Immersion in the Misery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immersion in the Misery

Was thinking about this last night as I went out for a walk to the Supermarket to buy dinner. A totally different Friday night to say, one month ago, where the wine would have been out at around 5-6 pm.

One of my really good strategies, to keep drinking and wanting to drink has always been that I associate it with the pleasure, the freedom of my youth, good times, fun and other people's company.

Another good strategy I have always employed to keep drinking and wanting to drink is that I have read posts on MWO and I've always thought - I'm not as bad as that, even though I had noted pain in my right side, itchy skin, bad skin, liver roll and muffin top combined, horrible smells coming from my body and breath, memory loss, financial problems, wanting to drink alone + lots of other stuff.

I would always quickly 'not look' at anything that pointed out that I was on a terrible path and that it would not end well. My focus would quickly be averted to something else - does that make sense?

Anyway, I'm now on day 23 and I'm only here because after the shit hitting the fan financially I was made face up to the fact that I had to do something and stopping drinking wine to numb myself was in fact the answer - If you have a look about for my 'What if' thread, I posted that the day that I suddenly realised that my out of control drinking might just be the cause of the misery I found myself in.

So, in the past week what I have been doing, in my mind, is when a memory pops up of me making a fool of myself, you know the sort of stuff, the humiliation etc, instead of quickly putting it out of my mind because I don't want to 'look' I have 'looked' and let all the feelings of humiliation, guilt, embarrassment sweep over me - I mean totally get lost in the pain of it.

The mind will do anything to get away from pain and towards pleasure so I have been working hard on, as above, total immersion on the pain caused by my drinking and to move towards pleasure I have been noting all my triumphs, such as being at the gym at 10 am on a Saturday morning or walking to the shops around 6 pm last night, not having to stand about 10 feet away from people in case they smell my breath and most of all the feeling of peace and contentment I now have within me.

I'm going to keep working at this and just thought I'd share this new strategy just in case it may help anyone else.
    Honour Thyself

Immersion in the Misery

Emily..... You have been staunch since you started. Your ability to take responsibility is what marks you as a person who will beat this.
    You know it may be hard, but facing the painful stuff is a good thing, and never as bad as you fear or previously ran from.

Good on you...keep trucking

Comment

Immersion in the Misery

CONGRATS on your AF time Emily!
      You have found your way out & that's terrific. Wishing you continued successs!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Immersion in the Misery

woo hoo emily! 23 days is super,your on a roll! its hard to look back at yourself being an ass,but it does give you a wake up call,im glad youre using it as a motivator to keep sober,some people dwell on the past mistakes and keep drinking the guilt away(me) good going,keep on keepin on!
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Immersion in the Misery

emily;1412902 wrote:
          One of my really good strategies, to keep drinking and wanting to drink has always been that I associate it with the pleasure, the freedom of my youth, good times, fun and other people's company.

Another good strategy I have always employed to keep drinking and wanting to drink is that I have read posts on MWO and I've always thought - I'm not as bad as that, even though I had noted pain in my right side, itchy skin, bad skin, liver roll and muffin top combined, horrible smells coming from my body and breath, memory loss, financial problems, wanting to drink alone + lots of other stuff.

I would always quickly 'not look' at anything that pointed out that I was on a terrible path and that it would not end well. My focus would quickly be averted to something else - does that make sense?
          You betcha. Absolutely. Ditto. I'm looking at words you just wrote that mirror the thoughts in my own head.

How'd you do that?!

Reading that - just simply reading that - has given me another little string to my bow for fighting this fight.

Thank you Emily.

RC

Comment

Immersion in the Misery

Agree, Emily. You have to face it and not try to run and hide. It's freeing to admit it and take responsibility for it.

Bravo on your 23 days. Heading your way. I was working toward 60 when I fell, so stay vigilant. For me, it only took a little crack and the enemy started to work the way back into my life.

Love,

Slay
            Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Immersion in the Misery

Well done Emily, good strategy if its working for you keep it.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Immersion in the Misery

Emily,

I want to commend you for your insightful and inspiring post. I'm curious, and I wonder if you would be so kind to share what has brought to to this point at such a young age? What in your life inspired you to say "no more" and move in another direction for yourself? What was your turning point? What moment, day, time, made the difference to you to say that you were going to make a change? I admire your courage. Best, Raven.

Comment

Immersion in the Misery

Awesome progress Emily.
                  Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Immersion in the Misery

Raven2012;1413222 wrote: Emily,

I want to commend you for your insightful and inspiring post. I'm curious, and I wonder if you would be so kind to share what has brought to to this point at such a young age? What in your life inspired you to say "no more" and move in another direction for yourself? What was your turning point? What moment, day, time, made the difference to you to say that you were going to make a change? I admire your courage. Best, Raven.
                    Hi Raven,

Apologies for taking so long to answer this but I've been pondering your question on and off. I'm not that young, do I sound young? I just turned 44 recently, not that old either, ha ha.

There really is no specific time where I can say, yep that was the moment - I think is was a culmination of being on a path to ruin and knowing it but not having the strength to stop walking along it.

I had a sense that things were going to get real bad and they did, on a Tuesday around 4 weeks ago now. My bank made me face up to the fact that my house just may get taken off me, wow BUT I still drank that night, to celebrate the fact I felt like a weight had been taken off my shoulders because I had spent all day sorting out the mess.

However, on the Thursday after that Tuesday I was watching a program, a drama called Waterloo Road, which will be familiar to UK peeps. That night I watched the son of an alcoholic woman teacher take all her empty bottles into the school staff room to show all the other teachers that his mother was in fact an alcoholic and all the empty bottles proved it.

My kitchen was literally littered with empty wine bottles, around double what that fictional kid brought into the staff room. Yeah, I know it was fiction but something about that program penetrated through, I'm not even sure what tbh.

Maybe I had also linked it to that book 'Dry' where they guy goes home after 30 days in rehab and his flat is full of empty bottles.

It was almost like, for the first time ever, I saw them for what they really were. The proof of how much I was out of control.

I stopped the next day and tomorrow will be 30 days.
                    Honour Thyself

Comment

Immersion in the Misery

What an amazing and inspiring person you are! I'm glad to be on this journey with you B
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Immersion in the Misery

thank you Brydie

Your words about how one will never be enough have really helped me get through. Just pondering on that and the story that goes with those words have been like a paradigm shift for me.
                        Honour Thyself

Comment

Immersion in the Misery

Isn't this such a relief to quit this madness while we still have so much to live for!

Like me, you have financial worries, but have you noticed how your approach to them has changed? Now they are problems to sort not overwhelming confirmation of your worthlessness?

How fortunate we are Emily

Comment

Working...
                          X