Big toe goes in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big toe goes in

Hi to everyone, what a nice group of people you are. I have been reading the posts and have half read the book, and decided to finally take the first step. My mum and nan both died from pancreatitis through alcohol and I dont want to be the third generation. I have once before been able to "manage" my consumption but have fallen off the track again. Yesterday i decided I was going to start cutting down, so measured my allowance of vodka out for the evening. I have been drinking a half to three quarters of a bottle a night, so decided to make a bottle last three nights, this seemed to work. As I saw my allowance go down I then drank slower to make it last till the end of the night. Woke up fairly ok today and pleased I never started on todays allowance last night. There have been a lot of brave new people baring their souls and greeted so welcomly, so I thought I would dip my toe in.:new:

Big toe goes in

Hello there goldie, Welcome to MWO. There are loads of v v good people here who are supportive, Funny and really encouraging. So keep reading and posting. Good for you on your moderation. I am very proud of myself at the moment as i have been AF for 18 days now and i think i might be getting my sense of humour back which is v refreshing. Good luck to you. B

Comment

Big toe goes in

Hello goldie, :welcome:
      It's good to have you here.
      Bella. I'm proud of you too.

Comment

Big toe goes in

Hi and welcome to MWO.
        Well, you've just taken a big first step, and proven a couple of things to yourself; that you have the resolve to cut down and you did cut down. You must be feeling very pleased that you were able to stick to that plan. And didn't start on the next allowance. You must be feeling so proud of your achievement in such a short time.
        You'll soon be jumping in the shallow end of the pool and starting towards the deep end at that rate.
        So, work out a plan on how you can gradually keep cutting down and not telling yourself your missing out on something. Try to work out some "self talk" to twist the idea in your head from needing it to not making it an enjoyable experience.
        You are trying to break down years of conditioning, so take it easy on yourself if it doesn't come together for you straight away.
        Decide on a small thing you're going to do to help yourself ease off the alcohol, then set the date when you're going to do it. Like tomorrow. Set yourself little challenges which are achievable.
        Or then again, some people find that just going for it and jumping straight in the deep end works for them.
        You woke up fairly OK.. it's a good feeling isn't it. Wait till you've been waking up for a week feeling pretty OK ! You'll want to keep on feeling like that. Another great incentive to cut back, and look at cutting out altogether.
        Looks like you'll be going AF in no time. Well done.
        Remember there are many people here to offer support and help, and who know exactly how ytou feel and what you're going through.
        So welcome once again to MWO
        Rags

Comment

Big toe goes in

Thank you to all above and for welcoming me. I have read a lot of posts where people have near enough described me, and I think if they can do it so can I. Any tips on how to cut down when your out with freinds and watch them getting drunker? Cos thats when I think I might as well jon in.:thanks:

Comment

Big toe goes in

Hi goldie. To be honest with you, if i am with friends who are getting drunk i have to join in and am usually the only one left drinking! So i have found that i can't drink at all. I have avoided these situations as im not sure i can sit there sipping tonic water while everyone around me is laughing at jokes i just don't get because i'm sober, do you know what i mean? I think it depends on what kind of person you are whether you can moderate or not. Maybe just see how it goes. I'm sure some other people here can be of more help than i. B

Comment

Big toe goes in

Hi goldie,
              I realised a while ago that if I go out to a drinking night that I can't drink at all, so I can't give any advice about moderating. However, on the few occasions that I have been out since I've tried to sort myself out, being the sober one has been very enlightening. I really don't want to sound smug, because I know that I'm not nearly where I want to be, but I had to giggle at the way my friends try to be so sophisticated until a certain point, when they just switch to being the most unsophisticated of beings. I don't think any less of them for it. It makes me realise that, although I have a huge problem to overcome, I am trying to overcome it. A few of my friends haven't realised that yet.
              Poeple-watching is so much fun when nobody is watching me.

Comment

Big toe goes in

Hi there Goldie

welcome to MWO. there is a huge amount of collective wisdom and experience here which will help you enormously. Well done for last night. You must be so pleased. keep reading everything here. many people have had great success with the MWO programme.

Kate

Comment

Big toe goes in

Thanks both, yes I have been in both situations where they are having a laugh at something that isnt even funny and also looked on at them getting more drunk while I despreately tried to catch them up. when I have drunk in moderation I then went on to spoil it by necking a load when I got home ready for bed. Hmm note to self, its not easy and make decisions.

Comment

Big toe goes in

Hi Goldie,
                    Welcome and good job putting that big toe in. It's a big step. I found that when I first started trying to get my drinking under control that I didn't go out. I used to go to my girlfriends every Fri night with some other girls and we all would end up drunk. I don't do that anymore.
                    You'll have to find a plan to moderating and I can tell you that there are people in the Moderation and Abstinence Boards that have great ideas and can really give you some insight.
                    Take Care
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Working...
                    X