Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to Introduce myself

Hi -

I a 61-year-old man living in the Midwestern U.S., and my main drug problem is alcohol, though I've also taken benzos for 30 years. I've tried AA and an outpatient group, as well as a group made up mostly of younger people court-ordered to attend drug education sessions. I started drinking when I had my first full-time job in 1981 - 3 beers a day, to be exact - and my use very gradually increased to 1 bottle of wine per 24 hours weekdays and sometimes up to 2 bottles a day on weekends.

Somewhere along the way I found out about Campral and Naltrexone, and a physician friend in another city prescribed Naltrexone for me (no doctor in my town will prescribe it unless it's strictly connected to an AA program). I'm at two months of 50 mg/day now, and in just the past few days I suddenly realized I wasn't getting intoxicated when I drank (or rather the intoxication is *much* weaker). The change happened all at once, whereas except for some initial placebo effect, I hadn't felt it was doing anything.

I would like to see what people are saying about Naltrexone, Campral, and the combination of the two. Specifically, I'd also like to hear about loss of libido and how people have dealt with it (periodic washouts?).

Thanks for listening!

Just to Introduce myself

Wellcome Scarface, I can't help with medication queries, would suggest you try the relevant threads, also the toolbox is a good place to look. Good luck.

Comment

Just to Introduce myself

Hallo there scarface....I have travelled the Same road as yoursef...Alcohol and Benzo addiction.Only difference is Im free of Both 27 years now....so it can be done.I attended AA for many years...Got Clear of Alcohol...but it took much Longer to get clear of the Benzos....Cutting down Gradually it took over 1 year......I had to give up both as they were now working anymore....After a short while Drinking i was drunk...a neucence.And my Tolerence for Benzos has gone so high that I was on an unbelievable amount to Keep the Withdrawls Pain away. So there was no other choice unless I wanted Death ,but to give them both the Boot.....I attended Counciling,AA,and ACA,...I found that the Problem originally started when I was a child...I came from a Dysfunctional Family....Both my Parents used Sedation on a regular Basis....Alcohol and Tranqualisers....I was Expert on Tranqualisers one time,but i could never give advice.. I think that an understand Doctor would be the Proper Route to take as to what to do next,thats what I did,he helped me....I wish you Luck in you Future.

Comment

Just to Introduce myself

Hi Scarface9 and welcome to MWO, This is a great community with lots of great support and advice here. I dont personelly have any advice on meds but there are many people here who do, here is a link and good luck

Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds - My Way Out Forums

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Just to Introduce myself

imnosaint;1416884 wrote: Hallo there scarface....I have travelled the Same road as yoursef...Alcohol and Benzo addiction.Only difference is Im free of Both 27 years now....so it can be done.I attended AA for many years...Got Clear of Alcohol...but it took much Longer to get clear of the Benzos....Cutting down Gradually it took over 1 year......I had to give up both as they were now working anymore....After a short while Drinking i was drunk...a neucence.And my Tolerence for Benzos has gone so high that I was on an unbelievable amount to Keep the Withdrawls Pain away. So there was no other choice unless I wanted Death ,but to give them both the Boot.....I attended Counciling,AA,and ACA,...I found that the Problem originally started when I was a child...I came from a Dysfunctional Family....Both my Parents used Sedation on a regular Basis....Alcohol and Tranqualisers....I was Expert on Tranqualisers one time,but i could never give advice.. I think that an understand Doctor would be the Proper Route to take as to what to do next,thats what I did,he helped me....I wish you Luck in you Future.
          Wow, 27 years free and much overcome with proper assistance. I truly commend you!

:welcome: again scarface.
          Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Just to Introduce myself

Hi Scarface and :welcome:

Hope you sort this out......you are in the right place to do so

Comment

Just to Introduce myself

hi scarface,go to the meds section mario told you about,read through some of the old posts,alot of questions i have are answered there,welcome!
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Just to Introduce myself

I'm not much help on meds but many here are. I want to welcome you to the board and I hope you find the help you're seeking!
                Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Just to Introduce myself

Welcome Scar.......Say hello to my little friend!!!!!!! Sorry couldnt resist. LOL

As others have said, I cant help on the meds side, but I do wish you luck on your new journey.

Poke around a bit, read as much as you can, and ask questions, there is no dumb questions. Someone on here has been or is in the same situation as you.

Lots of support and good ideas/techniques to help you quit
                  Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Just to Introduce myself

Hi there. I took Camparal for a while. It will reduce the cravings at the prescribed amount of 2 3xday. I stopped it because it was making me more depressed. I never filled the Naltrize script because of the side effects on the liver and the repeated blood tests and it also blocks all pain meds. I have back issues and it will block any pain meds you try to take. Never tried anything else. Just ordered the L-Glut on here and currently waiting to start taking that for cravings. Good luck and stay here. You can also do your own research on those drugs ans their side effects.
                    "Only a fool dances in a burning house"

Comment

Just to Introduce myself

meds

Hello
                      You really need to go over to the meds part of this website. I don't know what is causing your loss of libido. Are you taking naltrexone every day? Taking naltrexone daily may not be the right thing to do. There's a method called "The Sinclair Method" where you take naltrexone only when you drink, one hour before you drink. You don't want to reduce the effect generally of activities that give you a natural high and naltrexone, from what i read, can have an effect on pleasurable activities aside from drinking. I'm for sure no expert though so please research the book about the Sinclair Method by Eskapa and visit the meds part of this website for advice.

Comment

Just to Introduce myself

Thanks, everyone, for the welcoming words. I am trying the Sinclair Method as nancy describes. In an interview with Dr. Sinclair, he specifically stated there can well be problems with libido. On top of that I'm also taking Zoloft, which doesn't help in that department. Reducing my alcohol content should help, though. Thanks again for the kind words, and I will move on to the meds section.

Comment

Just to Introduce myself

scarface9;1417698 wrote: Thanks, everyone, for the welcoming words. I am trying the Sinclair Method as nancy describes. In an interview with Dr. Sinclair, he specifically stated there can well be problems with libido. On top of that I'm also taking Zoloft, which doesn't help in that department. Reducing my alcohol content should help, though. Thanks again for the kind words, and I will move on to the meds section.

Hi Scarface- I am currently taking Campral and Nal. I am alcohol free though. Sinclair method didn't work for me because I always forgot to take the pill. And when on a bender didn't bother even trying. The combo does help my brain feel more normal- whatever that is!

But it is working for me now - 20 days! Longest time i've had in years. I'm also taking gabapentin which really takes the edge off (not a benzo and not recreational) and gives me peace so that the thoughts don't consume me.

Good luck and ask me anything! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X