Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now that I'm sober, I've met a really cool person...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...and that person is ME!

With the exception of the first few shitty days, since the shackles of alcohol were removed almost a month ago, I feel like I'm just getting to know myself for the first time. And, I'm liking what I'm discovering. In fact, I'm loving it if the truth be told.

Gone are the intense feelings of anxiety, guilt, dread, fear, depression, short temper bursts, agitation, irritability, negative thinking, anger and frustration, sadness, crying, feeling sorry for myself, struggling, hiding. All of which had stopped my true personality from blossoming and flourishing. Dark clouds everywhere.

Instead a new woman has been emerging. One that is calm, kind, loving, caring, fun, confident, appreciative, self-assured, positive, focussed, energised, motivated and ambitious. All of which I am deeply grateful for. Feels like the sun is splitting the skies.

Alcohol has deprived me of 20 years of getting to know perhaps the most important person there is - ME. And I don't mean that in a purely selfish way, but if I'm not in a good place due to alcohol, then I'm no use to anyone else either.

So, on that note, there's no way the wee bastard is getting back in to steal more time away from my precious life. I've got a lot of catching up to do and quality time to spend - with MYSELF. And, do you know what? I've never been so excited about my future.

Love to all xxx

Beautiful post, JJ. I feel the same way.

Cat
    "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Well done JJ in seeing there is a new and better life out there,Just remember though that alcohol has got that awful inclination to jump back into your life when you least expect or want it,keep fighting the fight till your the only one left in the ring.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Catbuddy;1427469 wrote: Beautiful post, JJ. I feel the same way.

Cat
        Thank you. It's a good feeling isn't it xxx

Comment

mario;1427473 wrote: Well done JJ in seeing there is a new and better life out there,Just remember though that alcohol has got that awful inclination to jump back into your life when you least expect or want it,keep fighting the fight till your the only one left in the ring.
          Thank you. I'm glad I made the decision to discover that there is a new and better life out there without alcohol. In all honesty, I didn't believe anyone who told me this at the beginning. I just couldn't see how my life could be anything but miserable and a constant struggle without alcohol - pffft, now I can see it was the other way about.

And, yep, defo going to be mindful that if I let my defences down even for 1 night or for 1 drink even, then it'll back to square one in an instant. I never want my mind to be tricked into thinking I can do the moderation thing. Feeling so strongly about it, not only for discovering that there is a new and better life at the other end, but because I was robbed of so many years of happiness and I'm just not prepared to let that happen again.

xxxx

Comment

Same here....that person I THOUGHT I was with AL was down there waiting to get out! I'm so happy for you! Great post! B
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Sobriety becomes easy if you get to the point where not drinking is more attractive than drinking. I don't know how to tell anyone a way to get to that point, but there is a huge psychological element to sobriety.

It's funny, I started drinking regularly because it made me let my defenses down and let it all hang out. I was more outgoing and the life of the party. I liked drinking because it made me more appealing to others. And now that I'm not drinking I'm more reserved and less outgoing. And you know what? I LIKE WHO I AM. The reserved person is who I am; it's who I've always been. If people like me more because I drank and I'm acting differently, then they really aren't liking me anyway, now are they? I'm okay with not being the life of the party. I'm okay if not everyone likes me because I'm being authentic. I'm now true to myself and I am just fine the way I am.

Comment

I totally understand JJ. I feel the same. I'm naturally a cool person. I look back & wonder what the hell I was thinking.

Comment

I really liked your post JJ, and I look forward to being that someday. Currently I am still struggling but I've been hanging around here reading, and trying to get inspiration. I wish it would just stick for me as I've done enough cr*p. And just when I thought it couldn't get worse, it does. Thank God I haven't gotten a DUI yet because that what's next if I continue. My life would be ruined.

Comment

Awesome JJ
                    I feel the same way!
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

JJ-You said it. That's exactly the way I'm feeling. I'm so excited! Fortunately, it's only taken 10 years from me. I am on chapter 2 of my life and haven't spent more than 10 days sober in it. I'ld like to see what it's really like.

Sunnygirl-hang in there and get it together. If I can do this, trust me, you can too.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Working...
                      X