Ativan for Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to post this in a couple of places. I didn't know this but Ativan can be prescribed for alcohol withdrawal seizures. Here's one article, but there are more out there:

Lorazepam for Alcohol Withdrawal Treatment | eHow.com

Doctors prescribe lorazepam to quell short-term anxiety symptoms or to manage the anxiety sometimes associated with depression. The medication also works to treat panic attacks and anxiety. All these effects can be useful when a patient is experiencing withdrawal from alcohol. Seizure is another symptom of withdrawal from extremely heavy, prolonged alcohol use, and lorazepam can also be an effective tool for preventing these seizures.

Among the benzodiazepines, lorazepam in particular may be good for alcohol-withdrawal treatment because of the short time it spends in the body, making it safer for people with liver problems, and because of its relative lack of effects on the respiratory and circulatory systems. Lorazepam may not only prevent the first seizure from occurring among recovering alcoholics, but also prevent future seizures after one has already occurred. Hospitalization is common in patients who suffer repeated seizures, so lorazepam may be useful in cutting down on hospital admissions.

Lorazepam is, however, potentially addictive, so doctors must use care in prescribing it and monitoring its use, especially in patients with alcoholism or other known addictive disorders. Withdrawal effects can sometimes be seen in lorazepam users after as little as a week of use. To avoid dependence-related issues, doctors generally try to prescribe the lowest effective dose and for the shortest possible duration. The drug can be dangerous, leading to respiratory depression, and possibly even death, in overdose situations with alcohol.

In addition to its anxiety-reducing properties, it also has strong amnesic qualities, meaning patients who take it sometimes lose memory of the time spent under its influence, though tolerance to this side effect develops quickly.

Warnings
    Lorazepam can cause side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, headache, dry mouth, impaired coordination and blurred vision. When using the medication, caution should be used if driving or carrying out other tasks that require you to be alert. Use during pregnancy is not recommended.

Read more: Lorazepam for Alcohol Withdrawal Treatment | eHow.com Lorazepam for Alcohol Withdrawal Treatment | eHow.com
    I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Hi Rainy,

I take Ativan sometimes. I was first prescribed it over a year ago to help me get through the first few days of not drinking. My doctor keeps it available for me in case I need it. I haven't noticed a "high" or anything from it. I take a very low dose, and occasionally I take a higher amount for sleep. In fact, I was just thinking a few minutes ago that I hadn't even taken any in quite a while, but I did take some yesterday since I am (AGAIN) trying to quit smoking...it does calm the nerves! Yes, it CAN be addicting, but it can also be another very useful tool in getting (and staying) sober.

K9
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Yes, I've actually been prescribed to it for several years but never got addicted. I only have used it when I woke up with a panic attack, and that's only been the past year. I never took it in the daytime. Until after I quit drinking Saturday. It didn't get me high either.

I have been taking two a day, around 3pm and midnight when I can't sleep.

Amazingly,I have not found a need to take my 3pm pill today! (eastern time so it's 4:30 here!)

So I am sure I won't get addicted. It's not my kind of addiction. I'd rather get high.

Definately some people need to use caution.
      I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Working...
      X