The close call thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The close call thread

my close call of the day,ive been coming down with a cold the symptoms feel similar to a hangover,first thought"i need a drink to feel better" stupid thought!
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

The close call thread

My "close call" had one yesterday, not had a good week, but y/day managed to get ready to go out for a late walk did not feel like it but made myself) it felt like i was going back in time for a strange reason it was dark and cold, but the darkness felt like it was on me where i felt i was all on my own, felt really lonely, posted on mwo. But aftewards walking back home there was a off licences with it bright lights, dont know why but it made me feel warm inside like it was welcoming me to come in from the cold. Was staring at the off licenses for awhile thinking to myself maybe one just maybe......Was so glad when i got back home and made a cuppa to warm me up.
      Formerly known as Teardrop:l
      sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
      my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

The close call thread

Last night I was driving home and passed my favorite liquor store (yes, the one where I'd flash the clerk with my ripped pants...lol) and I found myself looking at it longingly. Then I thought to myself "Wait...what am I desiring so badly...liver disease and lung cancer?" There was no way I was going to stop, but I found it weird that I was staring it down so hard...not sure what I was hoping to see! LOL
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

The close call thread

K9Lover;1446219 wrote: Last night I was driving home and passed my favorite liquor store (yes, the one where I'd flash the clerk with my ripped pants...lol) and I found myself looking at it longingly. Then I thought to myself "Wait...what am I desiring so badly...liver disease and lung cancer?" There was no way I was going to stop, but I found it weird that I was staring it down so hard...not sure what I was hoping to see! LOL
          you were looking at your past. I do it too. It's a healthy thing to do. Looking at where we've been and how much we love where we are going :l
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

The close call thread

techie;1446228 wrote: you were looking at your past. I do it too. It's a healthy thing to do. Looking at where we've been and how much we love where we are going :l
            You're exactly right! And I was thankful that I don't "have" to stop there anymore!
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

The close call thread

ugh close call yesterday bad! i get back spasms from time to time,i would normally drink the pain away,so i thought back and truthfully when i would drink the pain was actually still there duh,my brain just wasnt,so i talked myself out of it went to bed early,still had pain but,today its gone and im not hungover! so yay for me
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

The close call thread

great idea for a thread! I haven't had a minute to read it all but I will later today.

I still do a middle finger salute every time I pass one of my old liquor stores. It just feels good!
                ~n
                :notes:
                we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

The close call thread

Hey, i'm really enjoying reading about everybody here avoiding their close call!

It seems the strategy for thinking ahead is working. Well done to those who have and who have woken up feeling healthy, happy and proud the next morning

My close call came today. I wanted to cook lamb shanks and do you think i could find a recipe that didn't contain r/wine? No, of course not! I'm sure i could have made do, but i wanted to test myself and see how i would go.

First decision was to decide whether i would go ahead with the recipe. Of course, i decided "yes". The second decision involved a strategy for buying the culprit and not getting drawn into the same old scenarios. I had also decided that if it all got too much, to abandon the idea and cook a cassarole instead (always good to have a contigency plan, take heed!).

Basically, i ran into the "shop" and quickly bought the culprit. The lady offered me a bottle for the same price and i made a resounding "No"! She must have thought i was a freak.

The most difficult bit was opening the culprit (the smell, oh the smell!) and of course, me being as pig-headed as i am, i had to take a sniff, lol. Man, that was hard! I poured it all in and put the container in the bin. I am going to take the bin out tonight so there is not one trace of it in my house.

The whole time my roast was cooking, i could smell the culprit! I decided that perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to include it in my cooking and have decided to avoid recipes containing it in the future.

The meal was nice, however, i'm sure i could make it with some beef stock, lots of salt, pepper and some herbs and it would be equally as nice

In a funny way, i think i was tempting fate today by cooking with the culprit. However, whilst it was tempting to throw all that hard work out the window, i still chose to drink cordial and soy milk, eat chocoate and have a second helping (kind of defeats the purpose, but you know, it was there). All that work i did at the gym today has now gone out the window! But, at least my skin is clear and my eyes are bright

Now, off to have a ciggarette to deal with the anxiety, lol.
                  One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

The close call thread

Hi everyone just thought I would share this, The last 5 weeks I have gone through a very tough time, Had an awful amount of emotional hurt & angry feelings to deal with (some of you know what it was) and it really brought me down, it brought me so down that I nearly went back drinking,I actually had it planed out and ready to go on a binge for a week and then to stop and start all over again Just to drown my sorrows and self pity. In my head I was justifying that a week drinking would solve all my internally issues and heartache, I have never came so close to drinking before and it was only with talking it out with my partner that I decided that it was a ridiculous idea and would only bring me back to the old sorry person that I once was and loose everything that I have gained, Even though I am 2 and halfish years alcohol free I no now how easy it is that the power thought of alcohol can easily still come into our minds especially when we feel so vulnerable, We are always just one drink away from falling back into that horrible life, I feel & hope that I have overcome this urge to drink and with reading posts & threads here and talking to all my friends & family I am now getting back my old self confidence, Thanks.

I wrote this nearly a year and ahalf ago and it was the closest I came,just thought I would share it here.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

The close call thread

mario;1448210 wrote: In my head I was justifying that a week drinking would solve all my internally issues and heartache, I have never came so close to drinking before and it was only with talking it out with my partner that I decided that it was a ridiculous idea and would only bring me back to the old sorry person that I once was and loose everything that I have gained, Even though I am 2 and halfish years alcohol free I no now how easy it is that the power thought of alcohol can easily still come into our minds especially when we feel so vulnerable, We are always just one drink away from falling back into that horrible life, I feel & hope that I have overcome this urge to drink and with reading posts & threads here and talking to all my friends & family I am now getting back my old self confidence, Thanks.

I wrote this nearly a year and ahalf ago and it was the closest I came,just thought I would share it here.
                      Mario, the problem/s would still have been there after the binge. It's good that you used forward thinking as a strategy and "thought it out". That's what we all need to do. I know how you feel with the personal issues and i am trying not to turn to that old ugly habit again. I kind of realised today that i have been using alcohol as a crutch, to escape some deficits that i have, deficits that have been present (most likely) since i was a teen. As hard as it is, i feel it is a hurdle that i either have to get over or else it will always be a 'wall' that will block me from moving on with my life, and moving to a hopefully better life. That hurdle isn't going to go away until you look at it, observe it, confront it and climb over it.
                      One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Working...
                      X