Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to this

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to quit drinking for over 10 years with very little success. I am a little better at it that before in the sense that I don't black out but I still drink. My wife hates it when I drink not because I become abusive but because but more because her parents are alcoholics and she doesn't want our kids raised that way. I agree with her 100% but I always talk myself into it. Honestly I don't even enjoy drinking I think I enjoy the idea of getting drunk more than actually getting drunk.

A while ago my wife put her foot down and said that next time I bring alcohol in the house her and the kids will leave for the night and stay at a hotel. So I stopped for a little while but then started sneaking it in. Last night I got busted and ended up spending the night outside.

I've tried many times to quit on my own but eventually I always end up breaking down. This time I have to quit and so I'm trying to do it with the support of others. Today I will begin to attend AA meetings. I'm not really sure how that works or what to expect other than what I've seen on TV but I hope it works. I really really want to quit drinking and I'm afraid I will loose everything I have if I don't.

:new:
    09/09/2012

I'm new to this

Round, I just wanted to say welcome to a great site, you will find many people in the same boat. I don't have a lot of advice to give just yet, I am on day 5 of no al, and on a librium taper, I went to my doctor after many attempts to quit, I have made some great friends on here, and a lot of them have great advice, so stick around and good luck to you,
    It takes a lot of will power but so for for me its been worth it!
    Good Luck!:welcome:
    Kdog
    Reflect upon your present blessingings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some

Comment

I'm new to this

Round, Just want to say Hi and welcome you to MWO. You have just taken the most important step, by coming here for help. You sound like you are really determined to do something about your drinking. There are lots of experienced people here that will help you. Just read and read as many post as u can . Good Luck The Tool Box is worth a visit. with many suggestions on how to manage cravings.:welcome::welcome:

Comment

I'm new to this

Thank you. I just came back from my meeting and it was a breath of fresh air. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's meeting
        09/09/2012

Comment

I'm new to this

Wtg I plan on attending one myself tomorrow! Best of luck keep us posted.
          kdog
          Reflect upon your present blessingings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some

Comment

Working...
          X