Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi.

Hi.

I would like to stop drinking. I have been a private/secret drinker for most of my life. I have not spoken about it until now. It has been many years since my family has noticed the amount I drink. I have slowly tapered down from spirits to wine and now light wine and beer. I am down to 7 standard drinks a day. I drink in the afternoon and evening after all the days driving is over.

It is just that last step that I am finding difficult. I no longer really feel the effects of the alcohol that I drink and yet I still go out and buy the stuff. I am very solitary and have difficulty in social situations so I thought I might start here for ideas and support.

Thanks for being here.

Hi.

The tool box is typically each of our first stop. (once we get directed there) it's where every possible idea of what might save a quit/how to quit/that may work for you because it's worked for some - goes...

I went through and cut copy pasted out the ones that seemed relevant...and then the first time I picked up a glass and blew a quit - went back through and added the ones that turned out to be important I didn't think would be important - and my own tool box has grown... :-)

The nest is important - it's a big revolving door. Just jump in, introduce yourself, try to read the last 10 or 15 pages, call it good and then just try to keep up. The nest will keep you honest.

And then most of us find a few places we like to hang out - that just speak to us for some reason - and then we hang out there as well. The more often you are here - the more likely you will be to be successful. When you see someone disappear - they are often dropping off and trying to mod - which right wrong or indifferent - doesn't work for most of us - no matter how hard we try.

Anyway - welcome.
    That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
    Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
    AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Hi.

Hi Today.:welcome: Good job on cutting down on your drinking at least. And also, on not drinking and driving. If your goal is abstinence, you will find lots of support here. Most people find the Newbie's Nest (a forum on this site) is a great place for new people with common goals. One way of breaking the drinking habit is to start with just one day AF (alcohol-free). You can even add it to your signature on here, for example: Day One: August 22. Then the next day, you can "check" it off...and add another day...ODAAT is the easiest and most effective. Good luck, and ask lots of questions!! We're here to help!

"I like people too much or not at all."
      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Hi.

Hi Today!

You're here for the same reason as the rest of us, we want to stop drinking. Some of us have, others are still working on it...whatever your situation, you will find someone that can relate to you. I think that knowing you're not alone is a huge factor for some people in getting sober. You've taken a great first step by coming here and introducing yourself. You have also been honest about wanting to quit. I was an "at home" drinker too, so nobody really knew the extent or amounts that I drank. Getting through the first 3-4 days will be the hardest because that's when you really have to change your routine. I suggest sticking close to us here and reading as much as possible. You might find a story that really hits close to home for you. Please keep posting so can get to know you. I'm looking forward to joining you on this journey, it's one you will never regret.

K9
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Hi.

Hi Today,

I just want to welcome you and give you some support. I really remember the feeling of driving home from the store after just having bought beer that I didn't want to drink ( but I did anyway).

After being sober for a while, I began to see the connections between drinking and anxiety and depression. I guess I always thought that I was having a drink "to unwind" or to "cheer me up." My mood is much more stable now, and I like dealing with life this way.

Please don't fear that last step. You are not losing anything. In fact, you stand to gain quite a bit. People like us are special, because we have this opportunity to truly embrace our sobriety and live life fully.

Quitting isn't easy (nothing worthwhile is easy) and there are some techniques/concepts that alot of people find useful. Understanding "witching hour," "urge surfing," "euphoric recall" and "H.A.L.T. (hungry, alone, lonely and tired)" really helped me. The benefits of not drinking are so worth the trouble of some minor and temporary discomfort.

I hope you stick around!
          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Hi.

Thanks for the replies.

I can see there are people just like me here. I keep hearing mentions of the tool box here, but I don''t seem to be able to find it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

Hi.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...-23-27556.html

Ask and ye shall receive

Hope you're doing well tonight.
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Hi.

thanks

Its 10am here. A lovely day.

Comment

Hi.

Hello & welcome today 13 & Carlton as well

MWO is a great resource, lots of information & support available here!
                  I started by reading the MWO book which you can download from the Health store here on the site.

Read the book, make yourselves a good plan & please drop in the Newbies Nest for ongoing support
                  Wishing you both the best!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                  X