Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two weeks AF. I am a rebel!

Week 2

I have made it two weeks without a drop of alcohol, not even for my cooking. I am still staying away from the drinking places and plan to do so for the first 30 days.

This week was a very emotional one for me. I felt really sad and pretty low some days. Followed by days of great high and excitement. One thing that I have noticed is that I have completely changed my attitude towards alcohol. No longer do I miss it but rather think of it as a long term mistake.

Another point I would like to share with you my fellow quitters. Whenever you are in a company of people who are drinking alcohol, don’t think of them as someone who is having a good time but rather think of yourself who is doing something different, exciting, unique, rebellious. Because I bet you that you are probably the only one in your circle of friends drinking tonic at a bar on a Friday/Saturday night. Whenever someone points a finger at you and says “why are you being boring, have a drink” say that sober is the new drunk. No longer do we need to associate alcohol and cigarettes with coolness but rather the opposite.

Be a rebel, be sober.

ALLAN
    AF since 1st Sep 2012
    NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Congrats Allan......You are a rebel.

Sober is the new drunk! I'm in. PPQ

Comment

I think you are right on the money, Allan...I think that folks like us are an ever growing part of the population...I believe that more folks have problems with AL than they will admit...I think in 10 year's time, we will see a drastic change in the curve...AF'ers will BE the IN crowd! Poisoning yourself is no longer cool! I'm so proud of your 2 weeks...here's 2 moons to celebrate!! :moon::moon: And many moons to come!! Hugs, B
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

allankay...I like your attitude and your way of thinking!!!!! Congrats on the 2 weeker! Hey guess what.....I am a rebel and I am sober and loving it!
        "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
        ~Author Unknown
        AF since February 4, 2013

Comment

I love it too! "Whenever you are in a company of people who are drinking alcohol, don?t think of them as someone who is having a good time but rather think of yourself who is doing something different, exciting, unique, rebellious"

my name is Lola - and I, too am a rebel.......:devil:
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

WTG on two weeks AF Allen, you have a great attitude. Keep up the good work. You rebel, you.
            AF since 8/29/12 Goal 30 day-screwed up on day 9
            AF since 9/9/12- Goal 30 days
            STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Hey Allan,

Well we both rode out those plummets earlier in the week.. yay Now I know those times do end, I'm prepared.
              And great on 2 weeks
              Mention that R- word and I'm in!!

Comment

Ha Ha ... I love that! I'm a REBEL too! I remember about 20 yrs ago when I quit smoking it was like I was becoming a outcast, as all my friends were or had quit & you couldn't smoke here or there and so I can see that happening with AL too! That would be nice!! I'm on Day 11 & feeling pretty good today! I am not drinking this weekend, gonna be a REBEL!!
                Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
                Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
                10 days - Sept 13, 2012
                2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
                Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
                AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
                Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sober is the New Drunk... that's a great motto. Goes along with my tried and true "50 is the new 40".

Two weeks is fantastic. Great going.

We are all rebels; we are anti-establishment because society sure pushes the image of alcohol being cool. How uncool we are and we are loving it.
                  Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                  ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Great stuff Allan.

We are rebels alright. Anti-establishment, and very, very, cool. For a single bloke like me, i know the chicks are looking at me in a bar and thinking...... Check out that guy, what a rebel, and.......he's HOT. Ok, maybe they don't think i'm hot :H But i'll take cool, rebellious and anti-establishment!

And impressionable kids looking on, will know who the coolest dude/dudette at the pub is. :goodjob:

G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Feels good to accomplish that, doesn't it? However, I do understand the low. My five days was horrid in my week three. We are all a bit different and yet have much in common. I'm on day 23 and although I'm just outside of the depression I went through (I can feel it still trying to get hold of me), I am better. In my case, I have clinical depression and some other past issues, so my experience is not to deter anyone else out of fear to take the walk into sobriety. Self medicating is all too common with depression and anxiety disorders.

I just peeked in here as I haven't been reading like I was the first two weeks. I am starting to explore more scientific and nutrient/neurotransmitter based knowledge. I'm posting some links in the research section if you or anyone is interested in understanding more about our chemical imbalances and issues to address.

Best to all in their journey to the other side.
                      Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Just think, the morning after they would have a hangover while you can have fun.
                        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Allan,

How do you know my insights about Al !!

Very well written thread ..You are a real rebel .
                          #Keep it up , when we feel positives thoughts in our mind negative thoughts must leave space for positives. Because we have a pre-fixed limited space in our Brain.
                          Dix
                          A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

WTG Allen, I love your insight to Al, and funny how you start to feel that way when you start feeling like a human being again! I don't visit a drinking establishment very often, but have many friends that drink, and drink a lot so I will remember that I am a rebel too, and enjoy myself doing it!:goodjob: on 2 weeks. Keep on going!
                            Kdog
                            Reflect upon your present blessingings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some

Comment

Allan, WTG mate, so glad we are both keeping this journey going! Day 14 and feeling great.

Love this thread and what you have said mirrors and says succinctly what I have espoused, I NEVER envy drinkers THEY are the ones with a problem, I have dealt to it by not drinking.

We should all have bumper stickers;

SOBER IS THE NEW DRUNK ! QUIT ALCOHOL

KY

Comment

Working...
                              X