Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA vs MWO

AA is great.

But I love the convenience of MWO. I can log on whenever I have cravings, even at 3 am.

AA though forces you to be sober. People can smell or sense whether you are sober or not. And has personal interaction. Spiritual guidance.

What are your thoughts?
    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

AA vs MWO

Alcoholic,

I, like Molly, use both. Once I got started with my therapist and she learned that I had a drinking problem she gave me a choice, rehab or therapy once a week and AA.

I have an issue with the whole higher power thing in AA. The entire program is so antiquated, God pops up all the time, the Lord's prayer is recited at some meetings. I let that all go. I'm doing a lot of reading on my own. I probably won't go through all the steps. I do love the face to face time though and I look forward to my meetings each week. I go to two womens' only closed meeting and one open meeting. I've met some really incredible people and heard some amazing stories. We were laughing at how ridiculous our situations are. Only people who are going through this can laugh at the absurdity of our desperation.

MWO is my daily fix whenever I need it. I enjoy reading and posting although I don't feel I've made any true connections here. If I disappeared I'm not sure anyone on MWO would notice because I'm rather quiet.

Use both, using anything you can find and take what you need to keep yourself on track.
    ~nurdl
    :notes:
    we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

AA vs MWO

Hi Al, I'm with Molly, AA has helped me ALOT, I don't agree with the holding hands and the god prayer at the end of the session but I do it anyway. Somehow I feel it helps the others in the group. No offense to AA but I have smelled booze on a few of the guests while there but hey at least they keep showing up.
      AF since 8/29/12 Goal 30 day-screwed up on day 9
      AF since 9/9/12- Goal 30 days
      STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

AA vs MWO

Molly:
        your story really is inspiring! I wish I had your courage!! Thank you for sharing.

I've yet to read the other 2 entries, can't wait to read them.
        Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

AA vs MWO

Stumpy and Nurdl:

Very similar experiences w AA! I read the Big Book. I even have that app. In fact there are many cool apps for alcohol addictions.

I just never went to an AA meeting. Maybe one day I'll get the courage to go. Thank you guys!
          Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

AA vs MWO

for myself aa has helped a lot. i love the fellowship and the fact that i can go in the evening when i have bad cravings, and people will help me through. i do not like the god parts either, but i use my own reference in place and take what i need from it. it really has made a change in me. my dad said something interesting, that the higher power can be the group...i think thats the case for me. i too have a hard time with the antiquity of the program, and wonder when it will be updated. it's all referenced from the point of view of a male alcoholic and his long suffering wife...:yuk: but i just place myself in the acloholic place and my long suffering husband in the wife's place and voila!

i don;t know if i will do the steps or get a sponsor, but the meetings are great for keeping me in the right frame of mind.
            10-06-2012

Comment

AA vs MWO

Alco, thanks for mentioning the apps. I'll have to go shopping and see what I can find.
              Bettygirl, I found a sponsor because my therapist required it. She's more someone I can just talk to if I need it. Everyone in the meeting has been wonderful to offer their phone numbers. You know the saying, pick up the phone instead of a drink. Now that I'm getting to know them all better I just might do that.
              :notes:
              we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

AA vs MWO

i have phone numbers and will use them if need be. sometimes i think i use mwo in place of doing that...maybe i should try the phone!
                10-06-2012

Comment

AA vs MWO

alcoholic,,, u say aa is great,,, yet youve never been? im so confused?/

Comment

AA vs MWO

do you rely on your i phone that much????

Comment

AA vs MWO

there are online meetings and apps...whatever works, i say!
                      10-06-2012

Comment

AA vs MWO

yep of course,, we all come from different walks of life,, but im just confused to as how can you say somethings great ,, when you havent been?
                        if someone says that ,,, ijust like back up of the experience,,, cos we could all say stuff like that h? just curious ,, thats all,,, im a big beleiver that you cannot judge unless you know ?
                        or am i completly wrong???

Comment

AA vs MWO

Sweetlips:
                          I've been to one as part of my training and have seen people I treat do really well, becoming socially, physically, psychologically and spiritually healthier and happier. So I guess I should have said I never went to one as a member to clarify. Sorry for the confusion
                          Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

AA vs MWO

Sweetlipsuk, I think Alcoholic means AA is a great idea, reading the big book etc.
                            I too would love to go to AA meetings but don't feel brave enough too, I know this is stupid! As everyone will be in the same boat!
                            AF since 2nd Oct 2012
                            Day by day

Comment

AA vs MWO

I went to AA when I was court ordered to. I liked it well enough and I think it has helped SO many people. But the stubborn side of me refuses to go because I was forced to in the past. Another personality flaw I should work on!
                              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                              X