Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Previous alcohol use slowing weight loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to drink very heavy? Now it is once/week, wine.

I had weight loss surgery, am eating a very small amount and not losing any weight.

If the previous consumption is causing the slow down, how long will it last?

Ellen

Not sure... I noticed I'm having a lot of trouble losing weight since I stopped drinking but other people lose tons of weight since they quit.... I think everyone is different.
    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

hi tx ellen,im thinking the body is somehow in shock or something,ive actually gained weight quitting! i truly dont understand it at all,when drinking id get late nite pizza,taco bell etc.never gained a pound,now ive cut that monkey biz and i gain?! really weird
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Alcohol slows your metabolism by depressing the central nervous system, so the continued drinking even moderately will most likely keep it suppressed at a lower rate.

When I was drinking daily I gained about 1 lb per month, so if I don't do anything but stop drinking I would only lose 1 lb per month. In order to lose more than that I need to also increase physical activity and reduce food caloric intake as well.

Comment

I used to think that when I stopped drinking that the pounds would roll off-- I mean-- 1000 less calories a day? They would have to right? But it did not happen for me. What I learned at least anecdotally for me is that I think alcohol especially in womens bodies does a real number on our metabolism. I had to completely stop and not drink AT ALL for about 6 months for my metabolism to normalize again. I won't lie-- it was so frustrating. However, in the initial months alcohol free I lost the puffy look that we get while drinking and looked far better so that was a boost-- and I have now lost 50 lbs-- lost that in about 4.5 to 5 months after that initial non-losing spell. So hang in there! I exercised as well but nothing too insane and followed weight watchers. Good luck.

Comment

wow 50 pounds,thats great ATL!
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thanks, Pauly. I don't post much here any more but I lurk for inspiration :-)! I had to post on this though because I do think it is true-- I don't think everyone sees that effect with alcohol but I think it is processed differently in some way-- and just slows things. I know some folks say it keeps them thin and if that's true then this thread doesn't apply to your case-- but I think way back even Oprahs old trainer Bob Greene discussed the difference between alcohol calories and others in terms of the effect on metabolism in one of her books-- it stuck with me-- and it was way before I had ever had a drinking issue. I gained a ton of weight during pregnancy then never lost it due to post partum depression. That in part led to my drinking and of course the weight went nowhere. So about a year and a half ago with the help of MWO and especially a member named Ruby Willow, I stopped drinking. As I described on this thread, after 6 months my metabolism began to support weight loss. It was after about 9 months I got serious about losing it and lost 50 in 4 to 5 months . I want to lose maybe 10 more. Sobriety and the weight loss are both possible-- I am proof of it! Good luck!

Comment

That's great ATL!!!! I have a question, during the initial 6 months, were you exercising and trying to lose weight? Or did the 6 months go by, metabolism changed THEN you exercised? I have a ton to lose, 55+lbs.....and I am very curious of everyone's experience. I have gone down 14lbs so far since Jan 1st, with no booze, healthy eating and 4-5 days a week exercise (weights and 20 mins cardio). I work at a gym and was told by the manager and trainer there that doing the weights first and cardio secondary was the way to go.

Comment

I was dieting but not consistently exercising. I didn't add a ton of exercise to the mix though when I did exercise but I was consistent about the frequency of it. I always did cardio and did strength 3 times a week for about the first 2 months. The cardio I consistently did -- and do still.

Comment

Phin-14lbs in 16 days, WOW!

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Thanks Over! I'm like a Biggest Loser contestants! I have a lot to lose so it came off easier, lol!

Comment

TX Ellen, I also had weight loss surgery and lost over 100 lbs. At the time I was not drinking. I then had some serious trauma happen, stopped eating, and lost about another 30 lbs. As a coping mechanism I started drinking. Over the past 6 years I have started eating healthier but have continued drinking so have gained some healthy as well as not so healthy (alcohol) weight. So I am still at the original post-surgery weight. I think our systems are especially vulnerable to alcohol and also to food absorption, so it might take a while for your system to get back to pre-alcohol. You might consider talking to your bariatric doctor. How long have you been working on losing weight and are you adding any exercise? I have been going strong for 3 weeks but haven't seen any shift in the scales, however everyone is saying I look slimmer, and I was reminded about muscle mass weighing more than fat etc. Don't give up hope. I just went to the doc today and she said that 3 weeks wasn't all that much time, compared to the 6 years of drinking.
                        :earth: Tree23

Comment

I'm pretty sure this has been talked about here before, but weight loss surgery increases your chances of alcohol abuse. Just Google "wls alcohol". Here's a link: Weight Loss Surgery Increases Risk of Alcohol Addiction in Some - ABC News

Comment

I find it interesting how often I have heard that weight loss surgery leads to drinking. I think it is through mineral depletion and the brain being deprived of energy and learning it can get it easily through alcohol consumption.

Comment

kuya;1445270 wrote: I find it interesting how often I have heard that weight loss surgery leads to drinking. I think it is through mineral depletion and the brain being deprived of energy and learning it can get it easily through alcohol consumption.
                              Great minds, huh? Ellen, be very careful with your once a week wine consumption. You might want to stop it entirely if you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X