First Nightmare of Drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been AF for 8 days now and last night I had my first dream where alcohol was present, I was tempted and I drank. I didn't want to drink in the dream because the drink was chardonnay, and I am a picky drinker, at least when starting out. After I have had a couple drinks (or finished a bottle) I'll broaden my options. Anyway, I had two large glasses of chard, I was taking one to my mom and I had gulped one half down because they were almost spilling. Once I had those gulps I wanted more, so I gave my mom the half-full glass and I took the over-full one. Then I wanted to find the bottle and escape outside with a pack of cigarettes (part of my old routine) but the bottle was almost empty and I only had a half-burned ciggy left because I quit smoking and my mom wanted to bum one anyway and the dream kinda ended there with none of my plans working out which was ok with me. But it still bothers me.

I think the dreaming is a result of my mother coming back into town. I have been talking to her on Skype and each time I do she has a glass of chardonnay in her hands. We have always commented on our drinking and smoking together. She gets back into town tomorrow and I am worried about the additional stress that her company and her habits will have on my continued success and sobriety. It is difficult trying to become healthier when most of my family participates in problem drinking behavior. At least I already have one week under my belt, and the rewards for one week have been tremendous, so I am just going to focus on those, and if I need to, come on here more and see a counselor. Merci! A Bientot!
    :thanks:
    :earth: Tree23

hi tree,i can relate me and my mother are huge drinking buddies,i try to be strong around her but her personality is so strong i end up caving! i hope you can be stronger than i am
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi Tree - my mom doesn't drink at all - so I'm lucky there. My Dad, however was an Alcoholic and he was much more serious than a Chardonney Gulper about his drinking. He was in and out of rehab since I was little and I never had the opportunity to grow up around him as my Mom divorced him when I was very young. Which as it turned out is a double edged sword - it was good I didn't grow up with an Alcoholic, but it was bad that I didn't see direclty what could happen as a result of being an alcoholic.

Anyway, I had several dreams in my first few days of stopping drinking this time involving drinking some wine and I felt so depressed about it in my dream, and was so happy to wake up and realize it wasn't true. I think it is just the stress of the whole thing playing out in our subconcious.

The good news is that if we hang in there we never have to drink again!
      Life is better without Alcohol. 5/26/13

Comment

Working...
      X