Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new, Where do i begin?

:new:

Hi everyone, I am 40 years old and 3 weeks Married, two young beautiful kids, 5 and 3 yrs and thinking about a third before it is too late:l

I have been drinking ever since my grandma gave me bianco at 11 and my dad was taking me to workingmens clubs at 15. Not stopped since. I drink nearly every night, if I can and my staple diet is about 1 and 1/2 litres of vodka per week. I am not normal, but you wouldnt think so, I get up every morning and teach full time, I am a teacher. I am happy, confident and content, but i just can not stop drinking!

TODAY, I want to make some kind of pledge. I took my first of 6 campral about 15 minutes ago.

I would really appreciate advice on how to kick start!

:thanks:

Welcome honeysuckle,

Welcome to the forums! I like your story and it is similar to a lot of others on these boards.

You state TODAY you want to make "some kind" of pledge. Lets work on this together. What are you considering your pledge may be?

Lets get this locked down today so you can start asap.

What are your thought?
    If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic.

Comment

Hi Honeysuckle and :welcome: to MWO.

best place to start is to jump into the newbies nest. There are many there in the early days of quitting .
      Also go to the toolbox for lots of tips and ideas for sobriety.

This is doable, there are successes here all the time

KY

Comment

Thanks , wow, so fast!

MARTYE I want to quit today, but I dont want to fall off the wagon, because i ALWAYS do. I want to say that today is day 1.

KUYA, thanks, I will look in the nest and also read your doctor wilson link article.

Comment

Quick hi to you too Martye...... How's it going?

Honey......the first week is hard, then it gets easier. Most people never get past the first few days cos they fear it will stay as hard.......if it did no one would quit.

Get knuckled down to work ...... You are a teacher ......everything worth having takes work and commitment.

Also read and read and log in often and post loads. Putting feelings in writing makes them more real and organised.

I wish you courage, cos luck has nothing to do with it :h

Comment

Why do you want to quit? What will the benefits be of quitting vs not quitting?

Have you seen a doctor? Do you have support of family and friends?
            If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic.

Comment

kuya;1447153 wrote: Quick hi to you too Martye...... How's it going?
              Kicking arse dude!

Comment

martye;1447158 wrote: Kicking arse dude!
                Loving your work, Marty, loving your work

Comment

welcome honey! the camral is supposed to be pretty good for cravings ive heard but ive never taken it,just stick around here and read,read,read
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Welcome honeysuckle!

Glad you have the help of campral and hope it works well for you and I agree w others just read and read... Lots of helpful advice and find what works best for you. Good luck!
                    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Hello from another newcomer, the first week or two were hard but then I saw how much money I saved and weight I lost, it kept me going. Its a bit lonely when you stop but I've found reading advice on here has really helped.
                      AF since 9 December 2012 :yay:

Comment

Spider woman: great to hear that! Good to hear you lost weight when you quit! That's additional motivator for some of us... The money saving aspect is definitely a plus ESP in today's economy!
                        Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                        A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Thanks to everyone, looking forward to getting to know you guys.

I am not drinking tonight. That is pledge number 1 done n dusted and I have had 6 campral today and I also feel very happy and quite chuffed.

Is there a place I can write if I ever just want to update myself or steam off or bla bla to myself without clogging up the forum? I want to write why I should and why I shouldnt quit lists and some reflection and stuff. Is there any mentoring or 'buddy' system?

I am not doing this with anyone, any doctor. It is an unspoken thing with my husband (a constant problem in our marriage) but I can say everything to my mum but she is back home (UK) and I cant just call all the time.

Spiderwoman, If I can lose some of this weight I will be really pleased too! I will follow your success

The Big question is: how do i stop myself from convincing myself that I am ok and can have a drink. I actually really want to quit but need help convincing myself to do so? Does that make any sense at all?????????

Comment

Honeysuckle, get your bones over to the Newbie's nest!!! It's always listed under New Posts....then hit Last page and you will find the current stuff. Once you are there, find Siren136's posts...put your cursor by her name with the dot and right click it. You'll see 'all posts by Siren136' Find her first posts...she did it hour by hour. She checked in with the Newbie's nest every hour that first day, and each time she did, she listed a reason why she had to stop this madness. It was an amazing thing to see and we cheered her on the whole day! She is on Day 5 now, and kicking major BUTT!! Also, the link to the Tool Box is in my signature line below, there are 100's of tips and coping skills to help you get thru these first challanging days. If and old drunk like me can do it...I KNOW you can!!! Welcome aboard!!! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Brydie, You are an amazing woman and it is so nice to get to know you!!! Honey we are all here to help you and if you follow the wise words of our Brydie, you will do well, indeed!
                              Byrdlady;1447436 wrote: Honeysuckle, get your bones over to the Newbie's nest!!! It's always listed under New Posts....then hit Last page and you will find the current stuff. Once you are there, find Siren136's posts...put your cursor by her name with the dot and right click it. You'll see 'all posts by Siren136' Find her first posts...she did it hour by hour. She checked in with the Newbie's nest every hour that first day, and each time she did, she listed a reason why she had to stop this madness. It was an amazing thing to see and we cheered her on the whole day! She is on Day 5 now, and kicking major BUTT!! Also, the link to the Tool Box is in my signature line below, there are 100's of tips and coping skills to help you get thru these first challanging days. If and old drunk like me can do it...I KNOW you can!!! Welcome aboard!!! Byrdie
                              Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Working...
                              X