An Amazing Gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Amazing Gift

The best gift I've ever received in my life - besides life itself- is the gift of freedom from addiction. It was actually something I had to work quite hard for - even fight for - at times. So maybe it's not a gift after all. But it certainly has made all the difference in my life...as in the difference between life and death - a place I was rapidly heading toward ahead of my time.

I wish this freedom was something that could be wrapped in pretty paper and passed on. The best that I, or anyone else here, can do is to help encourage and provide practical advice to those who are struggling. AND to provide... HOPE. There is HOPE. I know this. I am living proof of it.

There are many here who inspired me. The lovely LAV and the beautiful Byrdlady are two amazing humans whose words and actions made a life-changing impact in my world. I am deeply grateful to the nurturing and wisdom I received in those critical first months in the Newbie's Nest. You two are among my heroes. There are many others here whose words and ways have made a difference. I am living proof of that, too! Thank you for your gift of time...and your gifts of hope.....

The decision to go alcohol free was amazingly liberating. Looking back now I wonder - WHY was I so afraid to let go of drinking? It seemed so frightening then. Fortunately, the fear crumbles quickly in the light of living fully again. And the strength that comes from smacking down an addiction can empower us in other areas of our life as well.

I didn't give up drinking. When I stopped the cycle of addiction and stop putting the poison in my body, I started living again. I got renewed health and a sense of inner peace I never had before.

The gift of hope that I would like to share this season is that of?.contented freedom. It is there for the taking. For anyone?any time?.
    Sober for the Revolution!
    AF & NF July 23, 2011

An Amazing Gift

Got to agree with you turn....merry christmas to you
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

An Amazing Gift

Great post Turn - perfect for this time of year. Thank you. Have a great Christmas!

Edit - actually the post is perfect anytime of year!

Comment

An Amazing Gift

What beautiful words...I have the same debt of gratitude to Lav. She is the ultimate blessing. Thank you so much for those kind words....that means the world to me...there is NOTHING like being free from this addiction. All the best to you!!! You made my day!!! XXOO, Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

An Amazing Gift

What a lovely post that makes so much sense to me.

I truly believe I've received the best gift there is by being free from alcohol addiction and I also can't understand why I was so fearful at the thought of giving alcohol up. There was absolutely nothing to lose and so much to gain. I genuinely don't feel as if I have sacrificed a thing, yet I thought I would have to sacrifice so much.

Feeling very grateful, lucky and liberated this Christmas

xxx

Comment

An Amazing Gift

Right on sister.

Merry christmas.

Gbloke. :h

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

An Amazing Gift

Thank you so much Turnagain. What an awesome post. So beautifullly expressed. Thank you for that gift of hope. So many need to hear it. Our sobriety IS the best gift of all. Your post shared the wonderful peace and happiness we can all have when we are free of our addiction. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas.
              AF since 12/2/12
              http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

An Amazing Gift

i like it turn! merry christmas
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

An Amazing Gift

Thank you Turn, I needed to read this tonight as I wallow in self pity - your words are wise and honest and I need to sort myself out - thank you for this gift...
                  “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

An Amazing Gift

Merry Christmas Turn!
                    You have worked hard to make a new & better life for yourself
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

An Amazing Gift

So very true. Thank you for posting your words Turn.

Merry Christmas
                      AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

An Amazing Gift

excellent post! thanks for the reminder!

it is a gift, and it is given to those we love and to ourselves so that we can be the genuine people we were meant to be! let's pay it forward!

peace!
                        10-06-2012

Comment

An Amazing Gift

Thank you, Turn.

Such a great post. I appreciate all your posts. Needed to hear tis today.

Hope you are having a onderful Christmas

TDN
                          "One day at a time."

Comment

An Amazing Gift

Thank you for this post turnaround it's such a good one. I have struggled today with my quit, felt angry and irritable with people around me who could drink ;0( I don't know why because I've got through Christmas before and it might be a hormonal thing, but I felt down and inadequate all day, this made me really want to reach for the drink, I didn't and I tried desperately to put a brave face on it all as I know it's my problem and not anyone else's. This evening I've stayed up late, alone just get some peace and quiet to gather my thoughts and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
                            Reading your post reminded me how hard I have to work at this for my good and for my kids and family too xx
                            AF since 2nd Oct 2012
                            Day by day

Comment

An Amazing Gift

Thanks

Thanks for such an inspirational post. I can relate to the fear of giving up alcohol - in the past I'd abstain but always be just a little bit afraid of myself. I look forward to the future, getting past the fear and feeling the freedom you feel.:thanks:

Comment

Working...
                              X