Shopping cures Alcoholism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been reading many post about how people feel flat and unmotivated once they pass the initial excitement of abstinence and get through the first few milestones. I would like to say that I found myself wondering about that same thing all this week. In 9 days time I will celebrate 1 month being sober and it dawned on me that this is something that I will have to commit to for life. It is an overwhelming realisation.

I woke up today (Saturday) bright and early and decided to cash in my AF tokens. In my post ?how much did you spend on alcohol?, which I will provide a link to below, if you are interested, I mentioned that I used to spend around ?170 GBP a week on alcohol and alcohol related activities. I have been AF for 3 weeks which should put around ?500 or 800 dollars in my pocket. So what better way to celebrate your achievement than going shopping? (We can?t drink so how else are we supposed to celebrate). Instead of recovering from a hangover, I left the house around 9 am and bought a bunch of stuff. 4 pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of jeans, gym clothes and shoes, a jumper, 2 tops and a pair of Ray Bans. Now, those who are struggling to come to terms with sobriety, I ask you - what is better? having a guilt free shopping spree or waking up with a pounding headache, a feeling of shame and anxiety? Now I am sitting in my fresh new clothes and feeling happy and very proud. What a difference 3 weeks make...

So to quote K9, Byrdie, Lav and Lola. When 30 days end, your new life begins. Motivate yourself by counting all the benefits of being sober vs. all the benefits of drinking. BTW what are they?

How much do you spend on Alcohol Link

AK
    AF since 1st Sep 2012
    NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Allan - that's a nice post - I'm on day 1 (again) and the future seems daunting.

I can't wait to be one month AF - and get up early on a Saturday morning to go shopping - instead of spending the day (wasted) nursing a hangover !!!!

I've rotted up and I spend about ?55 per week on al. That would be ?220 in a month !!! Mmmmmm ......that would be a lovely trip !!!
    Trying again from 22nd September 2014 Keeping it simple. Keeping it real.

Comment

Quest, if you double that ?55 figure you will be almost there. If you read my post "how much did you spend on alcohol", most of us never count all the extra costs associated with drinking...Night cabs, ruined clothes, take aways, lost items like phones, buying drinks for strangers, wasted food that you bought the evening before just to get drunk instead and so forth...

AK
      AF since 1st Sep 2012
      NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Quest, just to give you a boost. ?55 a week thats ?240 a month you could be spending on something else (55*52/12=?238)

:rays:

AK
        AF since 1st Sep 2012
        NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Allan, Good post, I agree, even in my somewhat short sobriety, I have calculated the amount of money I have saved...Yikes its amazing isn't it!
          I agree, we all deserve a reward !
          May we all contiue on our plans, good luck to all! Quest, I have had so many day 1s, I have lost track, hang in there and keep trying, I know you can do this! Finally said enough!
          Kdog
          Reflect upon your present blessingings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some

Comment

Working...
          X