Sober Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sober Christmas?

Hi guys thought we could share some tips to stay sober through the holidays?
    AF since 2nd Oct 2012
    Day by day

Sober Christmas?

I sure could use lots and lots of tips....
    Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Sober Christmas?

hi moots,christmas is turning out to be a rough one for me too,the stress of it all is a lot! plus drinking is everywhere
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Hmmm...let's see...uummm...errr...DON'T DRINK!!! :nutso:

Attached files [img]/converted_files/2009616=7253-attachment.jpg[/img]
        Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Slaythefear;1429670 wrote: Hmmm...let's see...uummm...errr...DON'T DRINK!!! :nutso:
          I know you're right Slay but truly want a glass of red wine and I haven't had red wine in over 2 years.

Can't really fathom this. B. think it's failure of expectations. Everyone seems to be worried about celebrating with friends and family. I really don't have any family anymore and all my friends have in laws and parents to be with. I ave my own family of course but we are together all the time. Except for the music and present, not much different.

I am glad the girls are performing all over town. No one to go with or be close to but it's a distraction...

I really want to drink.
          On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
          *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Red wine was the first thing I wanted when I quit...lol. And I've never drank wine. I'm a beer drinker. I don't even like wine!

I even bought a bottle & stuck it in the fridge.. Man, my tongue would just squirm at the thought of it being icy cold. It was the oddest thing that I have done since I've quit.

I think it was the al mind trying to trick me into drinking. Like if I wasn't drinking beer, then I wasn't really
            drinking. Or it was trying to trick me into "moderating". Or both.

I finally took the bottle out of the fridge because I knew I wasn't going to drink it.

It's all a head game.

Kradle123;1429690 wrote: I know you're right Slay but truly want a glass of red wine and I haven't had red wine in over 2 years.

Can't really fathom this. B. think it's failure of expectations. Everyone seems to be worried about celebrating with friends and family. I really don't have any family anymore and all my friends have in laws and parents to be with. I ave my own family of course but we are together all the time. Except for the music and present, not much different.

I am glad the girls are performing all over town. No one to go with or be close to but it's a distraction...

I really want to drink.

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Moots, I didn't mean to make light on your quest for suggestions. I know for me, I try to avoid the situations when I'm weak, but this time of year, many can't. My thoughts came to well, just DON'T. Couldn't come up with clever suggestions.

Anyway, took a little google search which you might want to do, but it's the same as any other time of year as far as solutions go.

Handling urges to drink - Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA

Thought the dessert idea was good. There are always a lot of goodies to stop the urge with if you fill up on them.

The holiday season can present all kinds of temptations and triggers for those who are trying to stay clean and sober. As others celebrate the season with alcohol at parties and family gatherings in can be difficult to not give in. How do you avoid drinking during the holidays? What tips can you give to those facing their first sober New Year?

While everyone else is consuming all those empty calories of poison (hahahaha) I'm having an extra big piece of cake, some other sweets, whatever! My metabolism works again so I HAVE NO GUILT when eating dessert! I would have guilt however, if I drank. So, dessert makes me a happy camper Maybe even some hot coffee or hot tea too! Yum

How Do You Avoid Drinking during the Holidays

Hi Kradle. Hang tough, mom. HANG TOUGH. THAT THERE STUFF WILL KILL YA! IT's poison ya know and those youngsters want to let you see your grandchildren. Read Skendall's post again. That is some great motivation.

Love,

Slay
              Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Slay, some really good suggestions there. If you think about it, we are almost in the home stretch of this thing. 12 more days. I find a couple things helpful....

I have a policy of ZERO TOLERANCE. I will NOT have AL no matter what...no matter who. This policy helps. I don't give a rip who says what about it, this is MY life and I can NOT drink. It tried to kill me, I know its position, it IS out to get me.

I like to VISUALIZE getting thru the evening and getting home sober. This is a powerful mind-tool. Visualization of success.

I have an great investment in my quit...I guard it with my life...like I would a pot of gold.

If you need party tips or stuff like that, there was a thread started by Catbuddy that was really helpful.

If you don't have a sober Christmas now, then when? Next year won't be any easier...the same pressures will be there. I am finding this second Christmas to be 100 times easier than my first one. Don't put off the inevitable...stay sober this time.

Finally, use the power of this Website. Just look back thru the many years (just search by dates) it has existed and read people's post who fell, and how they felt about it...many still struggling today....

Getting and staying sober is the best gift I have ever given myself. It is a relief. I wish you all the strength to get thru the next 12 days....and really, as I say below, all you gotta do, is get thru THIS day! Enjoy the holidays and your family....Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Sober Christmas?

'Getting and staying sober is the best gift I have ever given myself'

that's awesome Byrd. Yes, Happy Holidays to Me! and "zero tolerance" love that too.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Slay - my god, that link you posted - how do you avoid drinking... - some of the posts rang bells as soon as I started reading it... as in "Have i not read this before?.... on MWO....No, can't remember that.... but I HAVE read this before..." And then it clicked - simply a page (or posts) i had seen what, maybe, 3 years ago, 4?

Has me think... I have been thinking about my drinking "issue" for a long time before i landed at MWO. Kinda supports too the commitment to being AF.

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Thanks guys, I find with the people I'm honest with ie, husband, parents it's all good but some friends don't know and this is when I'm weak. I have survived 2 parties so far with 3 more to go!
                      Happy sober holidays guys. Xx
                      AF since 2nd Oct 2012
                      Day by day

Comment

Sober Christmas?

hopefully I will be able to stay sober over the hols I know it will be hard

Comment

Sober Christmas?

I like finding new things to have as a special drink. I had some warm spiced cider today that was divine. I do love my tonic with lime too.
                          :notes:
                          we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Sober Christmas?

wtf?
                            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Have to say, eggnog is mighty tasty either way, so for a treat, it's nice without the AL added. It's, also, heavy and may help you put those urges to sleep because you get full.

Comment

Working...
                              X