Time to Stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to Stop

Im new to the forum. I am a 45 year old male, living in South Florida. I have been drinking since my teens and have for about the past 8 years been drinking just about every day. I am tired of the hangovers, the anxiety, the moodiness and the general feeling that I am wasting my life. I dont drink in the mornings or afternoons, but in the evenings I dring atleast 4 of 5 Vodka cocktails. I am sick of it...sick of myself, for permitiinig this to continue. I hope that I can find some help and guidance here..Im really over this feeling. So here goes..day one is out of the way...felt quite a bit of anxiety today..took some SAM-E for the anxiety and plan to push on through....No Happy Hour or cocktails...I will not allow any outside influences to derail me today...any advice will be welcome.

Thanks

Peter

Time to Stop

There are lots of great tips here: Tool box

I found the concepts of "urge surfing" and "witching hour" to be very helpful in quitting drinking.

You might want to try one of the active support threads like the newbies nest, just jump in and tell us about yourself. Another good tip is just to read as much as you can here, because there are some great sayings that will benefit you when the craving hits.

I'm glad you are here, and I hope you stick around. :welcome:
    "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
    AF 11/12/11

Comment

Time to Stop

Hi Peter. I'm on Day 2 as well, and I, too, am sick and tired of the hangovers, the anxiety, the moodiness, and the general feeling of wasting my life. Alcohol has become part of a horrid, vicious circle of financial worry, lack of focus and motivation, and depression, and it's time to stop.

I haven't been active here before now but I have lurked from time to time over the past two or three years and am impressed by how many understanding, helpful, and caring people there are here. I think we've come to a great place for support and ideas (thanks, Pinecone!).

See you around!

Comment

Time to Stop

Pinecone, your link didn't look like it worked....it is also in my signature line below.
        We sure can help you, please fine your way to the Newbie's Nest, (always listed under New Posts, and hit the Last Page). We have folks there on Day 1 also, you can have a quit buddy! We are glad you found us...we have lots of success here! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Time to Stop

Byrdlady;1443853 wrote: Pinecone, your link didn't look like it worked....it is also in my signature line below.
          We sure can help you, please fine your way to the Newbie's Nest, (always listed under New Posts, and hit the Last Page). We have folks there on Day 1 also, you can have a quit buddy! We are glad you found us...we have lots of success here! Byrdie
          Thanks to all of you..I am going over to the Newbie Page...perhaps I can find a "Quit Buddy" as you called it. I truely am sick of this...

Comment

Time to Stop

Welcome Peter. You've come to a great place of support. I look forward to getting to know you. We can heal together!
            Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Time to Stop

Hi Peter and welcome.

Your story sounds a lot like mine, though I was partial to rum and cokes (but vodka would do just fine too).

I can't say enough good things about kudzu and l-glutamine for cravings in the early days. The powder form of l-glut you can put under your tongue for quick help. Also I have found valerian helpful for anxiety (it's also good for mild sleep issues).

I hope you stick around; keep reading and posting, it really does help.
              AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Time to Stop

Having a bout of anxiety...... right about now I would be on my second or third cocktail....had 1500 mg of l glute about an hour ago......guess I just have to ride it out!

Comment

Time to Stop

pixie;1444035 wrote: Hi Peter and welcome.

Your story sounds a lot like mine, though I was partial to rum and cokes (but vodka would do just fine too).

I can't say enough good things about kudzu and l-glutamine for cravings in the early days. The powder form of l-glut you can put under your tongue for quick help. Also I have found valerian helpful for anxiety (it's also good for mild sleep issues).

I hope you stick around; keep reading and posting, it really does help.
                  Thank Pixie!

Comment

Time to Stop

hi peter,welcome to mwo its a really cool place to be read around,ask questions if you need to,its a really helpful place if you stick with it
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X