November...a month for transformation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't had time to keep up around here lately, but in the short spans I've scanned the board briefly, I've seen so much suffering and pain in our lives. FD mentioned he has a mountain to climb. Maybe many of you feel the same way, whether it's health issues, toxic relationships, pain from your past, your destructive drinking, maybe you were affected by Sandy or whatever it may be, you feel overwhelmed and you have a mountain to climb. Let's make November a month of transformation. We can stand together knowing we have others walking along side of us. If you'd like to join, maybe this thread can be a good place to plant what you are trying to achieve this month in moving forward or just stating you are working on something and appreciate knowing others are with you. Here is a quote off my FB page I read in the morning. It had a powerful visual as well. If I can put it in my avatar or post it somehow, I will in a bit. It would be a good visual to look at everyday as you move forward and not down.

"Rather than plunging into a bottomless pit, keep your eye on self-transformation. "

Yesterday, was a strange day for me. Everything seemed to be speaking to my specific issues and what I needed to do. Even a vampire show had the exact message that I needed to hear. lol This particular message was about what was happening to me and maybe what you need.

"Anger precedes letting something in we don't want to acknowledge or accept. Once you do let it in, you can confront it, accept it, then let it go and heal."

I believe the anger is because we don't want to feel the pain or ramifications of the truth that will come from letting it in, so we stay in denial and anger as it kills us and sucks the life out of us. For me, I drank a lot to deal with this. Sooner or later, you have to let it in, acknowledge and confront the truth, feel the pain, accept it and let it go. Then you will heal. Then you won't need the alcohol. Life will be better and you won't have to run into a bottle.

We are a broken people. There is only one way out and that is facing and accepting the truth. This mantra deserves to be planted with this message.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the wisdom to know the difference.

For those who don't appreciate the God or powerlessness pieces,

Let me accept the things I cannot change,
    have the courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Love,

Slay

:lto all.
    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

sounds good to me slay
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Slay, I think this is a great idea and I am glad to see it. I need to formulate a strategy so I am going to think hard on that . :ranger
      I know there are a lot of people on the site that don't consider themselves particularly religious, but I have a strong faith. The last time I had a successful, lengthy quit, I incorporated A LOT of prayer into my daily routine. In fact, that in itself almost became an addiction (although, in my opinion, it was a much better one). I am thinking, one thing I will do to transform myself is to spend more time in prayerful meditation. I will just try to control the amount of time I isolate myself-otherwise I will be guilty again of using another form of escape.
      I also want to do some sort of daily exercise.
      I want to continue to improve my diet and eat less animals (I just feel so sorry for them, ya know?)
      I think I just need to write all this down and stick to a schedule, otherwise, I will overdo it- you know that "addictive personality" type- that's me. I don't want to make things too tough on myself and set myself up for failure.
      Thanks so much for starting this thread, Slay- it's going to be good. And I am sorry you are feeling so sad and angry! I am feeling that way too, at times. But I am thankful I have my nest buds to keep me sane :nutso:

:h Star
      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

[quote]Starfish1;1404363 wrote: Slay, I think this is a great idea and I am glad to see it.

Originally posted by Starfish1 View Post
        Slay, I think this is a great idea and I am glad to see it. I need to formulate a strategy so I am going to think hard on that . :ranger
        I know there are a lot of people on the site that don't consider themselves particularly religious, but I have a strong faith. The last time I had a successful, lengthy quit, I incorporated A LOT of prayer into my daily routine. In fact, that in itself almost became an addiction (although, in my opinion, it was a much better one). I am thinking, one thing I will do to transform myself is to spend more time in prayerful meditation. I will just try to control the amount of time I isolate myself-otherwise I will be guilty again of using another form of escape.
        I also want to do some sort of daily exercise.
        I want to continue to improve my diet and eat less animals (I just feel so sorry for them, ya know?)
        I think I just need to write all this down and stick to a schedule, otherwise, I will overdo it- you know that "addictive personality" type- that's me. I don't want to make things too tough on myself and set myself up for failure.
        Thanks so much for starting this thread, Slay- it's going to be good. And I am sorry you are feeling so sad and angry! I am feeling that way too, at times. But I am thankful I have my nest buds to keep me sane :nutso:

:h Star
        Afternoon Star and all.

My thoughts on the addictive personality or rather issue is because there is a hole inside of you that you haven't filled, so you run from thing to thing trying to fill it. As you said the next escape from the emptiness so to speak. See the toxic relationship thread as well. I will be adding things to both of these threads when I return to town. Addictions come in many sizes and shapes. Our modern world has enhanced this problem. Knowledge is power! Let's bring out the knowledge; let us all heal! This is going to be a healthy thread and we are all going to grow at the pace we are ready to grow.

