New things to occupy your time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all you newly sober people, how are you filling the time when you used to be drinking? I think I started such a thread ages ago but I can't find it to thought it might be useful for suggestions for new hobbies etc... I have so far been:

Sorting out my garden, pruning bushes that were long overdue etc...
    Taken up reading again
    Cleaning out cupboards
    Giving myself pedicures and generally taking more care of my skin, hair etc...
    Visiting My Way Out as often as I can
    Making Barefoot Sandals ( I sell them alongside doing Mehndi)
    Getting a portfolio of henna designs ready for a voluntary event I am doing for a cancer charity

I also want to try crocheting again and take up some form of exercise once my DS is back at pre-school.
    Taking it ODAT

I usually do meditation which is boredom initially but very much enjoyment later.It is another kind of addiction which is good for mind and body.
    I also spend pretty much time on MWO ,I surf this whenever i get time.
    Also go into Android market ,download application on mobile as per my interest and read out,play,listen,watch out etc.
    Some of the games are very addictive and mind wont have think any...
    It is a little bit difficult to start meditation at first but its very hard to leave then after..for me !
    Remember, meditation is helpful when I am alone..with family it wont be enjoying.Now I want to stay alone !!
    Dix
    A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

Hi Dix

I have never tried meditation but a couple of friends of mine swear by it!
      Taking it ODAT

Comment

Dix - Can you recommend any books or web sites for someone who is an absolute beginner at meditation? I'd like to give it a try but I'm not sure where to begin.

Things I have been filling my time with:

- reading, reading, reading
        - MWO
        - organizing things in my life that have not been organized in a long time (cupboards, finances, recipe collection, etc)

I'm also starting to think about going out to enjoy some culture - a movie, a free concert, an art exhibition - all things I used to have an interest in but stopped going to because it got in the way of my drinking.
        AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

pixie;1357463 wrote:
          I'm also starting to think about going out to enjoy some culture - a movie, a free concert, an art exhibition - all things I used to have an interest in but stopped going to because it got in the way of my drinking.
          Very good point! My wife and I actually went bowling yesterday!

Then there're crossword and jigsaw puzzles --- very good 'cause we've got a lot of free time now!

I'm also a meditator. Been doing it since I was 20. All you need to do is make up a word that may or may not mean something to you, sit back and say the word over and over in your mind. It's hard at first to not let other thoughts slip in, but with practice it's just great. M.

Comment

I love art exhibitions, I actually got three of my Mehndi canvasses in one recently and my hubby got two airbrush paintings in two, he sold one aswell!!

I haven't been bowling for years, I used to love it!
            Taking it ODAT

Comment

Taking it easy.......I was going to say take some long afternoon naps.....but we were doing that when we were plastered ! Ha!
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

I always loved to sketch and paint and had left it behind years ago; I am well and truly back with a vengeance....have painted 2 backdrops for a stage, a large schoolground mural and a couple of acrylic landscapes - was not even a possibility before finding MWO.
                I am a big su-doku fan - the last thing I do before I sleep every night.
                I also used to do Aran knitting and have 2 half-finished projects waiting for me....must get around to that again.
                Looking at getting my house in order - inside and out. This one is a slow process, but knowing I am sober is knowing it will be done - YES!!!!!
                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

I recently took up crocheting again. My daughter is going to have a closet full of scarves (because that's all I can really do...lol). I've done many blankets in the past, because basically they're just a longer, wider scarf. LOL

I read A LOT of books, and like you Mauri, I spend a lot of time doing pampering things, like mani/pedicures, facials, etc.

I've also started cooking real meals again. Even in my sobriety I fell back into the frozen/takeout routine. Back to fresh food!
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Daisy wow you have been busy!! I love painting but mine is mainly Mehndi designs on anything that doesn''t move - and anyone that does LOL

K9 I am going to try crocheting a scarf, with any luck I might have a wearable one by winter LOL Also I have started cooking properly again I had become such a lazy slob in the kitchen!! Hope you are ok today hun :l

IAD I love afternoon snoozes!
                    Taking it ODAT

Comment

Working...
                    X