Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you tell people and how do you deal with 'peer pressure'

So, it's already begun.
    I'm a little annoyed actually with some of the comments I've received from people who I thought would be supportive. I told people I've stopped drinking and some of the reaction is 'Ha, good luck with that' in a tone to suggest I won't succeed.
    Others who have been supportive have said 'Well done and there's nothing wrong with having a sociable glass or two of wine with me though, when we meet up'
    Grrr!!!

I don't want to make a huge deal out of why I've given up, too much explaining to do. I want to just keep it short, sweet and credible. It's difficult with silly season kicking in to justify it to people also.

What do you tell people and how do you deal with people trying to encourage you to 'just have one'. I'd be interested to hear all suggestions.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Hey Moni

It is a hard thing to deal with sometimes, at least in the beginning. And I know exactly what you mean about the sarcastic "Good luck with that". It is such an unkind thing to say, since to me it means that person knows it is a struggle for you. (or me)

It is my belief that sometimes people with attitudes about your quitting are involved in their own struggle and may not want to face it. I suppose the trick is to KNOW that you must have your own best interests as the priority.

Irritability is a part of quitting too, and being sensitive to this kind of thing is normal. I just decided that I could not care about what anyone thought. The societal norm is drinking, but if you are viewed as "overdoing" it-then we have the stigma. It's like well...you are supposed to do it, but if you happen to be one of us-those with no OFF switch, well then shame on you. It's bs.

Please don't let anyone dissuade you from doing the best for you. Noone lives in your skin but you; they can have their opinions but they certainly can't carry your pain from excessive drinking. Hang in there and don't let anyone get you down!

Comment

Here's a couple links to threads that have discussed that recently:
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ing-70541.html
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ose-70544.html
      Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Working...
      X