Alcohol free beer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol free beer ?

I'm on my 13th day AF and of course miss my beer.But I am determined to stay AF and have no intention of going back into the abyss so I (maybe stupidly ) decided to try alcohol free beer.In the first supermarket they did not have any and I'm happy to say I was'nt tempted to get my usual but in another market I picked up a couple of bottles .It was lovely.Sitting down watching football with a cold one and no guilt,no worry and no prospect of acting like an idiot .So I'm curious on other peoples thoughts on AF beer ,good idea?bad idea?wouln't beer drinkers who think they can moderate be better off on AF beer?Nobody here seems to mention it.
    Thoughts anyone?
    AF since october 8th 2012:new

How to get Alcohol free in 6 minutes :H
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Alcohol free beer ?

Good question Patrick. I take Antabuse. Is AF beer truly AF? Im not interested in experimenting myself to find out.
    :notes:
    we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

Hi Patrick,

Don't think we've met so :welcome: to you and well done on 13 days.

Now if you'd ask me 4 years ago on one of my many quits I would have said yes, why not go for the AF beer, wine or cider and honestly it just didn't do the job.

So just over 3 years ago I decided not to use any substitutes. I've had to be strict with myself and to be honest I mostly only drink water when I'm actually thirsty.

I'm a real cheap date when we go out these days.

At the end of the day it's your own personal choice. Just thought I'd throw me 2 pennorth in.

J x
      :l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

nurdl;1396799 wrote: Good question Patrick. I take Antabuse. Is AF beer truly AF? Im not interested in experimenting myself to find out.
        Hi nurdl, it of a long drawn out answer in the link below but yes a very, very small amount 0.05%
        Quezi ? How much alcohol is there in nonalcoholic beer?
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

Thanks for the replies guys.I'm not advocating it for anyone else just curious about other peoples opinions.I find that while I'm not missing the effects of alcohol I do miss a cold beer once in while.

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

Thanks JackieClaire. I just read some scary stories about people trying AF beer when on Antabuse. I think I'll choose a diet coke instead. We are all in this together.
            :notes:
            we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

P, until you get some concrete responses, what I've SEEN in reading is that some people enjoy the AF stuff with no repercussions at all. I've noticed it is mostly on the beer side....the NA wine is like pancake syrup and isn't anything like a real wine, so it's almost not worth the trouble...but I have seen several folks choose the NA beer and seem no worse for the wares.

Sorry I don't have personal experience with that one...I'm just so proud of you 13 days that I wanted to stop in and say a word....Well Done! B
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

Thanks byrdlady I,m feeling a little proud too .I firmly believe that I will never touch alcohol again(touch wood)But I have no desire for it whatsoever and I'm not going to fool myself that I dont have a problem either.

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

I am all for the non alky beers. I was quite the beer lover, and qute honestly still am.

For me, when and if the cravings build up too high, I can go get a sixxer of O'dulls Amber drink 2 or 3 and it really REALLY helps keep them at bay.

I do understand that non alky really does have AL in it....I dont drink it for the buzz like I used to, I drink it for the taste.

There's my .02 on the near beer.......good luck with your decision
                  Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

I used it before, when I was craving the taste of beer. At first it was great.....not long after....without the effect I lost the taste for it.

But, I know people that are 20 years sober and drink it.

Whatever works......there is a little bit of AL in it....so if you are taking antabuse I would not reccomend it.

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

Hi Patrick,

I drink it, and enjoy it. I'm a newbie, too, so it's just my experience I can share here. I'm glad it's an option.

Cat
                      "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

Patrick;1396788 wrote: I'm on my 13th day AF and of course miss my beer.But I am determined to stay AF and have no intention of going back into the abyss so I (maybe stupidly ) decided to try alcohol free beer.In the first supermarket they did not have any and I'm happy to say I was'nt tempted to get my usual but in another market I picked up a couple of bottles .It was lovely.Sitting down watching football with a cold one and no guilt,no worry and no prospect of acting like an idiot .So I'm curious on other peoples thoughts on AF beer ,good idea?bad idea?wouln't beer drinkers who think they can moderate be better off on AF beer?Nobody here seems to mention it.
                        Thoughts anyone?
                        Early in my recovery I did drink AF beer occassionally. There were some social situations where having a beer in my hand - even an AF one - just helped me get through it without caving. The time came when I no longer needed the AF beer as a social crutch and it's been a long long time since I've had one.

I was not really a beer drinker, so I think that helped me mentally not to romantacize the AF beer into a real one LOL! I feel like I'm better off these days without any of it - I don't need any sort of particular beverage in my hand to enjoy life. For me, it was a process to get here.

nurdl;1396799 wrote:
                        Good question Patrick. I take Antabuse. Is AF beer truly AF? Im not interested in experimenting myself to find out.
                        There is some alcohol in it, so I wouldn't do it while on AB.

Good luck!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

G'day Patrick. Err, No. But, only you can tell. So go for it and find out.

Best wishes, G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Alcohol free beer ?

Since I'm a wino, when I get a bad craving I'll have an O'dooles. Works for me.
                            AF since 8/29/12 Goal 30 day-screwed up on day 9
                            AF since 9/9/12- Goal 30 days
                            STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Working...
                            X