I made a new friend today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so excited....I made a new friend today. She reminded me a lot of myself before I began drinking. She had my same happy go lucky bubbly attitude. Her zest for life was contagious. I had to take a double take....cause this new friend I made today was my sober self staring back at me in the mirror while I was brushing my teeth. I will remember this day each and every time I feel like I want to drink....and remember my friend, ME!
    "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
    ~Author Unknown
    AF since February 4, 2013

Ya for you! I'm so glad you were re-introduced. That's an awesome story to tell.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Oneredshoe;1453218 wrote: I am so excited....I made a new friend today. She reminded me a lot of myself before I began drinking. She had my same happy go lucky bubbly attitude. Her zest for life was contagious. I had to take a double take....cause this new friend I made today was my sober self staring back at me in the mirror while I was brushing my teeth. I will remember this day each and every time I feel like I want to drink....and remember my friend, ME!
      That is GREAT! I've heard it said that you can only love another to the degree that you love yourself. You can want another more. You can need another more but you can only LOVE another to the degree that you love yourself. Self love must come first and I looks like you are well on your way to being comfortable in your own skin. Great on YOU!!! :goodjob:
      Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

wow... that was great ... finding your old self
        hopefully I can find my old self

Comment

Merry you can do it!

merry;1453240 wrote: wow... that was great ... finding your old self
          hopefully I can find my old self
          Merry you will find your olds self and maybe a new and better self. I have been doing a ton of soul searching and and trying to figure out what, when, where, why and how I began drinking the way I was....mind you I have had my slip ups, it is all starting to make sense to me. None of it matters now but it does if that makes sense. I truly BELEAVE that we are all put on this earth for a reason and we are exactly where we are meant to be at that moment in time.....but we all have a CHOICE, and where we are at any given moment in time and the choice we make at that very moment can drastically change our path in life. My past is my past....I DON'T LIVE THERE ANYMORE! I have faith that one day you will wake up, and look in the mirror and find a new friend! Read Hippymans response.....it is so true!
          "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
          ~Author Unknown

Comment

I am fairly new here and still desperately trying to find my way out as so many of you have....but just had to post that this post made me cry! I know I see glimpses of my old self from time to time and it is just time to re-acquaint my self with me again! So glad you have found your old self again....gives so much hope to people like me!

Comment

Texas40;1453254 wrote: I am fairly new here and still desperately trying to find my way out as so many of you have....but just had to post that this post made me cry! I know I see glimpses of my old self from time to time and it is just time to re-acquaint my self with me again! So glad you have found your old self again....gives so much hope to people like me!
              You have plenty of reason to be hopeful Tex. We are people here who have a common disease...alcoholism. We are sick people learning how to heal and get well not bad people trying to learn to be good. Alcoholism is a deadly disease and there is a cure. You are well on your way to a whole new way of being. A new world of sobriety is waiting for you. THE BEST HAS YET TO COME!
              Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

What a great story, thanks for sharing
                If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic.

Comment

Texas40;1453254 wrote: I am fairly new here and still desperately trying to find my way out as so many of you have....but just had to post that this post made me cry! I know I see glimpses of my old self from time to time and it is just time to re-acquaint my self with me again! So glad you have found your old self again....gives so much hope to people like me!
                  Well Hello Texas40......

I couldn't agree more with what Hippyman said! I don't have nearly as much knowledge as other folks here do, what I can tell you is that it is the people here that inspire me and that help keep me strong and committed to my sobriety. Stick close to this place!
                  ~Author Unknown

Comment

Oneredshoe;1453253 wrote: Merry you will find your olds self and maybe a new and better self. I have been doing a ton of soul searching and and trying to figure out what, when, where, why and how I began drinking the way I was....mind you I have had my slip ups, it is all starting to make sense to me. None of it matters now but it does if that makes sense. I truly BELEAVE that we are all put on this earth for a reason and we are exactly where we are meant to be at that moment in time.....but we all have a CHOICE, and where we are at any given moment in time and the choice we make at that very moment can drastically change our path in life. My past is my past....I DON'T LIVE THERE ANYMORE! I have faith that one day you will wake up, and look in the mirror and find a new friend! Read Hippymans response.....it is so true!
                    Merry.....I wanted to clarify what I said because I fear my words came out all wrong....we are all here for a common reason....we struggle with alcohol. At one point or another for whatever reason we chose to drink, which for most of us probably changed the course of our life path in one way or another. But we have all chosen to be here and fight for our sobriety which will again change our life path. Our pasts our our pasts and we shouldn't live there anymore....but move forward and chose to fight for our sobriety. When I said that one day you will find your old self and maybe a new self I wasn't implying that your old self was bad....I meant that knowing that we are stronger than the alcohol may make us look at ourselves as a new and improved version of who we are. I hope that all made sense. When I reread my reply to you it just sounded bad and really kind of came out all wrong....I was talking more in the sense of myself but at you. Keep up the good work and I know you will find yourself!
                    ~Author Unknown

Comment

That's so awesome love this post ***hugs***

Comment

I love this post Onered! Made me tear up also! I feel much stronger and more like "me" since I started my journey with this amazing site only 1 short month ago!!
                        Live in the "NOW". :h

Deb

Comment

I love that post and made me cry. I want to find my old friend in me. The nice funloving person that enjoyed life and being around people. I don't like this not nice person I've become

Comment

So glad that you have been re-aquainted, what a wonderful post!. One of the many gifts that await each and every one of us!:h:h:h
                            "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

Working...
                            X