Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions????

Hello,

I am wondering what people think...I am planning on stopping drinking but want to set a goal date.

What do people think of this thought? I am thinking the end of Labour Day weekend.....does it make sense to make a goal like that?

:thanks:
    AF July 6 2014

Opinions????

The only thing that makes sense is a goal to stop NOW...... Sorry but any other goals that get set are set by AL and not by you......
    And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

Opinions????

I set goal dates for 10 years, the problem was after I got to Labor Day I realized Halloween parties were coming, so I set it for halloween only to realize that Thanksgiving was right around the corner...and a really good goal would be Christmas...but I should just wait an extra week and start In the New Year....but you have to drink for Super Bowl....you get the idea.

It reminds me of an old saying, "tommorrow is the best day to start any task" and many of us drinkers will repeat that saying every morning when we wake up.

Comment

Opinions????

Start today

Comment

Opinions????

Yep...been there, done that, for 30+ years! Tomorrow was always a better day for me, but tomorrow never came, because once tomorrow became today, I was putting it off again until tomorrow. It's a vicious cycle!

Ultimately, I didn't plan my quit date. I just woke up one morning and said, "That's it! Enough is enough! Today is the day!"

Just do it, Christy! Don't give one more precious moment of your life to alcohol! If you stop today, by Labor Day, you will be well on your way to 30 days.

The only reason to put it off would be to make sure that you have what you need at hand to quit safely, such as medication or supplements, and a plan in place that is going to set you up to succeed.

Carpe diem!
          AF since 3/16/09
          NF since 3/20/07

Comment

Opinions????

Sober Visitor;1364408 wrote: Yep...been there, done that, for 30+ years! Tomorrow was always a better day for me, but tomorrow never came, because once tomorrow became today, I was putting it off again until tomorrow. It's a vicious cycle!

Ultimately, I didn't plan my quit date. I just woke up one morning and said, "That's it! Enough is enough! Today is the day!"

Just do it, Christy! Don't give one more precious moment of your life to alcohol! If you stop today, by Labor Day, you will be well on your way to 30 days.

The only reason to put it off would be to make sure that you have what you need at hand to quit safely, such as medication or supplements, and a plan in place that is going to set you up to succeed.

Carpe diem!
            I agree with SV.
            Take a day or 2 though is my advice to make sure that that you have what you need at hand to such as medication or supplements and FOOD, and a plan in place.

Pick a day that you won't be tempted & eat to your heart's content. AL's lure is not the same when you are satisfied with a full tummy !!!
            Once day 1 is done think about trying Antabuse. I got some & they are brilliant. Takes to 'will I' ? 'won't I today out of it. 'Cos if you do you will be SO SICK!!!
            Then day 2 is over and you are on your way !
            Try it !

Comment

Opinions????

christy, I noticed that you have been signed up since 2008 and you have over 800 posts, have you set a goal date previously?

Comment

Opinions????

Im gonna go ahead and agree with all the others..............start today...right now...this instant.

Just think how far along you will be if you start now, and not a month or two away. It will not be easy, but it will be sooooooooooooooo worth it
                Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Opinions????

Christy,

Every time I set a quit date, it was like giving myself a free-for-all pass to drink insane amounts until that date arrived. I agree with the others, start today!

K9
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Opinions????

I agree with everyone here. Bite the bullet as they say and make today the day. If you have been drinking large amounts make sure you medical detox or taper. But you can do this!
                    Started living again 2/7/2015

Comment

Opinions????

I agree that you should not set a date too far out in the future. If you have been drinking a whole lot, and fear withdrawls, seek medical support and/or start the MWO program with one of the starter kits. If that's the case, promise yourself you'll start when you see the doctor or when the starter kit arrives. But do it now, not in two or three weeks. Like K9 said, most of us that picked a date in the future to stop drinking tend to drink more than usual leading up to that date. That's not only going to make it more difficult, it's not at all healthy.

GOOD LUCK.
                      Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
                      When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Working...
                      X