Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse Newbie

Rooni,
    I am a bit irritated at your doctor. It's not up to him to make rules around the use of Antabuse. Sounds like his personal opinions and nothing more. You went there looking for his help, he had the power to help you, and chose not to unless you do it "his way". Screw that...I would go see someone else that is actually interested in helping you. I've looked at the informational sheet that comes along with the Antabuse...nowhere in there does it say "You MUST be attending AA or other support group for this medication to work". My blood is starting to boil on your behalf. Can you go to another doctor? If so, do it!
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

K9Lover;1355344 wrote: Rooni,
      I am a bit irritated at your doctor. It's not up to him to make rules around the use of Antabuse. Sounds like his personal opinions and nothing more. You went there looking for his help, he had the power to help you, and chose not to unless you do it "his way". Screw that...I would go see someone else that is actually interested in helping you. I've looked at the informational sheet that comes along with the Antabuse...nowhere in there does it say "You MUST be attending AA or other support group for this medication to work". My blood is starting to boil on your behalf. Can you go to another doctor? If so, do it!
      Thanks K9. I am really irritated too. He was kind of an asshole from the start and actually sounded accusatory a couple of times, as if I were lying to him. Oh, he also said he wanted me to go to therapy, even after I told him I didn't have any luck with that. Therapy is not what I need right now. Maybe later, though. I just want the fucking prescription, dammit. Excuse my French....

It's not like I asked for Oxycotin or something....

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

K9: Thanks for sharing your experience drinking on AB...that alone is enough to keep me from trying it! I absolutely HATE throwing up. :yukko:

Rooni
        : I don't get your doctor's thought process...if we could go 7 days AF on our own, we wouldn't need the pill! Duh! Is there another doc you can go see? My doc just told me to wait 12 hours after having any AL before taking the pill, to make sure it was out of my system. Making you wait a week seems cruel, IMHO.
        ITGeekChick

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

Exactly, that the whole reason I want the pills - to force me to stop drinking for a while. If I could do it on my own, I wouldn't need the freakin' pill!

Thanks guys. I will schedule an appointment with a different doctor first thing tomorrow.

That guy was an asshole. I knew it as soon as he looked at me like an idiot and asked if I had been to AA.

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

Oh Rooni I am so pissed about what happened at your doctors appointment today! That is utterly rediculous. You went to him looking for help....lord knows you have tried again and again and I can totally vouch for that! You need to be able to take AL out of the equation right now which is what the AB does. Please call first thing tomorrow and go to another doctor...NO ONE should look at you like an idiot....an idiot wouldn't be asking for help! My oh my I would love to kick him in the balls! Ha!

K9....thanks so much for all of your advice about the AB. I have heard such horror stories of what happens if you drink when you are on it so there is NOOOOO way I would even attempt it! I asked my husband to give me the AB in the morning before he goes to work this way I won't forget to take it either accidentally or on purpose.

So today was my 1st full day on the AB. I have had no side effects whatsoever....YAY! I am still taking the L-Glut and Kudzu for cravings and Milk Thistle to help with whatever (if any) damage I have done. But let me tell you.....just knowing that AL is NOT an option is a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. Today was the first day since I can remember that I didn't battle with myself over whether I should drink or not or which liquor store to stop at after work or telling myself that I will buy a bottle and just "have one"...or whatever else the beast would haunt me with every second of every day. I thought about it a couple of times but then told myself that "just one" would make me sooooooo sick so "just none" was my reality. The thought was gone so fast and I thought about moving forward with my life and how exciting it is going to be!
            AB Club Member
            AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

Rooni: I'm glad you are seeing another Doc. I don't think the first one understood the issue. And while I have nothing against AA or any support group or therapy, they are not for everyone. It's like Weight Watchers...some people do very well in the meeting setting, and others do better doing the online version. I hope you are able to get an rx for the AB soon and that it helps you!

Destiniey
              : I'm glad you haven't had any side effects! I think taking the med in the morning works best...I have another med I take first thing, and now the two of them are part of my morning routine. And you are right about it taking the possibility of drinking out of the equation, and it is such a relief! Before, nearly every morning I would tell myself "I'm not going to drink today," and throughout the day, my resolve would slowly get chipped away. It would go from "I'm not going to drink" to "If things get worse, I may drink," to "Where's the damn bottle??" Not having to face that internal dialogue every day is like having a weight lifted off!

