From what I have read, it is common to have "drinking dreams" after abstaining for a period of time. It's what you're most ashamed of, or feel most vulnerable about, maybe. Like the dreams that you go to work (or school) and realize you're naked.

"I like people too much or not at all."
          Sylvia Plath

Comment

Drinking dreams

Liath,
            Don't let the dreams throw you off course. I think they happen to just about all of us. Mine went on probably for a year or so. They are odd but harmless. I think they actually helped me strengthen my resolve to remain AF
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Drinking dreams

Thanks Lavande. I had ANOTHER one this morning. This time I was at a party at my parents house.. My cousins and sisters were around and I REALLY wanted a beer.. a drink of any kind really. I knew my dad keeps beer in a downstairs fridge... so I waited until everyone was occupied. I cracked the beer and a voice inside my head said, "You are going to ruin your sobriety date.. what will you tell your sponsor and your new AA friends??" I knew I could turn back, dump out the beer (no harm done) but another, more powerful voice, said NO ONE HAS TO KNOW. I slammed the beer in seconds, just like I had never quit.. I instantly wanted another. We went out and the whole rest of the night I was trying to figure out how I could get another drink.. I was thinking my cousin would facilitate if I explained it to her in the right way.

God, my mind is sick! How am I ever going to make this stick if this is whats lurking in my subconscious???
              Liath

Comment

Drinking dreams

Don't judge yourself or your committment to sobriety by your dreams. I can tell you I've had some doozies in the past that I don't even want to analyze because they seemed SO crazy! Drinking was a huge part of your life, it's normal that your brain reverts to it from time to time. Dreams are a way of keeping your brain active during sleep, they don't necessarily reflect any deep rooted desires. Thank goodness because I am one sick puppy if they do. LOL

Don't over-think it. You're feeling good being sober. Focus on that...and keep up your great work!!!
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Drinking dreams

LIATH:

Great thread!

I'm 31 days and a few weeks ago I had a dream iwas sneaking a drink in front of Robeta Jewell. :H

Dream IMHO are only our subconscious cleaning house. Taking stray random thoughts and weaving them into weird sometimes coherent scenerios which then get tossed...
                  Otherwise i would go nuts..well more than I am already,

Hugs,
                  :l:l
                  On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                  *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Drinking dreams

I had a drinking dream just the other day and I half been AF 13 months (14 on the 21st!). I am glad that they are just dreams because I do not miss my drinking days.
                    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Drinking dreams

Just the other night I had a dream that I was trying to bury about 100,000 beer bottles in the ground. Not an easy task, and they kept popping out of ground after I buried them. I'm thinking the symbolism is fairly clear :P

Comment

Working...
                      X