Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax/Meds or not?

Hi Everyone!

Did you take medications to stop? If so, why? If not, why not?

I have the supplements and hypno-tapes but the longest I seem to be able to go AF is 4 days and I have been trying to get this under control since last February.

I have ordered Topamax but am scared to take it. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid/Vitamin D deficiency. I double checked to make sure there would be no drug interactions; however, I'm just now starting to feel better and don't want to feel bad again.

Thoughts?

Topamax/Meds or not?

hi winning,i take kudzu,b vits,calcium,a multi,magnesium,which is a huge one needed for alkies,vitamin d,cuz my last blood work said i was low,fish oil,melatonin(sometimes)and chamomile tea to sleep,keep on winning!
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Topamax/Meds or not?

Good advice!

Thanks Pollywogg--

I will try the kudzu. :-) Sounds like it has fewer side effects.

Comment

Topamax/Meds or not?

Hi Winning:

I stated with the program in total and used Low dose Topa .25 mg. there is no question that for me the cravings and thoughts almost disappeared within a week.

The side effects were tough though- jumbled mind syndrome or Topa Dopa as it is known

Also, tingling in my fingertips. I stayed true for almost 6 months and the side effects got less but I got complacent and life took over and well...I stopped the program and started drinking again...
        I am back on the Topa still small dose but now include a lot of the LGlut and the GABA because I eventually want to wean off the topa.

But I truly believe that it is astonishing how well it worked, at least for me.
        Hope that helps,
        :l
        On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
        *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Topamax/Meds or not?

Hi Winning,

I purchased the 6-week starter kit from the Health Store at MWO and followed the diet and excercise recommendations in the book to the tee. However, I did not use Topa or any other medication because most are processed through the liver and I was very concerned about the status of mine considering my long drinking history. Fortunately, I was able to get sober without medication, but I definitely would have revisited my decision not to use medication if I hadn't been able to stop without it. I think we each need to weigh the pros and cons of medication vs. alcohol consumption. If medication would have been the only way for me to stop causing damage to my liver with alcohol, I would have opted to go that route as time was no longer on my side.

I'm also hypothyroid and can tell you that alcohol wreaks havoc on all our hormones, so it's very important to make sure to get your thyroid (and any other hormones that are out of whack) balanced. As with so many other medical conditions, it's often a case of what came first, the chicken or the egg. I was diagnosed hypothyroid when I was 28, after I had already been drinking heavily for about 6 years. Did alcohol cause my thyroid condition or did my thryoid condition cause my alcohol-seeking behavior. I'm not sure, but I firmly believe they are related. Here's a couple of links that may interest you.

Alcohol's Effects on Hormones

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f6...hol-30554.html

Best wishes on whatever you decide is best for you.

Sheri
          AF since 3/16/09
          NF since 3/20/07

Comment

Topamax/Meds or not?

winning,i wanted to add something i hate prescriptons! i like to try supps first,if that dont work then ill try a med. i have campral thats been in my medicine cabinet for 6 months,i figure the kudzus working good so,ill stick with it,try supps first,either way if you need meds or not bottom line is not drinking,lets feel better together!
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X