Facing up to the truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facing up to the truth

Hello - thought I should sort of introduce myself having been lurking for a while. After a long time looking for the solution to my problems at the bottom of a wine/gin (or to be frank anything else available) bottle I faced up to the fact I couldn't carry on as I was living. Seem to have left it a bit late to get any support from my non-drinking partner as he doesn't believe I can do it. Last drink was on 8/12/2012 so having got through Christmas and New Year I'm hoping I survive this week which will get rid of my birthday.

Like many of you, I've done loads of stupid things whilst drunk and suffered quite a few injuries falling etc. The giving up is worth it for the freedom of being able to drive my car when I like, not get up in the fog and general feeling of vileness.

But by God its lonely once you quit.

The people who hated me drinking still do, the friends I drank with are still best mates with the bottle.

Hoping life improves now

Sylv
    AF since 9 December 2012 :yay:

Facing up to the truth

spiderwoman;1443859 wrote: Hello - thought I should sort of introduce myself having been lurking for a while. After a long time looking for the solution to my problems at the bottom of a wine/gin (or to be frank anything else available) bottle I faced up to the fact I couldn't carry on as I was living. Seem to have left it a bit late to get any support from my non-drinking partner as he doesn't believe I can do it. Last drink was on 8/12/2012 so having got through Christmas and New Year I'm hoping I survive this week which will get rid of my birthday.

Like many of you, I've done loads of stupid things whilst drunk and suffered quite a few injuries falling etc. The giving up is worth it for the freedom of being able to drive my car when I like, not get up in the fog and general feeling of vileness.

But by God its lonely once you quit.

The people who hated me drinking still do, the friends I drank with are still best mates with the bottle.

Hoping life improves now

Sylv
    Hiya Sylv, and a big welcome to you,

Great going on your sober time since the 8th of dec. That's just sensational. Keep it going.

Yep, it can be lonely once we quit, or it seems that way, but i prefer to look at it as exciting. It can be a bit scary, our 'new' life, and reclaiming ourselves, and for me, it took a little while to get to know myself! I had to leave my drinking/drugging buddies behind, but i still see them from time to time, and the friendship is still there, just that i don't hang out with them regularly anymore. When i visit them, i'll arrive late, and leave early. There may be some former friends though, that we just need to cut ties with completely. I must put my sobriety first and above all else. It can be a matter of life or death for many of us.

Keep it going and protect your sobriety at all costs.

There is a cool website called 'Spiritual river' focusing on addiction which is worth a look.

p.s. have you read our toolbox thread? Here it is https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Best wishes, G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Facing up to the truth

Hiya Sylv and welcome

Im new here too. Well done you on getting through Christmas and New Year, if you managed that you must be strong and brave and your birthday should be wee buns
      Dont feel lonely xo

Comment

Facing up to the truth

wow you got through xmas and new year thats an amazing start

Comment

Facing up to the truth

Welcome Sylv, You will find lots of help here. Making the decision to change is so important. You have to do things differently if you want different results. You already are off to a great start! The MWO book has lots of great ideas too. Looking forward to seeing ya around the boards.
          Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Facing up to the truth

Thank you for the warm welcome, and the link to the Toolbox, I'm trying to read my way through that!

One thing I have noticed since stopping the booze is that I could sleep 15 hours a night - is this common?

Thank you all you brave people for sharing your stories, its taken me too many years and cost far too much on every level so no time to waste on going back

Comment

Facing up to the truth

good work spiderwomen
              you should be very proud of yourself
              keep up the good work

Comment

Facing up to the truth

spiderwoman;1443936 wrote: Thank you for the warm welcome, and the link to the Toolbox, I'm trying to read my way through that!

One thing I have noticed since stopping the booze is that I could sleep 15 hours a night - is this common?

Thank you all you brave people for sharing your stories, its taken me too many years and cost far too much on every level so no time to waste on going back
                We're all different. For me it took a couple months of being sober before I could sleep thru the nights. At first I had horrible nightmares about drinking. I would wake up in a panic and thought I had started up again. Now I sleep peacefully and wake everyday excited to learn how to enjoy life sober!
                Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Facing up to the truth

Hey spidey - :welcome: You gotta good stint of AF time going there - :goodjob: Keept trucking, posting, reading!

RC

Comment

Facing up to the truth

did you ever attend AA? cause it wasnt for me

Comment

Facing up to the truth

Hi Sylv and welcome

The last few years I spent most of my drinking at home by myself (or hiding it from my husband, so really still alone). I was very used to not trying any new things, because it would just interfere with my nightly session. But now I'm seeing there are lots of opportunities to do things - movies, theatre, clubs (like a photography club, not a night club lol), art classes, exercise classes, museums. I think it takes time to re-adjust your thinking on how to spend your time; the people part will follow. Good luck!
                      AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Facing up to the truth

welcome to mwo spiderwoman!
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Facing up to the truth

Welcome to MWO Spiderwoman!

We're glad you've found us. Congratulations on your sober time so far...that took some real strength to get through all the holidays...and you DID IT!!

Your sleeping is probably just your body trying to heal. I know I slept A LOT when I first quit...I'd almost sleep ALL weekend long, just so I wouldn't drink. Do whatever it takes in the first few months, you body will let you know what it needs.

Stick close to us, we can help :l

K9
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Facing up to the truth

Hi Spider W.

I hear an incredibly strong core of strength with in you. :l

Stay close to us until your husband is able to support you as well. He will eventually, I believe. Mine did/does and I put him thru ALOT!

I too like K9 slept a great deal mainly as a means not to drink in the evening which was my witching hour or hours!

Stay close!

:l:h
                            On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                            *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Facing up to the truth

Hi people

Thank you for the support and encouragement, it'll really help.

I had to be off it for at least a month before I could believe its possible to give the stuff up for ever. An old friend who lives in New Zealand and who gave up 11 years ago put me right on food supplements etc and has been terrific support as well as my eldest son. The rest are either ex drinking friends or family I've alienated.

Today was a landmark for me as I was asked what my tipple was (somebody wanted to buy alcohol for me and I said without thinking "I don't drink" - a first. I probably wouldn't have answered that directly before I joined this site last weekend so a massive

:thanks:

Sylv

Comment

Working...
                              X