Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back after an Absence

Hi all,

I haven't been on this site for quite a while now, I guess for about 4 months. I was doing fairly well at controlling my alcohol consumption. In fact I had it down to just a bottle or 2 of wine at weekends.. I was really pleased with this and thought I could continue like that for the forseeable future.

However, I made a major miscalculation ... Difficult Times and Stress!.

3 months ago I got that dreaded middle of the night call to say my father was very ill and I should come home now, like Today!. Was no easy feat because I live in Asia and my family in NZ... but I mananged to get a ticket out the same day only to arrive in NZ to be told Dad had died 4 hours before I got there... Sheesh that was a Big one...

Anyway my drinking spiralled after I got back from the funeral.
    Then last month I broke up with my long distance bf ( long distance as in different continents so wasn't really a happening thing anyway but still very painful so soon after my Dad's death.

So here I am again knowing that stress and difficulties and completely leftfield events can happen at any time and frequently do, so the long term idea of a bottle of wine at weekends isn't going to work is it?

Its a powerful lesson for me.. I have to stop drinking totally for a while and learn how to handle sadness and stress in another way

So I'm back again, Hi to everyone

Take care
    Patrice

t

Back after an Absence

Patrice, I am so, so sorry for your loss and for the way it all happened...my heart goes out to you.
    Some situations leave us that we just don't care about anything any more - I guess this was yours. Yourself and alcohol were not your priority - you got lost....
    You still have a lot to deal with, I know, but I am so glad you are back....you take care. You will get back where you need to be.....
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Back after an Absence

Thanks Daisy... but I just don't know where to start, it seems within such a short space of time my life has unravelled and yes you are right... I did get lost.
      I still have a week and a half of holidays left (Im a teacher) so I think that should be enough time to start getting myself together
      Thanks for your thoughs

Comment

Back after an Absence

Hello Patrice, I am sorry for your loss. Big hugs being sent your way. Take care and stay strong.

Comment

Back after an Absence

Do what you would tell those students of yours - knuckle down and read! Give up a day or two and re-inspire yourself by reading all you can on here......you can do this!
          There is a great bunch about here now and so many of our 'success stories' are back posting, which is just great.....looking forward to seeing you about...
          IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
          Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Back after an Absence

Hey Patrice - seems you and I follow the same schedule again dear. Welcome to it. :-)
            That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
            Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
            AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Back after an Absence

This time I ordered the Antabuse...btw...can't wait til it get's here...no giving in then...terrified about that actually....
              That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Back after an Absence

You go my friend anything that works...don't be terrified

Yes we know that life isn't linear but for some reason that doesn't stop us from expecting it will be...
                But hey it's great to see you
                xx

Comment

Back after an Absence

Hi Patrice.

I'm sorry for the loss of your dad.

Great to see you. Go kick some arse mate.

G-bloke

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Back after an Absence

Hi G

Thanks so much.. Yes cobber, I will despite the Penang haze and the holidays nearly over...
                    Whats with this mindfulness stuff..? I'm super interested, could be just the ticket for me

Patrice x

Comment

Back after an Absence

Hi patrice. I'm so sorry to read about your loss of your Dad. I too lost my Dad this summer so I know how painful and emotional that feels. You are right that life has it's ups and downs - that is true for all time, and for all of us. Alcohol just never helps, does it.

Good luck on your journey back.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Back after an Absence

Prairie Fairy;1364359 wrote: This time I ordered the Antabuse...btw...can't wait til it get's here...no giving in then...terrified about that actually....
                        Don't be terrified Prairie - has worked for me as a kick start and when I know I'll be tempted. Got me to 43 days
                        Just wish I could get it here - did you get on-line ?

Comment

Back after an Absence

I've ordered it online yes...I have to pay health care on my own so I needed to...
                          AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Back after an Absence

So wonderful to have you back and engaged in the threads.

:l:h:l
                            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Working...
                            X