Hope you all have an amazing, AF day!
              ITGeekChick

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

IT and Dest - I agree, taking the option of drinking off the table is more than half the battle. I hope Rooni gets to join our AB team soon! Get yourself to another doctor that actually cares about helping you Roon!!!

It didn't matter HOW hungover I used to be, by 3pm I'd already be planning which store I was going to stop at on the way home. Now of course there's none of that type of thinking. It actually became quite a pain in the ass having to stop everyday. I would never just "stock up" on alcohol because that would have been admitting I had a problem...plus, each day was my last day anyway (that went on for 10 years!).

Now it's so nice to just drive straight home. If I do stop, it's only for a pizza...not bad for the liver...VERY bad for the waistline. LOL
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

Hey K9....I haven't heard from Rooni yet. I am so hoping that she was able to get an appointment with another doctor today. I think AB is going to help her alot....I am amazed at how much it has helped me and today is only my 2nd full day on it! Before I would wake up in the morning with my mouth so dry that I could spit friggin dust....eyes all crusty....no recollection of how I even got into bed and I would swear to myself that this was it and I wasn't going to drink anymore. Of course once I showered and got out of the house those nasty AL thoughts would creep back into my head and before I knew it I was consumed with thoughts of AL. It wasn't unusual for me to drive 40 minutes out of my way to "rotate" liquor stores. I wouldn't stock up either because I was only going to have "1" and I got the biggest bottle they carry so it will last me forever...plus (just like you) I was quitting the next day anyway....NOT!!!!!! By being on the AB I have been able to fill my days with nice, happy thoughts. There are still times when AL will creep into my head....but I push it aside because I am not going to waste my time on something that's not an option. I am lovin' it!!!!!!!!!!!
                  AB Club Member
                  AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

Hey Dest - that's GREAT!! I posted about this in the newbies nest, but I have not been able to see a doctor yet. I must have called 10 different psychiatry practices yesterday. Either they didn't take my insurance, or the doctor was booked for several weeks. Do you think I can just go to my primary family medicine doctor and get a prescription instead? They tend to get me in pretty quickly. That last doctor really got me turned off from psychiatrists.

On my way to another Smart Recovery meeting. Not the same as Antabuse, but it's helping me to connect with other people. I think I will keep going even after I get the prescription.

Hope y'all are doing well!!! Loving my coffee this morning.

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

Hey Rooni! I went directly to my family doctor. I think you will have better luck if you go that route instead of a psychiatrist. Give them a call after your meeting and let me know how you make out! I am so glad to hear that you like your meetings!!!It is definitely a good idea to continue after you start the AB since the AB takes away the option to drink but not necessarily the cravings. You sound like you are in a much better place this morning and that makes me happy! I hope you're having your coffee iced..it is friggin HOT out there!
                      AB Club Member
                      AB Start Date - 7/25/12

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

Good for you guys for getting the Antabuse!
                        I have asked my doctor twice (and you know how hard it is) and he said no and that it doesn't work.

I think I will try again. They hand out Xanax and whatnot like its candy but can a girl please get sober?
                        Maybe I need handcuffs and a cage.
                        Day 1 again 11/5/19
                        Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                        Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                        Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                        11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                        12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

I mean in my house, handcuffs and a cage, not actual jail lol.
                          Day 1 again 11/5/19
                          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

[QUOTE=Nursie;1356799]They hand out Xanax and whatnot like its candy but can a girl please get sober?
                            [QUOTE]

Seriously!! The doctor I just went to was oh so ready to pull out his pad and prescribe me heavy duty antidepressants but denied me Antabuse. What is wrong with this picture???? I'm making an appointment with another doctor tomorrow. And if she doesn't give it to me, I will schedule an appointment with another doctor.

This is ridiculous.

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

Great thread.

I got my antabuse from my regular GP. I would try that route. Very frustrating when you can't get the help that you need.

K9 is very smart about all of this. I have played that game of skipping days of taking the pill. I am putting the pills in my pill case along with my other morning pills. Then I have no excuse to skip it.
                              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Antabuse Newbie

I just made an appointment with a PA to my regular doctor (who is booked for two weeks) on Wedneday of this week. By then I should already be five days AF and ready to start. I sure hope she doesn't deny me. I will just scream.

Comment

Working...
                                X