Sober Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sober Christmas?

Mootsbill;1430108 wrote: Thanks guys, I find with the people I'm honest with ie, husband, parents it's all good but some friends don't know and this is when I'm weak. I have survived 2 parties so far with 3 more to go!
    Happy sober holidays guys. Xx
    Moots, I have found that with people who you have not told about your struggle, just keeping a glass full of something in your hand at all times works really well. Most people just don't notice, and assume you are drinking something alcoholic. And keep yourself well-fed. Good luck to everyone!
    AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Cranberry juice and perrier in a wine glass is yummy. Most people won't notice, if asked just say you need the cranberry juice right now for health reasons? Personally, I just said I wasn't drinking.
      Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Mulled cranberry with a cinnamon stick is pretty tasty and classy too.

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Oh mulled cranberry sounds yummy x
          AF since 2nd Oct 2012
          Day by day

Comment

Sober Christmas?

I've been bringing my own bottle of AF wine with me when visiting people. I'm a cheap guest. They do comment at first but after a few glasses of wine themselves they forget I'm drinking non-alcoholic. It's alright, I've found a brand that's bearable but it's hard to find in the stores.
            I'll be stocking up for xmas day but after xmas want to get myself off it as I'm sure it's not the best thing to be drinking healthwise anyway. My biggest challenge is if I have a night out where I'm going as people are more into their drinking in that region and find it difficult to understand somebody not drinking. Bringing the car won't be a great excuse so will have to come up with something that will just shut people up if they start.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Sober Christmas?

RingingCedars;1430463 wrote: Mulled cranberry with a cinnamon stick is pretty tasty and classy too.
              Recipe??

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Sober Christmas?

the mulled cranberry does sound good - ditto from Moni - recipe please!
                and Moni, which AF wine have you found that works? I have not found a good one - there is a sprakling which is not horrible if really cold and that worked for me at a summer celebration, and might work for NY, but would love to find a AF red wine that is bearable...
                “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Byrdlady;1429985 wrote: Slay, some really good suggestions there. If you think about it, we are almost in the home stretch of this thing. 12 more days. I find a couple things helpful....

I have a policy of ZERO TOLERANCE. I will NOT have AL no matter what...no matter who. This policy helps. I don't give a rip who says what about it, this is MY life and I can NOT drink. It tried to kill me, I know its position, it IS out to get me.

I can't tell you how many times this has saved my ass! 'Not One ~ Not Ever ~ No Matter What ~ No Matter Who' & 'All's I got Do Is Get Thru This Day'

I may not always be able to remember the rest you & others have taught me, but this I can. You have no idea how many times in the last seven months I chanted this line. :thanks: I love you!!!.... :l :h

I like to VISUALIZE getting thru the evening and getting home sober. This is a powerful mind-tool. Visualization of success.

I have some training in visualization & it really helps me to. I go to my happy place. Or Meditate, which I need to do.

I have an great investment in my quit...I guard it with my life...like I would a pot of gold.

I think I will add this to my tool box.

If you need party tips or stuff like that, there was a thread started by Catbuddy that was really helpful.

Okey dokey

If you don't have a sober Christmas now, then when? Next year won't be any easier...the same pressures will be there. I am finding this second Christmas to be 100 times easier than my first one. Don't put off the inevitable...stay sober this time.

Yeppers

Finally, use the power of this Website. Just look back thru the many years (just search by dates) it has existed and read people's post who fell, and how they felt about it...many still struggling today....

I have spent hours reading the archives. Wowzies ~ some fantastic recovery & life skill building secret gems here.

Getting and staying sober is the best gift I have ever given myself. It is a relief. I wish you all the strength to get thru the next 12 days....and really, as I say below, all you gotta do, is get thru THIS day! Enjoy the holidays and your family....Byrdie
                  I plan to make it & I know I will! Nothing is taking my sobriety from me Byrdie!!! I have one Holiday season under my belt it was so wonderful! This year it's OK to a bit of a bummer, but I'd take OK, over 'Alcohol Hell' any day!...

Comment

Sober Christmas?

scottish lass;1430577 wrote: the mulled cranberry does sound good - ditto from Moni - recipe please!
                    and Moni, which AF wine have you found that works? I have not found a good one - there is a sprakling which is not horrible if really cold and that worked for me at a summer celebration, and might work for NY, but would love to find a AF red wine that is bearable...
                    There is a range on sale in one of the supermarkets called FRE - Californian Alcohol Free wine. Their white claims to be Chardonnay. I never drank Chardonnay, I was a Sauv Blanc drinker - a fussy drunk! But if this is chilled it's nice. Not as fruity and sickening as most.They only stock the 'Merlot' and 'Chardonnay' here. I've just found their site and see they do a lot more. Fre Wines

The other main choice is a German brand and I was never partial to German wine anyway so haven't even tried it. Carl Jung Non Alcoholic Wines - Carl Jung Nonalcoholic Wines Imported from Germany by JungWines

There is also a new one out on the market from the Spanish winemakers Torres. I find this a little too fruity and more than one glass is a bit sickening, however it is the most widely available at the moment. Torres Natureo Muscat Non-Alcoholic

I find it frustrating that I can browse 2 aisles of wine in the supermarket and only find one choice of alcohol free on the very bottom shelf at the end hidden with weightwatchers wine.

I'd be interested to know what sparkling you've tried. If it's available here would get it for Christmas or New Years.

Comment

Sober Christmas?

I don't really have a recipe gals but found this link. I would use any combination but most importantly I love the addition of cardamom seeds. Put in a slow cooker and keep low all day.
                      Cooks.com - Recipe - Mulling Spice

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Thank you RC, will give this a go for sure.
                        Moni, I am here in California and love wine, so the AF is a problem for me - the AF sparking I enjoyed (well chilled) is Ariel Brut...ARIEL Brut Cuvée | Ariel Vineyards trying to post link as you did, but am not very technological so may not manage...
                        I have read about the Jung wines but have not tried.
                        it is so true how hard it is to find alternatives!
                        “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Sober Christmas?

Thanks Scottish Lash. They do stock Ariel AF wines in some shops here but have not seen the sparkling at all. I find the AF beers a little more pleasant and easier to get. There appears to be a slightly better choice of them.
                          I might start looking at inventing my own AF drink in the New Year. Dragon's Den here I come

Comment

Working...
                          X