New to the site, 4 days AF, my story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a 46 yro male, married to a wonderful woman, I have 4 young children and I have been alcohol free for 4 days.
    My drinking began in my mid teens with the occasional binge and the weekends spent pounding beers with friends, late nights, saturday morning hangovers etc. By age 20 I was a regular drinker not the hard stuff just lots of beer lots of beer. College years didn't help my habit as I spent many mornings fighting my way through classes with a fat head and reeking of the previous nights partying. I some how made it through college and found a good job.

At the time I was single and nobody really cared if I spent the night out at the local bars till closing, half the time blacked out, not remembering how I got home or what I did the night before. Honestly I'm not sure I really cared, I'm sure I had quilt but I quickly put it to rest by the next night with my favorite anxiety medication Miller Lite.

At 27 I married a woman that I'm not sure I loved the way your suppose to love to commit to a lifetime of marriage. My drinking continued, I functioned well at work even though I had many mornings of cotton mouth and headaches. I had 3 children with my first wife, I masked a lot of our dis-functional relationship with happy hours and early evening drinking once the kids were in bed.

I got in my share of trouble with my first wife, occasional late night drunk fest, with me partying at the bar till late night with lord knows who. She would get very upset with me and we would fight and I'd try to improve but never really did. My kids were 4, 2, and 1 when my first wife met another man and decided to leave me. My drinking was certainly a factor in her leaving but there where many reasons both her's and mine that the marriage failed.

The pain of divorce and challenge of raising 3 young children if only half the time brought my drinking to a new level. I spent most of the next 6 months on a almost steady binge, I never drank or was under the influence when I drove my kids but I was pretty much in the bag the rest of the time.

At the same time that I was struggling with booze and heartbreak my other life, my career, was thriving. I had started a business several years earlier and we were doing very well. Hard to believe with my behavior, guess I was a very functional alcoholic.

I met my current wife ironically at a bar when I was almost at black out stage. She and another friend of mine drive my drunk @$$ home. I ended up marrying her a couple years later and we had a great little boy who is now 5yro.

Through the years with her I have continued my poor behavior. She has been very upset with me on many occasions and I can't blame her, she should of probably kicked me out long ago. I've vowed to cut back, quit for a while, learn to control myself so many times. Usually with in a week or 2 I'm back to my old ways.

This Friday night I think I finally hit rock bottom at least for me. For many months I have started to worry that my drinking has gotten worse and I have noticed I have been trying to hide it. Lots of gum for the breath excuses to spend time at the bar for long lunches, drinking vodka drinks cause they look like regular drink ice tea when on the bar. In the mornings I would have bad anxiety and depression although I rarely had a true hangover. I guess my guilt was starting to catch up with me and the alcohol was no longer my helpful friend it was becoming my biggest enemy.
    Back to Friday, I went to a party at a local bar without my wife where free drinks were being severed to a group of us. The people at the party were all heavy drinkers and the beers and shots were going down real fast. My blackout started sometime around 11pm and I arrived home via taxi around 2:45am.
    My wife really wasn't has hard on me as I have been on myself. Even though nothing really really bad happened, at least that I can remember, I am still very ashamed of myself. Saturday was a hard day, I beat myself up pretty bad over my awful night. My guilt, shame, horror, embarrassment, etc etc etc has overwhelmed me.

I knew I had to do something for myself to change, a real change not just a week or 2 on the wagon till my conscience eases, a real change. I got on-line and found this website read some stories, I've done all of this before they are helpful but I needed more. I then decided to call a friend of mine who has been a recovering alcoholic for some 30yrs. She suggested I go to AA with her. I went on Monday. I will be going to another meeting on Thurs morning. I have a dr appt today to look into an anti anxiety med maybe Paxil. Going to counseling on Monday and have taken off wok for a couple weeks to help me get away from some of the people that help me drink and spend time at the bar.
    By the grace of God I have never gotten a DWI or injured or killed anyone while drunk driving. I'm am sure my day is coming.

I don't really crave the AL but I have no doubt quitting completely forever and ever will be very very hard and I am trying every possible thing I can to make this work for me this time. It truly is one day at a time. I hope that in the months to come I will feel better not only physically but spiritually and emotionally. I hope I'm a better father and husband. The only mistakes I've made in life have been related to my AL addiction, can't wait to make it to the other side.

Welcome Cameron66. You've come to a good place. Taking time off from work to really concentrate on this sounds like a great idea along with AA and counseling. Check in here often. Read everything including the toolbox which is loaded with very good advice and strategy. I look forward to getting to know you. Check in first at the Newbies Nestc there are people in all stages of their quits and the support is phenomenal. See you later on the threads
    ~nurdl
    :notes:
    we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Welcome Cameron. You may want to head to the Newbie's nest. That's where people help each other along in the beginning and some old timers (lol) hang as well. You can keep yourself accountable along with others and feel like you part of a group and watch success happen.

