Cancer Research UK's - Dryathlon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunno if anything similar is taking place outwith the UK, but Cancer Research UK has launched a fundraising campaign whereby people are sponsored to abstain from alcohol for 1 month throughout January. Dryathlon – Cancer Research UK

Up until recently the thought of a month without alcohol would have terrified me (no way would I have even considered the 'challenge') and I do think the Dryathlon is a good idea to raise funds for a great cause.

HOWEVER, at the same time, because my perception of alcohol has changed so much over the past 7 weeks, it also makes me feel a wee bit uncomfortable. I know of 4 people so far who have signed up for it and they have either emailed their sponsor page link or put in on facebook and their accompanying 'speel' has included: -

"I can't remember the last time I went 4 days without alcohol never mind a week so a month is a big challenge for me"

"Everyone knows how much I love my Brewdog beer, wine and vodka and my bf says I am going to struggle, so I am determined to do this"

"I can feel the shakes already!"

I dunno what I'm trying to say really, just that it seems a bit scary to me that it is obviously so perfectly acceptable for people, so-called "normal drinkers", to declare just how difficult it is going to be for them to cut out alcohol from their lives for a temporary period. I wonder if it ever occurs to them that they could in fact be potentially hooked on a highly addictive drug if they are going to find it so difficult to abstain?

Am I just being totally OTT in my thinking lol?

xx

JJ,
    What an interesting campaign!
    Isn't it amazing to find out the depth of people's attachment/addiction to AL? The folks making predictions about how difficult it will be giving up AL for 1 month are addicted & either don't realize it yet or not ready to admit it yet
    A truly 'normal drinker' would not have to express those needs or concerns, huh?
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Yip - it just goes to show just how socially acceptable drinking actually is on a grand scale and how normal it is deemed to have alcohol as a major part of your life. Most of the people who responded to the facebook posts were like "rather you than me buddy", "ooft, good luck with that!" etc etc.

It'll be interesting to see how people get on.

But, yeah, I think so many people are actually dependant on alcohol and have absolutely no idea that they are due to the aforementioned social acceptance of it all.

xx

Comment

Working...
      X