Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't drink today *because*

Originally Posted by Supercrew
    I also changed my subconscious to honestly believe that I hate alcohol and I never want to drink again.

This doesn't usually happen overnight, but it can, and it still takes daily action and focus. And the focus can't be on "poor me, I can't drink", because that's just a lie. The focus should be on happiness and how lucky we are to be alive and living a sober healthy life for you and your family. I can drink anytime I want to, but drinking causes me pain so I don't want to drink. It's my choice not to. I feel empowered by that decision.

You need to focus on why you don't want to drink and the benefits of sobriety every morning when you wake up, and embrace those great feelings and visualize your health and your personal life sober. Then no matter what promise yourself that you are making the choise to stay sober, healthy and happy today. Don't focus on anything else but today.

It takes daily action, and it takes work, but it pays off in the end. There are no reasons to drink, only excuses. If you make a plan and take daily action, and everytime that voice pops in your head tell it to go to hell today because it is trying to keep you addicted and mentally obsessed with drinking poison, you will be able to accomplish this.

If you decide that it's not important and drinking poison is more important than your health and your family then you can choose to continue drinking, because that's all it is, an easy daily choice that we get to make. I choose to be sober and happy. Now quit beating yourself up and feeling sorry for yourself and make a choice and embrace it.

So - I read that on another thread - and was inspired by Supercrew. You see - I'm this close today to losing the man I've loved most in my entire life because I made a choice yesterday to drink poison.

I thought it would be a good place for me to start - If I reminded myself exactly what Supercrew said - why I won't drink today.

I won't drink today - because I have too much to lose.
    That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
    Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
    AF - August 20, 2012

And over time - I'd love for this thread to look more like hope and less like fear.
    That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
    AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

I'm right there with you Prairie. SC's post helped me yesterday too and I've saved it to remind me.

I'd hate for you to lose the man you love. You can do this Prairie, you really can :h
      You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

You can too Free.

Why won't you drink today? What are you making the choice for?
        AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

I won't drink today because it takes me away from my true nature and all that is good in my life.
          You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

:l True.
            AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

This is a perfect thread because in a holistic sense I really have no idea why I won't drink. Don't want to cite the cliches...we all know them.

So I think I better 'think' more about why I am doing this.

Otherwise I won't.

:l
              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

I won't drink alcohol because:
                * 1-2 hours of drinking wine makes you feel so crap for at least 6 hours the next day- (I am too greedy to just have a couple of glasses) I only have one life and want to feel as good as I can for it.
                * I have teenage children and want to be a good role model so they don't use alcohol too.
                * I want to kiss my children goodnight without them asking if I'm drunk and then snap at them.
                * I want to feel fit again.
                * I want to wake up in the mornings, stretch and feel good about myself, not wonder how bad my hangover will be before I even open my eyes. I need more consistency of wellbeing in my life and drinking (feeling chilled for a short, often unremembered time) is not worth the damage that goes with it.
                Good luck everyone. I'm going to post on this site each evening at the same time I would be usually pouring a huge glass of red wine to help me get past the craving stage!

Comment

I won't drink alcohol today because:

1. I too have too much to lose.
                  2. It doesn't occur to me to drink anymore - even on a BAD day. (I hope this gives you HOPE that with enough time and recovery effort, you too can be free of the OBSESSION.)
                  3. I have a lot of livin' to do today! AL puts me in figurative jail.
                  4. I won't drink today because I love being free to think, talk, do things, and DRIVE at any hour of the day or night. My life is no longer limited by alcohol. I can also send text messages and e-mails without fear, any time day or night!
                  5. I won't drink today because I have ENOUGH wrinkles and sags and bags already!
                  6. I won't drink today because school starts on Wednesday and I'm real excited. A relapse would cost me work opportunities before I even get a job as an addiction counselor.
                  7. I won't drink today because relapse is just too depressing. There never has been "just one" and there never will be.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! PF, do this for YOU. No matter what happens with your love life or any other part of your life, all of it will be BETTER without AL. Believe!

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I am so happy to be sober.

I won't drink today,
                    Because I like the person I CAN be, better. xx
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wildflower.
                    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                    And eternity in an hour.

Comment

I won't drink today because tomorrow is my 15th month al free anniversary.
                      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I won't drink today because
                        • I want to live
                          I want to be happy
                          I want to enjoy as much of my childrens lives as i possibly can
                          Because I want to be there for them for as long as possible
                          Because I don't wnat to be scared of the effects of drinking anymore
                          Because I am fed up feeling (and looking) like crap
                          Because I want to remember everything I have done and never wonder what the heck that I did.
                          Because there are so many reasons not to drink, and very, very few (and those reasons do not pertain to me!) reasons to drink
                          BECAUSE I WANT TO LIVE - in every sense of the word!!
                        “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

DriftyAlison0;1366791 wrote: I won't drink today because tomorrow is my 15th month al free anniversary.
                          :yougo::yougo::yougo:

I'm glad to see you are still at it Drifty!

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thank you for the repost, I feel like a rockstar!

I won't drink today because I don't drink anymore, ever.

On a side note it was very helpful for me to get very specific in my early stages of sobriety, and to even try to relive the specific events and emotions that made me feel that way.

Thank you again!

Comment

Congrats Drifty....and thanks DoggieGirl and Supercrew and everyone else for chipping in.

I intend to find me underneath it all. I know I'm in here. I hear about things I've done - that I don't remember. At all. And I don't understand any of it. And that person has to go. And never come back.

I never ever want to hear a story like that again. Not a newly acquired one. The ones I have - I have to atone for. Those are bad enough.

I want to be make people proud of me. I want me to be proud of me.

And I am going to work to earn that right.

I have a feeling I'm going to be camping pretty close here for the next while.
                              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X