Love,

Slay
      Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Welcome Cameron! You have found a whole bunch of people from all around the globe who understand what you are going through. We are all friends and are here to support each other. Best of luck!!
        February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Hi Cameron, sending tonnes of strength from the uk ;0) your story sounds like so many of ours. You can beat, you are right to think its a struggle it really is, but good things in life are worth fighting for and sobriety will give you a better marriage, make you a better father, if your business is already successful think how much energy you can put into it without the hangovers, anxiety etc.
          This site is good, read lots, I try to read books about recovery and spirituality too ( trust me I was not the sort of person to do this whilst drinking nightly!) now your planning to be out of the bar think of all the time you will have to be productive.
          My big piece of advice is exercise, I'm a fitness instructor so bang on about it all the time, but it is so beneficial for relieving stress, anxiety and depression. If I crave a glass of wine I out on my runners and go for a mad run and by the time I get back the craving has subsided.
          Stick with it, and stick close to the site and your AA guys. Let us know how you get on, also don't worry about coming on this site and saying you've stumbled because that's what we are all here for to encourage and help people fight it xx
          AF since 2nd Oct 2012
          Day by day

Comment

I posted this on your "other" thread :

Hi Cameron and welcome!

Boy can I relate! I LOVED my beer, I'm talkin' 12-14 every night...more on weekends. I'm sure my blood mainly consisted of Bud Light. I could smell it and taste it all day long, and I'm sure others could too, even though nobody said anything (to my face). Unlike you, I had horrible hangovers at the end. Not only was I dying mentally, I was dying physically and it was starting to show. The truth is I looked and felt like CRAP all day, every day. I honestly don't know how I functioned. There were times at work that I swore I was going to pass out and someone would stumble upon my unconscious body. I'd go out to lunch with my co-workers and just try to keep my food down. This was day after day, month after month, year after year. I always say that I finally quit when drinking became harder than not drinking. It's true...it was a lot of WORK to cover all of that up. My anxiety was getting the best of me. I called in sick more times than I can count...I just remember my last "day after", I laid in bed crying, begging God to please, please help me. That was last December 26th....

You CAN do this too. Stick close to us, keep reading and posting and sharing with us. You'll find that we can all relate in one way or another.

We're glad to have you here!!

K9
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Me too. I loved my beer. Budweiser in cans was all I wanted to drink. It was my best friend and in some ways my "god". Bud controlled all my actions.
              I never got a DUI, lost a job or any of that. But every time I got in trouble or ended up in places I normally would not visit, alcohol was involved.

Cameron, you are in a good place at a good time in your life. If you want to stop drinking, you can do it. I waited until I was 58 to start this journey. Good luck to you on your path.
              Love and Peace,
              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Thanks for the replays, I actually posted the same thread twice, not only am I new to sobriety I've never posted on a forum before, don't really know the protocol but I will catch on. Day 5 is here and I actually feel pretty good the anxiety is getting better.

Comment

make that replies, told ya I was new to forums, forgot to check my spelling

Comment

Hi Cam, welcome and well done on day 5. Physically the first week is the worst, but you know that as you have quit for a couple of weeks before.

Now is the time to really work for 30 days......by then you will have really cleared your head and be working on changing your mind with regard to drinking alcohol.

There is lots to read and people do better if they post often, getting this stuff in writing makes it more real somehow, plus you can read back and see your progress.

Comment

Any of you guys go to AA. I have been to 2 meetings each where I was the new guy. Everyone was very nice and supportive. I'm not sure it's for me. This first meeting I attended I felt very out of place and that's not to say I felt like I was "better" than them just have a very different life. The meeting I attended today was a bit better and again very supportive I just didn't relate to well with the folks in the group. My sponsor is a friend, an older lady that has been in AA for over 30yrs and really believes it's the only way. I called on her to help me but I am just not sure these meetings are really that helpful. Thoughts?

Comment

I've never been to AA either, it just didn't seem to be up my alley, and I would have to explain to my hubby where I was and I haven't even mentioned this site, or my plan. That would be too much for me to admit right now.
                        You mentioned your sponsor has been going for 30 years.....there wasn't this online option back then....AA was the only option for her.
                        Many here do go to AA as well. We all have different needs and use what we ourselves find helpful
                        I'm sure others will chime in soon about their experiences

Comment

Very true new day 30 years ago there we not many options.

Comment

AA works for me.
                            Love and Peace,
                            Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Welcome! You have a plan and got thru the first 3 days.:goodjob:

AA is not for everyone and I think the founder of this site started it to offer more options. I also recommend the Tool Box and the Newbie's Nest and read as much as you can. Someone mentioned exercise and that is an excellent idea. For some, just putting the bottle down isn't enough, fundamental changes offer easier sobriety.

I can assure you that life will improve in the following ways:

You will gain respect of others
                              No more alcohol-fueled anxiety
                              More time with your family
                              Feeling healthy
                              Feeling happy
                              Tons more energy
                              Better sleep - this takes a little while
                              Honesty
                              Loving yourself more
                              Being able to look yourself in the mirror
                              Etc.,

Good Luck and keep us posted on your journey.
                              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Working...
                              X