WOW... it's Making Sense! and 1 Day AF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sharing this across several boards that I am involved with (two on Facebook, and In The Rooms website)... so it's sort of generic.... but I really wanted to share it here too!

I have been an alcoholic for 23 years, more heavily the past 8 years. I had my first alcohol-free day last night, since I had my third child 2.5 years ago! Everything has sort of fallen into place. Well, three things came to light. First off? the following brain-opener!

I have always said ?How can I do what they always tell me to do, which is to ?find something else to do during the times that I typically use?? Well, I typically USE to get through my nightly routine! I have always said that I HAVE to drink to complete all the chores I have to do before going to bed at night. Three young kids and a husband with ADHD, and I'm usually the one doing everything. So when I've heard to change your routine, I thought, how the Hell am I going to do that? I can't just up and leave to go workout when I have all this stuff to do! Then, God brought an idea to my childlike brain! I CAN change my routine! I will eat with my kids (which I never did before because I didn't want to get too tired so as not to complete those daunting tasks), then I will have quiet time with my kids reading. And then I will go to bed EARLY not thinking about any chores! I will get up early and take care of them in the morning! I do better in the morning anyway!

After this revelation, I found a link to an article about ?21 days to break a habit? and how one should mark their calendar (see link below). So I marked my calendar on yesterday's date with a big heart. Then, counted 21 days and circled that day with a big heart. Then wrote a positive reason what I want to change (I want to be sober and clear headed) and why I want to change (I want to remember being a mom). And thought that now I will take it one day at a time, writing daily in my big calendar and making hearts around each day as I turn out the light at night. Just doing this was encouraging!

So yesterday evening, when I got home, the third occurrence? I remembered the 12-step principle "One day at a time". However, last night I took it to mean "One MOMENT at a time". And I actually LIVED in the moment when I had to drive to the store. SOBER. LIVED in the moment when I had to serve my kids dinner. SOBER. Etc. Etc. Funny thing is, I actually ended up doing some chores. And I lived in the moment and enjoyed it SOBER. Now, the strange part. When I went to bed I didn't want to pick up an addictions book or a fiction book. I always did that before. I wanted something different. I picked up (at random) "Wherever You Go There You Are" which is all about ?Mindfulness?. I didn?t even know I had this book! I will try to find time to list some quotes from it later. It?s mindboggling how much it relates to recovery and living in the moment. I am very excited!

Further notes? I've been following the diet from the book ?How to Quit Drinking Without AA. It?s a Macrobiotic Diet. Yin and Yang. Eat neutral foods. Cut out eggs, dairy, beef, potatoes, tomatoes, spices, peppers, and white flour (although, yesterday I cheated and had coffee, eggs, cheese and a potato!) I've also been using the info from "My Way Out" website using the medicine Topamax (for cravings) and at-home hypnotherapy CD ?Control Drinking? which I bought for only $30 from Flora Clinics (online).

I am also a Christian, and have been praying, and I know my husband (who is also trying to recover) has been praying for me too!

I hope some of these tips help someone else!

http://www2.fiu.edu/~oea/InsightsFal...e%20habits.htm
    I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Hi Rainyday, Welcome to MWO! I found your post both interesting and very helpful. Thank you so much.
    I have been struggling with the (changing your routine part) this is a great help. Way to go on day 1 AF, may you have many more. I hope to see more posts from you.
    AF since 8/29/12 Goal 30 day-screwed up on day 9
    AF since 9/9/12- Goal 30 days
    STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Rainy day, welcome to MWO, reiterating what stumpy said.
      You will find loads of things and most importantly people here to help you on your journey

Good luck and keep reading and posting.

Stumpy ...... Howza? What you up to?

Ky

Comment

Hi rainyday,
        I would just like to say Welcome & A BIG Thankyou for your wonderful post xxxx
        :dancin: enguin:
        starting over

Comment

Thanks Stumpy!
          I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

And Ronnie!

Comment

Remember...
              ONe day at a time !
              ODAT.
              I understand from your post that this moment is all to live in fullest .
              Wel Done !
              Dix
              A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

Great stuff, RainyDay!

You might also enjoy Change Your Mind and Your Life Will Follow by Karen Casey. She's one of my favorite authors and also has a website called Women's Spirituality where she blogs and recently wrote on Wherever We Go, There We Are.... that I linked below for you.

Wherever we go, there we are. . . | Women's Spirituality

She's a recovering alcoholic too.

Sheri
                AF since 3/16/09
                NF since 3/20/07

Comment

2 great links; thank you both! Great to hear such positivity
                  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                  Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Thanks Sheri!

Comment

Working...
                    X