Love in a relationship...Do you agree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please weigh in regarding your present or past experience or opinion. (There have been a few threads on relationship issues. I'd like to hear some honest opinions.)

How Do You Know Your Partner Loves You? I mean really, really loves you??
    Posted on July 30, 2012 | Leave a comment

Love. What does it mean?

WHAT IS LOVE, ANYWAY?

I don?t know about you, but whenever I find myself using a word a lot, after a while it becomes less-than-perfectly-clear what, precisely, it means. Especially if the word is one of those ?obvious, everyone knows what it means? words. Like love.

We act as if we all agree what love is. And, within bounds, we probably do: It?s that feeling of great affection for another. It?s the attachment that comes with the desire to be with another.

But real love is more than passion. Much more. Because real love is not just a feeling, it?s an action verb. Real love isn?t focused so much about what you feel, want, need, but on what the object of your love feels, wants, needs.

And not in order to win that person?s love; in order to be deserving of it.

I?ve been collecting comments from readers of this blog. Read on and let me know what you think.

You know your partner loves you when they make you a major priority in their lives. It?s as simple as that. If a person truly loves another, they make them the first priority in their lives.

Love is unselfishness, often putting the other person?s needs or wants above your own. It?s the act of giving as well as receiving ? because it pleases you to please your partner.

They not only tell you that they love you, they show you by remembering and doing the little things YOU need, even when inconvenient or silly to them, because they know it will make you happy or your life easier.

They really listen to you when you are faced with a dilemma. They dive in to understand, and offer advice or help when asked. They provide comfort, a safe haven mentally and physically during difficult times in your life.

They consider your feelings and input when contemplating a life change. You make life changes together, figuring out the best choice for each person?s happiness, as well as what?s best for both together.

It?s all the things she did that she did not have to do and what she put up with! I knew she was for me that very first night, the blind date gone right. We talked and talked and most importantly listened to one another! And then I knew she really listened when she followed through: she surprised me with the rare book i?d been searching for, she cooked my favorite meal when she was too tired to cook but knew I needed it, she waited for me for far too long.

They don?t make you have to try to figure out whether they love you or not. They are real and upfront demonstrating their love for you, working together on the relationship, always communicating the fears, wishes, disappointments, needs, anger, what works. They assume you can always work it out ? together ? if only you talk and listen to one another.

They are honest with you, but with kindness, And you with them. You both believe that will get you through. That and patience, and shared laughter and values.

It boils down to a person taking on a certain amount of responsibility in reference to your overall happiness in the same manner you provide for them.
    Do they put you first?that?s how you know.

When I need a medical procedure, I don?t have to worry. I can always count on him to take the day off to help me get through it, and take care of me for the remainder of the day. He takes care of me in good humor, without my demanding or even asking ? because he wants to, because he prides himself on being able to. And he learns how to: when to make me laugh, when and how to comfort me, when to listen, when to intervene, when to back off.

How Do You Know Your Partner Loves You? I mean really, really loves you…? | FEELING UP IN DOWN TIMES: Psychology in real life, for the good life…
    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Love is friendship with a side order of orgasms! :H

Comment

kuya;1412686 wrote: Love is friendship with a side order of orgasms! :H
      YABBA DABBA DOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :xxx: heh, heh, heh

That has never been a problem. If sexual fulfillment is the glue in a marital/partner relationship, we got it made, babe!!! Giving it another try with boundaries. I guess I can't be cocky free. Oh that darn thread!!!!

Have a good one, girl!
      Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

1 Corinthians 13:4–8a

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails

Married 14 years. Lots of ups and downs. Pride is my biggest fault. I frequently have to pull myself back in our relationship. He's brought me laughter, tranquility, patience... Of course I'm never going to let him know how good he makes me feel! But he is my rock! He accepts all my faults, and I need to accept his. Because he reminds me when we fight, "yes, honey, I know, you're perfect..." And right away that stops me. Who is perfect in this world? No one.
        Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
        A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Good post, Ally. That's a nice passage from the Bible also. I think it speaks of a higher love than human love, however. I don't think it's in our capacity to love that well.

"I like people too much or not at all."
          Sylvia Plath

Comment

Love is pretty simple for me. Its when you are down....who sticks around. When someone else is down....do you stick with them?

I personally think it gets overcomplicated. Love is simple and pure.

Comment

Ally, I have always loved that bible verse. I do agree with Librarygirl though. It is more of a pure love which I believe I possess in my core being, but the human being trying to survive can have difficulty with the perfection of pure love. In biblical text that would be considered 'sin nature' and only achieved when the holy spirit is in control. For me, I know my core understands and wants to give and receive that kind of love, but in reality we fall short. It's a tough world to walk that kind of straight and narrow path. Survival and pure love tend to butt heads.

The Sunflower...good post. How far down would you be willing to fall, though? Do you have a limit or would you go down with the ship? If you didn't go down with the ship, would you still say you loved the person?

Comment

Hi, I don't post much but have been thinking of this recently and came across this thread.

It's a lovely thread - great for MWOF, love is a reflection of our hopes and dreams.

Love in a relationship I think, is acceptance of another, in spite of flaw,

And although is not able to achieve, is always striving for:

"There is no fear in perfect love, but perfect love casteth out fear"

Love is gratitude xx
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wildflower.
                Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Lost Soul, you reminded this thread was here. It hasn't had much attention. This morning I posted an update on the newbie thread. This subject has been on my mind quite heavily lately. I know what 'love' is, but I wrestle with its combination in the reality of our daily lives and relationship struggles. I am finding different people view it differently as well. Heartbreak and/or disappointment can be a trigger for drinking so I thought I'd make a thread for it. I feel an emptiness without it in my life. An emptiness nothing else seems to fill.