:l See you all in a few days.

Love,

Slay

P.S. - Unconditional love for yourself. This is not an excuse for bad behavior, but rather a place where love will grow and defeat bad behavior. Food for thought.
        Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Hey Slay, just jumped on to say I love you, I love your posts. New Job and can't get on the internet as much, I'm thinking of all of you. I need you all.
          AF since 8/29/12 Goal 30 day-screwed up on day 9
          AF since 9/9/12- Goal 30 days
          STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Hey Slay, enjoy your break and see you when you get back. Sit with nature at your mum's and relax, turn off your phone, the world can do without you for a few days, and if it can't it can come find you easily enough.

Hi to you Stumpy and :l, don't stress, it will all work out.

Comment

Slay, your post is so beautiful.
              let's make november is month for transformation.

one thing for sure, you're not broken. once you accept yourself you'll begin to know that you are perfect human on transformation journey.

we're here for you *hug*

Comment

stumpy;1404797 wrote: Hey Slay, just jumped on to say I love you, I love your posts. New Job and can't get on the internet as much, I'm thinking of all of you. I need you all.
                Hi Stumps. Thanks for that! I hope all is going well with your new job. When I get back home I'll check in with you.

Love,
                Slay:l

Comment

kuya;1404806 wrote: Hey Slay, enjoy your break and see you when you get back. Sit with nature at your mum's and relax, turn off your phone, the world can do without you for a few days, and if it can't it can come find you easily enough.

Hi to you Stumpy and :l, don't stress, it will all work out.
                  Well, the relax time has turned into ripping up my mom's bathroom floor and installing new flooring. I'm beat, but the work has kept my mind busy. Hoping to take a day tomorrow to relax. Hope you are doing well.

To all working for renewal/transformation, best wishes. Haven't been near wifi much lately.

:lto all.

Comment

timothykoenig;1404810 wrote: Slay, your post is so beautiful.
                    let's make november is month for transformation.

one thing for sure, you're not broken. once you accept yourself you'll begin to know that you are perfect human on transformation journey.

we're here for you *hug*
                    Thanks so much for that.

Comment

Slay, I like this thread - good for you getting it going!!
                      A little thought for tomorrow; 'Remove the obstacles. Untangle the clutter that's standing between you and the productive, fulfilling life that you crave.' (Louise.M.Hay. Everyday positive thinking)
                      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Guilt is a powerful trigger.
                        Loss is a powerful trigger.

Part of my transformation is not feeling guilty or deep sadness when I have to say no or walk away from people I love who are manipulating me or treating me badly. As parents we tend to feel so responsible for our children's happiness and or behavior. It must be my fault? What did I do wrong? What if this hadn't happened? Guilt is a harsh load to carry and so is loss of someone you love.

Life can be very challenging when our hearts are deeply engaged and things go badly.

FFT

Comment

daisy45;1406377 wrote: Slay, I like this thread - good for you getting it going!!
                          A little thought for tomorrow; 'Remove the obstacles. Untangle the clutter that's standing between you and the productive, fulfilling life that you crave.' (Louise.M.Hay. Everyday positive thinking)
                          Great quote. It can be a very intense and harsh process when the heart is involved. Being the type of person that likes stability and security, change does not often come easy for me. I tend to like my comfort zones and often fear the unknown and am uncomfortable with uncertainty.

Slaythefear...transformation comes through change.

:lHugs to all working through changes in their lives.

Love,

Slay

Comment

First it feels great to be AF.

Second, heeding the words of the serenity prayer are bearing fruit. I'm accepting the things I cannot change, working to change the things I can change and learning to recognize the difference.

The things I can't change:

-Toxic people and the behaviors they choose. They must take accountability and responsibility for their own actions and choices.

The things I can change (take control of my life):

-No drinking alcohol.
                            -Taking accountability and responsibility for my actions and choices.
                            -Not taking on the accountability and responsibility of others. It's too heavy of a burden and it's fruitless and only enables them to further behave in a bad manner and continue unhealthy relationships.
                            -Added in daily exercise.
                            -Adding in a class tomorrow as a new hobby and a way to express my creativity and feelings. Writing can be a great go to buddy. Have my eye on my camera again as well. This exercises my mind.
                            -To focus more on the positive and let the negative die away. To feel anger and then let it go on its way for the past mistakes and hurts.
                            -Take care of myself mentally and physically which entails some of the above.
                            -To love and accept myself which will come from the changes. It's an internal matter, not an external matter.

Just an update on November transformation.

Please feel free to add your own advances or realizations.

:lto all

Love,

Slay

Comment

Motivational...Inspirational

Watch the video:

Life Lessons from a Disabled Vet: Never, Ever Give Up ? Positively Positive

Comment

Working...
                              X