Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Thankful for the Internet

:new:

This is my first post. I stumbled across this site several years ago and it has helped me get to this point. I took my first Topamax yesterday. Finally!

I live about an hour from Melbourne (Australia) in a beautiful rural wine growing area. I am female and 51 year's old and I have been concerned about my drinking for the past decade. I used to be a binge drinker and get hammered, and then not be able to touch the stuff for days. I used to also give up the booze for a month every year. In the past couple of years, however, I have not been able to quite for the full month and pretty much drink each day to blackout stage. I don't drink huge quantities but I drink very fast.

I wake up every morning with the "guilts" and the "self loathing", which I'm sure you all know about. I have finally come to admit that I cannot control my drinking after the first drink.

I have not ordered the CD's as yet and am wondering if there are some having success without them? I decided to take my first Topamax yesterday, even though I knew I had a dinner party at the next door neighbour's house and would most likely drink. I don't know whether it is placebo effect or not but the first beer tasted awful and I did not drink to blackout stage last night so, subsequently, feel pretty hopeful right now.

I hope I can offer help and/or encouragement to others that read and don't post as I have done for the past few years.

Wow, what a name......it could have been mine with as many nights as I drank away, and forgot.

Bravo, for taking the first step and saying hello. This place is a very powerful tool in the battle with AL.

It takes different techniques for different people, and IMO a combination of techniques to win the battle.

The only supplements I took was the vitamins prescribed by the doctor. Heavy drinking seems to deplete the body of certain vitamins it needs. I drank TONS of water. The seltzer water with fresh limes/lemons is FABULOUS.

I was blessed with a "rock bottom" event that I also draw strength from. I remember that moment when my AL brain thinks I need to drink, and I dont drink. I wasnt going to quit, until I was ready to quit, as cliche as that sounds, I think that is the basis of most peoples success.

There is no "one way to quit" it will be a game of trials and errors. It will get easier to fight the more you can manage to not drink.

Wising you all the knowledge, support, and strength needed to win........go get em!
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

As Nelz said, finding a path right for you can take time, but if there is a way to be found you can find it here.

:welcome: to MWO FN

Comment

Forgotten Night;1416178 wrote: :new:
        I have not ordered the CD's as yet and am wondering if there are some having success without them?

:welcome: Forgotten Night

I agree with Nelz...Wow, what a name

I found MWO when I needed a life line...was at a very low point in my life...and there everyone was

I never went with "the program" so to speak... as far as ordering supplements and Cd's.

I found the "fellowship" of MWO, being able to say exactly what I was feeling, at any time and asking for help, without having to spell it out, was my success to over 125 AF days (with one slip)

I have heard nothing but good things about the CD's, and I truly believe...whatever works but I am not a CD type of person.

I have only just started taking supplements (from my local stores) to help with my body's much needed repair. And learned which ones I should be taking with the adivise from Kuya and others.

I personally am so glad you posted...your offered help really hit home....PPQ

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes I am quite pleased with the name. It's what I acknowledge practically every morning I wake up.

Congratulations on being AF. You must all be feeling amazing.

Comment

First Post

I feel a little awkward. I have been drinking for years and have finally come to the realization that it has to stop completely or I am going to lose my health. I have accomplished many things and have a wonderful family but have that lingering guilt over my drinking. Always ashamed and try to hide. So glad I found this forum.

Comment

Bac071982;1416198 wrote: I feel a little awkward. I have been drinking for years and have finally come to the realization that it has to stop completely or I am going to lose my health. I have accomplished many things and have a wonderful family but have that lingering guilt over my drinking. Always ashamed and try to hide. So glad I found this forum.
              :welcome: Bac...please don't feel akward...you've definetly come to the right place.

We're glad you found this forum too...PPQ

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you!! Looking forward to sobriety and wishing everyone the best!

Comment

Yes all of us here know too well that awful "guilt". It's horrendous first thing in the morning. Anyway, are you looking at trying Baclofen (because of your username)? I've read some pretty amazing stories about it on this site.

Comment

Forgotten Night;1416223 wrote: Yes all of us here know too well that awful "guilt". It's horrendous first thing in the morning. Anyway, are you looking at trying Baclofen (because of your username)? I've read some pretty amazing stories about it on this site.
                    No - I have never heard of it. I'll have to look this up. On to first day! Thank you for the support!

Comment

Working...
                    X