Newbie update today:

"Morning to all new and old. Well, so far so good on working to reconcile with my husband. We've had some very nice days together. Only time will tell if we are 'both' doing some changes that last and if my changes bring about favorable changes in him. For me, I am only worried about focusing on what changes I need to make presently and hoping his behaviors will change as well after it came to us living separately and me ready to head to the divorce lawyer. The situation has some complicated factors involved. I liken this process to hitting bottom with AL, the reality comes flooding in and you have to take a really good look at the situation from all points of view much more closely and in a completely honest way. When faced with loss, you can get 'real' fast. What I do know is we 'both' have a part in this breakdown. I will do all I can to make the changes I need to make and let go of what has previously transpired from us both. This is a new inning and I'll treat it like a new beginning with a clean slate. I'll have to be diligent about listening to my own honest inner voices without the influence of outside people and any demon's whispers that work harm (I have issues with trust...another story) and history repeating itself. Sometimes it is hard to determine which voice is doing the whispering. Everyone seems to think they know what is best for me and get upset if I don't listen to them. Does anyone else have this issue? Why do people feel so adamant about pushing their opinions on you? There seems to be too much bitterness in the world and maybe I'm naive, but I think 'real pure love' can do wonders, but back to those trust issues. I've been fooled before with this belief system. One last try? I'd really like to believe this is true as it has always been who I am at my core. Fear often likes to slay it down, though. This is one of my conflict/struggle points."

Regarding relationships, I found this thought from a site valuable: Are you currently lovable? Would you love you the way you are behaving? When I read them from the following site, it really stopped me for a second. My behavior may have started out very honorable and lovable, but over time, it began to deteriorate because of things I was upset about (rightly so), but yet RIGHT NOW, I asked myself that question like he was me and asked myself, what would I want him to change as me. It was enlightening to say the least. The following list of priorities of important to your mate is, also, eye opening to examine.

Affection
                  Sexual Fulfillment
                  Conversation
                  Recreational Companionship
                  Honesty and Openness
                  Physical Attractiveness
                  Financial Support
                  Domestic Support
                  Family Commitment
                  Admiration

The Most Important Emotional Needs

**I just found this on a google search as well and I can't disagree. I adore true goodness in my mate. It's what you can trust in and feel safe around.

"So what is love ― real, lasting love?

Love is the attachment that results from deeply appreciating another's goodness.

Love is the result of appreciating another's goodness.

The word "goodness" may surprise you. After all, most love stories don't feature a couple enraptured with each other's ethics. ("I'm captivated by your values!" he told her passionately. "And I've never met a man with such morals!" she cooed.) But in her study of real-life successful marriages (The Good Marriage: How and Why Love Lasts), Judith Wallerstein reports that "the value these couples placed on the partner's moral qualities was an unexpected finding."

So, too, we seek goodness in others. Nice looks, an engaging personality, intelligence, and talent (all of which count for something) may attract you, but goodness is what moves you to love."

Comment

Ally, I love these words and read it at my mum's funeral. My apologies to those who don't believe in 'upstairs' but in your memory mum, the full passage...

The Gift of Love

If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end. For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.
                    You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Slaythefear, You have a good heart

Trust it, and everything else will take care of itself.

And with even the most honourable intent, we are all human and react when hurt.
                      It's just trying to react the right way - and not let things build up,
                      Assertiveness classes don't teach how to say yes, more to say no.
                      There are no mistakes in this life only choices - and lessons to be learnt.
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wildflower.
                      Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                      And eternity in an hour.

Comment

So many different aspects to think about, the questions this opens? So you have love and this leads to relationship but they are very different. Sly I have many of the same questions regarding my relationship with my husband as you've written, and ask as many questions as to what to do. But this is what I come up with, to love him and to be loved by him or any body else, first i have to LOVE ME! When I love me I have lot's to go around and life is good.

The answers to my questions will be clear when I start loving myself more..

If you want a scientific look at what is love, this is a very interesting article and worth a read, it states - Falling in love may feel like a meeting of hearts and minds. But really it's a kind of temporary insanity driven by hormones.

What exactly is love? - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

Comment

maddiemadison;1415414 wrote: So many different aspects to think about, the questions this opens? So you have love and this leads to relationship but they are very different. Sly I have many of the same questions regarding my relationship with my husband as you've written, and ask as many questions as to what to do. But this is what I come up with, to love him and to be loved by him or any body else, first i have to LOVE ME! When I love me I have lot's to go around and life is good.

The answers to my questions will be clear when I start loving myself more..

If you want a scientific look at what is love, this is a very interesting article and worth a read, it states - Falling in love may feel like a meeting of hearts and minds. But really it's a kind of temporary insanity driven by hormones.

What exactly is love? - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent
                          Thank you, lost soul and maddie. I'm working on loving myself, maddie. It's a process of eliminating the things about myself I don't like and can do something about. I think plenty of us here have had to take a look at how we see ourselves and how we treat ourselves.

Happy Thanksgiving to you both even if you aren't in the US. There is always something to be thankful for.

Love,

Slay

Comment

Working...
                          X