What is your Holiday Plan for Sobriety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typically, I'm not invited to any parties that include AL, lol. Not lately. My family might, sometimes have wine. It's not the norm, but may be offered. Work parties are AF. I won't have any greater temptations regarding AL during the hols.

"I like people too much or not at all."
    Sylvia Plath

Comment

My issue is that I really dont like the holidays and have coped with AL....need to have another plan...working on that...
      dottie
      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Catbuddy;1404429 wrote: Wow, I feel like I planted beans last night and a huge beanstalk grew! Great response.

Lola, I will print the holiday posts to buoy my resolve. It pained me to read the Christmas one ? Santa has been less than my boy deserved, too. Not this year.

Hi Scottish Lass. Wine is very dangerous where we live. I?ve been developing my knowledge and palate for 22 years here. A great bottle is sublime. BUT deadly now. I?m going to regift right away. I?ve got a good friend who I will bring into my decision to quit soon here. I?m going to give the wine to her. (Every year, I get at least three bottles from colleagues at work).

The real challenge is the company party. We are only 16 people, so nowhere to hide. It is a dinner at a nice restaurant, with good wine. No way not to be noticed; in the past, I have always drank wine at company events. The last people I want to explain this to are my work colleagues. I am an executive in this company, and an AL problem is reason for losing my role. SO. I?m going with ?Focused on my health, and eliminating AL is part of that.? I really hope folks leave it at that. People are constantly eliminating food groups where I live ? caffeine, gluten, dairy! I live in the land of high-maintenance eaters. So this will put me into that flow, which is much safer than the ?problem drinker? label. Someday we will be seen as strong by others. Until then, I will not own that label.

I'm still deciding on my Thanksgiving and Christmas plans, and whether to spend them with family. Another group with whom the decision to stop AL will be frought with emotional baggage.

Cat
        All you need to say is, there is so many goodies around this time of year I can't indulge in wine and also eat all the delicious treats I love and still look THIS good!!:H Haha, everyone will laugh, unless they are duds and have no sense of humor.:H

"I like people too much or not at all."
        Sylvia Plath

Comment

Just celebrate the Holidays , not the Booze.......A little Perrier with a twist of lemon will serve you fine. Happy Holiday !
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hiya great thread and love both links to older threads so inspriring. I woke up with a mother of all hangovers last Xmas day and it was so disappointing. We don't have thanksgiving in the uk but November is always big with mine and other peoples birthdays, I am having spa treatment instead of a boozy thing but getting through it all with all the temptation is hard ;0(
            We are spending Xmas day with my folks and they think I am teetotal (due to all my past mishaps) so that's easy but it's all the parties, dinners, works do surrounding it all.
            I think the fact that there is lots of yummy food on the go will help.
            And I'm gng to try and keep up my running, exercise regime as this keeps me calm. Also I have survived 2 Xmas sober whilst pregnant not to mention all the ones as a child !! ;0)
            Going to try and enjoy my children's excitement, chocolates, films, books etc.

X
            AF since 2nd Oct 2012
            Day by day

Comment

Hi Cat...youve got to somehow turn "I cant have a drink " into "I dont want a drink"
              af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Yes, everyone's welcome to my place!
                Just a couple tricks I use....don't be the first to arrive (like I used to do)....go later and do not go to the party hungry. Before you go, visualize yourself being sober thruout the party and upon arriving home. Hoping that you make it isn't enough...Hope isn't a strategy (and YES, Mitt stole that from me). Plan to succeed and you will. I just got 2 bottles of wine for my birthday...I accepted them and told the givers that I will really enjoy these! And I will, when I give them to someone who doesn't abuse it like I do.

It's all about attiutude...after a bit when everyone else's tongues are getting loose...start ACTING drunk! (to a point...no lampshades) Laugh out loud! Tell a joke! You will soon be glad you aren't one of the ones waking up with a big head. I've actually had someone ask me just how much had YOU had to drink tonight??? Finally, leave early...after folks get so messed up, I find that I think more of my bed than listening to the same stories again....

The first party you go to will seem odd....but once you get that one done, you will be a pro! Go, and try to have a nice time!! B
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi all,

Byrdie, your advice sounds solid. My painpoint isn't parties but dinners where AL is part of the meal (Thanksgiving, company dinner). I will try to take Mick's advice and believe, I don't want wine. I will definitely eat something beforehand - I would not have thought of it, and it will help.

I'm going to put extra time into the hypno CDs. I got lax about it after a few weeks. I've been struggling with cravings a lot lately, and wonder if this is why. So I will rededicate myself to those tapes.

Cat
                  "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Cat I do the CD's every night and if I get up I start them over again...I really think it is helping me a lot...
                    Dot
                    Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Excellent, Dottie. I also find I sleep better. Do we use the tapes indefinitely?

I've been using the Subliminal tape while I work lately. Nice way to focus.

Cat
                      "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

I like to blend in so I don't call out things to people. I've found that usually no one really notices. So when the waiter goes around for the first pour I say discreetely "just a splash please" then take a small sip for the toast and go for the water the rest of the dinner. It's easier than having to make an announcement to anyone. If anyone does ask, I just say I'm fighting a bug and no one questions it further. I never, ever, mention alcohol problems to my collegues. It could be career suicide. So I keep it in control and play it cool no matter what.

Comment

Cat I dont now how long to use them...for now it is every night and will continue to use them for a while....only 35 days is not enough to feel even remotely confident....
                          Dottie
                          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Raven2012;1405731 wrote: I like to blend in so I don't call out things to people. I've found that usually no one really notices. So when the waiter goes around for the first pour I say discreetely "just a splash please" then take a small sip for the toast and go for the water the rest of the dinner. It's easier than having to make an announcement to anyone. If anyone does ask, I just say I'm fighting a bug and no one questions it further. I never, ever, mention alcohol problems to my collegues. It could be career suicide. So I keep it in control and play it cool no matter what.
                            I also find that no one really notices or cares. I too would not announce the problem for fear of career problems. I find it annoying when I have told friends that I don't drink and they repeatedly offer me them. I got my own back the last time with one friend and offered her SO a cigarette 3 times even though I know he gave up 5 years ago.......she commented 'You know He gave up' I retorted 'like YOU know I don't drink' I think she will remember the next time!

Comment

Ah Raven and Kuya, you have hit the nail on the head. We are a very chummy company, too much so, and EVERYONE comments and pushes into each other's business. Fortunately (and sadly), my health has been poor the last few years - lots of colds and flus, back trouble which I think AL contributed to with chronic inflammation, chronic insomnia, etc. So my excuse of committing to better health will work. I just don't want to admit to the AL problem as that opens the door for, OH, is THAT why you are not 100% all the time, etc. Career suicide, yes indeed. I want them to remember my contributions when I eventually leave, not my challenges.

Cat

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Christmas is a hard time for most people - AL or not there are so many buttons that so many relatives love to punch on special occasions. If you need an excuse, if you feel uncomfortable, use it. antibiotics are one, antihistamines are another. I know from personal experience that those buttons just don't tend to react if you remain in control. I've also learned that weight loss is not a good one on these occasions - then you just get the old "yes you're fat and its about time etc" - enough to drive you to drink!!
                                "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Working...
                                X