Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What made me quit (you arent gonna believe this)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the course of the last 5 years here is my track record. First time i stopped was because i felt like crap all the time. I was averaging about 9 shots a day. Second time i quit was because my wife left me, i was averaging about 12 shots a day. Sad to say i fell off the bandwagon AGAIN. This time up to a whopping 16-20 shots a day.

Well, the third time that i quit was the one that freaked me out the most. Don't laugh but it was actually the DENTIST that scared the living bejesus out of me! My dentist has a habit of taking blood pressure before doing dental work. Oddly enough i've always been sober for my once a year cleaning and my BP has remained at a nice 120/80 for years. Well this last time i was not sober and it came out to a whopping 165/120!!! Dude was seriously ready to call the hospital before i talked to him and calmed him down. Well safe enough to say, that freaked me the hell out. While every good alcoholic worries horridly over the damage they are doing to their liver, that never seems to be enough to get them to quit. When you have a concrete number thats like "Hey you are in spitting distance of danger of having a heart attack or stroke" well *panic time*. I like to get a nice buzz, i dont wanna flirt with the grim reaper!

Check out this blood pressure chart:
    http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medi...sure-chart.gif

Day 2 of sober, BP back down to 135/85 and i fully expect it to recover to my normal 120/80 in the next few days. Phew. Lets hope this is enough to keep my safe in the future! For those who are wondering, i successfully and safely tapered all 3 times with minimal withdrawal symptoms, don't let someone tell you it can't be done. Like anything its YOUR decision. I can't even imagine going cold turkey.

By all means im not trying to scare you. But please, go to your local pharmacy or grocery store pharmacy and see if they have a BP machine and get yourself checked. Worst case buy the 40$ wrist one at walmart, well worth the money. I hope this information helps someone else.

More information on how quantities of AL affect your BP over time:
    Alcohol and blood pressure

Turns out i was using the 1.5 oz shot glass (not the tiny 1oz one which im not even sure they sell anymore) to measure which is 1.5 units each. So my BP spike and corresponding drop match the above almost perfeclty. If you are curious Unit of alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia i was seriously shocked.

:b&d:

Morning Zax....great to see you posting.

Good advice here, off to check out your links. Have a great AF day. PPQ

Comment

Working...
    X