Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 weeks

Hi,

Regular reader but dont post as much as I should.

Toughest night tonight.
    For the last 20 years I have always played darts one night a week with different teams.

Pissed off that I cant do that for the next while.
    Really big match tonight (local derby as such ) and lots of banter on facebook about the game tonight.
    I have made my excuses that I am in work !!
    Texts from my drinking buddies asking me to finish early and c'mon down.
    They are not close friends so dont want to tell them the truth.
    Most of these lads are heavy drinkers so wouldn't think I have a problem.

Maybe in the future i may be able to return to playing a game in the pub without drinking.
    But for now I cant take that chance. I need to give myself a chance this time to quit.

This has been my toughest "quit" .

Hopefully it will get easier soon.
    Although its not all doom and gloom. Feeling much healthier, sleeping for Ireland ;-)
    Back running which is a real help, and of course, this site and all of you is my biggest help in quitting. Reading your stories gives me a lift.

Hope you are all keeping well.

Damo in Dublin
    Still trying !!!
    AF 25th June2014

2 weeks

Hiya Damo,

Good man on getting 2 weeks under the belt. Im sorry you have to miss the darts but if thats what it takes to stay AF then stick at it for now. Im avoiding certain friends at mo too just to avoid temptation until feeling bit stronger. It will hopefully be worth it.

You're the one whos nabbed the sleep fairy then? Give her here for a bit!

Best wishes and keep strong xo

Comment

2 weeks

Hey Damo

It can really suck - not doing the things you've always done before, and enjoyed. And maybe you question why on earth you would want to give up something you have always enjoyed... I think you're wise to it. I think you recognise real friends from people you happen to hang out with... and I think you realise that, for you, not drinking is more important than darts.

Don't know if this helps for you - it helps me just now - but to think a little more in the long term. Yes, the battle is one day at a time, but I also believe that further down the AF road it actually gets easier, there are moments of epiphanies when I might hopefully go "eureka" - got it! And be thankful for being AF. And I wont get there if I blow it on "just one night out" or feeling so pissed off (as I was earlier today) that i think "f**k it, all I want to do right now is drink"... I need to fast forward a day... or even imagine where I might be if I ever got to, say, 6 months AF (eek!), and realise that I just need to get through this moment/day/evening... and to keep trucking.

You're doing well Damo, keep going, mate.

RC

Comment

2 weeks

Great decision Damo ! It will get easier & you WILL get to go play darts again without drinking - takes a little time is all !!!:goodjob:

Another Dub

Comment

2 weeks

Sorry to hear this quit is so hard but you're Damo the man who did a sunshine holiday without booze. (My Hero)
          Can you think back to how you felt there,hun.

It's not forever. I stopped going to our weekly pub quiz for a few weeks but I got back into it. Haven't been for a while though the team sort of gave up when every one got Smart phones.

Darts is probably one of those things that you can return to and hit the board rather than the barmaid, the woman in the corner with her chicken in the basket and the light bulb after 17 pints.
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

2 weeks

hi damo,good job on two weeks! sometimes it feels like two months to me,it is hard giving up some of our "fun" activities,but at least were getting healthier
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

2 weeks

Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement.
              Nice to wake up with no regrets.

Instead of going out drinking, I re arranged my sons bedroom with him and played some games of darts with him instead and had a really nice evening.
              Woke up very happy indeed, and planning a nice run this evening although its bleedin freezin here :-)

Thanks again

ps JC, you are a pet x
              Still trying !!!
              AF 25th June2014

Comment

2 weeks

Hi Damo!

Congratulations on 2 weeks, that's bloody fantastic! (
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

2 weeks

Thanks k9 , I was delighted this morning waking up , I will hold onto that thought.

My drinking ways were ........ First two pints i would drink so fast to get to that relaxed feeling ..... Next two and i was feeling really good .......then it went downhill from my next drink , wanted to be alone drinking and as the night went on i would get more and more depressed , thats how my recent drinking has been.

Hopefully this is all in the past .....one day at a time for me :-)
                  Still trying !!!
                  AF 25th June2014

Comment

2 weeks

Good decision. Make your sobriety the most important thing. It does get easier and life can be fun again. I'm living proof!
                    Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

2 weeks

Hi Damo :-) good advice given already, you have been here before so you know the drill, keep posting keep reading.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

2 weeks

Great stuff Damo.

You are following your truth path. Keep it going. G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                        X